“Hotel gem in bustling suburb”

Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #17 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I spent a lovely week here, wanting a small independent hotel close to Sydney city centre by public transport and we weren't dissappointed. Excellent links into the city make this an ideal location in a suburb which was busy but not over-bearing. Atmosphere was relaxed, breakfast lacked a little choice over a week period but was perfectly adequate. Plenty of places to eat locally from take-away pizza right opposite the hotel, lovely ice-cream parlours, through to good restaurants, recommeded by Alan, our host at the hotel, all within easy walking distance. Some of the hotel furniture and fittings are looking a bit tired as has been said in other reviews but, for us, this added to the charm. One tip on the public transport system if you are going to be there for a week; buy a "MyMulti3" ticket for A$60 and you can travel by train, bus and ferry pretty well without limits, even a train to the Blue Mountains. We used the ticket just for a mini "cruise" on the river down to Parramatta. The hotel is excellent value-for-money at a time when, for UK people, everything looks quite expensive in Australia because of the exchange rate.
Overall good value, great location, welcome, service and cleanliness.

Room Tip: We took a slightly more expensive courtyard room which sounds a bit grand. as the courtyard was quit...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
There are newer reviews for Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels

Reviewed March 22, 2012

This gem of a hotel sits right in the perfect area for your stay in Sydney. It's a Doggy friendly Boutique-ish hotel that is wonderful. The owner and the staff make you feel like your family, staying in someone’s home. Hospitality, service, breakfast, the roof top patio, all amazing & access to a real Fitness Facility!
I was performing at the Sydney Opera House and have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, and I love this place. Myself and my 16 performing Doves have never had it better. This is where I am staying anytime I am in Sydney with or without my feathered friends! Stay here you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but I loved the ground floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 582JamesD
alanmzzz, Manager at Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Hello James

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review about the Altamont.

Whereas it is very true that some of our rooms are pet-friendly, it was definitely a first for us to have hosted 16 doves along with your good self.

It's great that too you enjoyed our proximity and nearness to the city. Darlinghurst is like a village - amid hip cafes, clubs, bars and restaurants. Also glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our Fitness First gym passes.

I look forward to seeing you again when next you are performing at the Sydney Opera House.

Cheers from sunny Sydney........Alan

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Got a good rate online and as I sit in a surprisingly spacious room at the Altamont, am pretty happy with what we have received. Location is good. My gf booked this, and when I saw its proximity to Kings Cross on the map, I was a little concerned about the potential shadiness of the area. Fret not. The Altamont is located in a quiet, suburbanish part of Darlinghurst, one highway crossing away from the Kings Cross that we all know and uhhh love (I guess). Safe at night, quiet, no complaints. From the city center, can either take a two stop train ride or a 15 minute walk down the hill. Very well located. Rooms are quite stylishly appointed, spacious, no complaints at all. Staff have been nice and helpful (although I did have a quick run in with the owner who seemed to think I was trying to break into my room one morning...mental note...that black hoodie makes me look like a thief apparently!). More than happy on the whole, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: not a room rec, but we went wandering in search of food one night, just up Darlinghurst Rd and aroun...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This was our first hotel experience in Australia and it was wonderful.

The biggest asset of this hotel is their staff. Allan the manager was ever so helpful and attentive, all the way with my impossible-to-pin-down booking dates until the end of my lengthened stay (we stayed there for one week and half in two rooms). He was absolutely a gem. Some advices he gave me were really usefully candid and not your typical sugar coated ones from a chain hotel Concierge. The cleaning staff did a more than decent job too. And contrary to most of the miserable looking chamber maids one has come to expect, they actually seemed to be happy working there.

For all the gym bunnies out there, there's unfortunately no gyms in the hotel. However there are 3 nearby. Rooms were all relatively smaller, but I really appreciated their minimalistic and tasteful decor. Everything was functional and visually pleasing (except the "wardrobe", you'll see). The bathroom was again functional and clean, however it could do with a bit more counter space. The bed was softer than I usually like, nevertheless, we had very good sleep on it every night.

I have to make a special note about their front lobby/restaurant/lounge/bar. The hotel was a high end restaurant and it was later turned into a full hotel. It possessed this airy, not-so-shabby-but-very-chic bohemian, ... energy? Every day, I walk into that space for my breakfast, I was always first delighted with its soft Jazz or Bossa nova music and then welcome by the mellow fresh breeze. Allan or his colleagues were always there with their friendly smiles to greet you.The tables, chairs, sofas are all well used and maintained with this patina just somehow congruently worked with everything. It was just so very marvellously relaxing.

Lastly, it's location. It is right between Kings Cross and Oxford road and it's not in your typical touristic harbour local or CBD. So it's not very crowded. And you are within walking distance to Hyde Park. But you are very close to Kings Cross station which allows you to get anywhere with the well planed Sydney public transit. However, as a side note, the system is not very user-friendly. I had to use this free app on my IPhone called "Trip Sydney Lite" to help with my planning and guidance with all the transfer. But you'll get the hang of it after couple of days. When not sure just ask, it beats missing your transfer by getting onto the wrong platform.

The hotel is really great for couples and small family or singles. Might not be the greatest for business travellers as it does not have a Business Centre (I'm sure if you need, Allan will let you use their office equipment) and not very close to CBD. The weekend nights, Kings Cross can be a bit rowdy as it is close to some of the best clubs in the city. But it is very safe as the front door is locked every night. You enter with your room key from the side.

There are many great pubs and eateries around the area with reasonable price tags (which is rare in Sydney). Don't miss Kings Cross Hotel for their Happy Hours, Fishface's seafood, Guzman y Gomez's Mexican and Mad Pizza e Bar's thin-crusted oven-baked pizza. All within walking distance.

Over all, for its price tag, it delivered superb value. But don't expect 5 star hotel facilities, their tasteful decor and friendly staffs more than made up for it. I would definitely go back for another long stay in Sydney.

Room Tip: 1) If you are a light sleeper, get a court yard room as it is quieter. However, the other rooms seem...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidzLi
alanmzzz, Manager at Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

G'day David

Thanks you so much for your amazing review about our hotel. You are a true ambassador for the Altamont; and your tip about the Courtyard Rooms is certainly right - they are so quiet that some of our guests sleep in...

I will look forward to you staying again when next you are in the Harbour City.

Bye for now.......Alan

Reviewed March 9, 2012

If you are looking for two holidays in one, look no further. If you really want to wind down after a business meeting, this is the place to it.
Perfectly located just east of the city's CBD, this unique hotel and its even more dedicated and unique staff are the best guarantee you can get for a optimal holiday experience.
The knowledge and dedication of staff is second to non, dining tips or day-trips, directions or other wishes, they will take care of it and deliver what you expect.
Never cahnge a winning team, never change your place of stay I'd say. Go there and live the experience.

Room Tip: There are 12 rooms, of which 4 or 5 have a small walled garden. Rooms 4 and 6 for sure.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Herman Jan M
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Me and my friend stayed at the Altamont Hotel Sydney for a week, as she was visiting me from Sweden.

It was a great week!

I was overthrilled by the sevice and quallity, it was much more than I expected! Concidering it wasn´t very expensive, I actually didn´t expect such a great hotel...

I was wrong!

I´m staying in Australia for two more month, and I definetly want to come back to Altamont!!!

Clean, fresh and and very friendly!!!

I recommend this hotel, 100 %!!!

Thanks a lot, Maria from Sweden

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Altamont Hotel. The atmosphere was relaxed, the people friendly.
This lovely hotel is situated very close to bars and restaurants.
We would definately stay there again on our next trip!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple