“Disgraceful”

APX Apartments Darling Harbour
Ranked #117 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I have used the Quest chain many times and never had reason to complain and wondered how the switch to APX might change things. "For the worse" is the answer. The service throughout was lamentable and the general approach to business can only be described as penny-pinching - I mean, who seriously provides 2 tea bags per day and even then does not replenish the meagre supplies. To top it all, I had the misfortune to be there over a public holiday, which fell on a Monday. I was informed late on Saturday that my next room service would therefore be Tuesday. Soggy towels, no toilet paper, tea, coffee or milk and a complete abrogation of responsibility, presumably to avoid paying penalty rates. So the hotel saved some $ but I still paid the full rate for a lesser service. Try the Hyde Park Inn nearby, give this one a miss.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank andym616

Reviewed November 14, 2013

That's what they are...after speaking to the desk twice, and phoning for a spare pillow, one was never received. I put cushions on my bed so it was clearly obvious I needed pillows...the staff puffed them up for me...thnx

Safety was a serious issue...fire alarms and fire department turned up. The staff made NO effort to evacuate the building and carried on letting people come and go as if NOTHING was happening.

No tv for a week, and NO effort to fix the problem...for a hotel with this rating a star or 2 should be removed.. Not for me again im afraid.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol S
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The TV did not work for the whole five nights we stayed there, we had to ask three times for a spare pillow and then gave up. Room was not cleaned to the standard expected and the staff we very unhelpful in general. My wife and I have used the Quest chain on many occasions but will not be using them again if they have changed to APX Apartments.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil S
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We arrived at 8.30am to drop our bags off and were let straight into a room on the 2nd floor, the room was huge, queen bed, sofa, desk, table, large balcony with chairs and table facing the street. Bathroom was shower only, good pressure, plenty of hot water, had plenty of vanity room for our stuff. Little kitchenette, microwave, cutlery, dishes, kettle and a mini bar. Except for the wine you have no idea what anything in the mini bar costs. My 'sofa' bed was made up later. Now this thing was hysterical, it might be fine for a child, but that i am not! I sat on the edge- and rolled into the middle, i laid down on 1 side and rolled into the middle! We got a laugh out of it, i slept so it doesnt matter, the pillows- well bit flat but the linen was clean. Was hot while we were there and A/C came in handy. It says housekeeping- but we got nothing on the Sunday, we didnt bother asking for anything. Security is good, you cant get into the building at night without the pass thing, or move the lift without the pass thing so at least you know people arent wandering around the hotel. At night the street is insane with all the restaraunts open, but the glass doors did a good job of keeping the noise out. there is a back to room charge for restaraunts if you want to eat in, ring the restaraunt, charge it back to the hotel and pay on your credit card, we used it but their are crap extra fees, so we just bought it as you would normal delivery. The last night the shop directly in front of our room turned its spot lights on which lit the room a bit. I would stay there again, it was less than a block away from china town, Paddy's Market, 10 min walk to Darling Harbor and a few mins more to Star City.

Room Tip: People own and live here, have no idea if there is another side
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights, my mum, sister and I. We stayed in an Executive Studio Apartment that actually looked like the picture! It was a large room with a queen bed and a sofa bed. The bathroom was also large with shower and toilet. The kitchenette was reasonable.

A tip for smokers there was an ashtray outside. A rare find these days. The balcony was large and although this part of Dixon Street is almost like a wind tunnel and grubby we didn't find it a problem. On the balcony it is extremely noisy and gets busier the later it gets. You don't hear a sound from inside which is great.

We didn't use wifi as it is paid for. You can order in from the menu they supply from various eateries.

The staff are friendly and helpful and not that we arrived very early at 9.00am and the receptionist went to check if a room was empty and fortunately it was and she allowed us to check in then and there. That was great.

It is very close to Darling Harbour an easy walk, Chinatown and Paddy's Market.

I would stay there again.

Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank AVMAustralia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Having read previous reviews on Trip Advisor I was keen to see for myself if there was any improvement since APX took over from the previous Quest Hotel. On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful. Our Studio Apartment was on the 6th floor overlooking Dixon Street which has an array of restaurants. The apartment was modern and clean. The bathroom was spacious for a studio apartment, the living area and balcony again was spacious. One possible problem is in the kitchen area where the kitchen cupboards above the sink are fine if you are a tall person, but a shorter person would have difficulty retrieving crockery and appliances from the top shelf without standing on a chair. At night you need to close balcony door because this area is very busy at night and noisy. However, closing the balcony door and turning on the air-conditioner was fine, a peaceful nights sleep.

With a name change and possibly new owners you could expect a few teething problems, well yes there was. On arrival and unpacking our clothing I attempted to open the sliding door to the wardrobe, it was stuck and wouldn't open. I contacted reception and was advised it would be looked at. This was 2pm on a Friday afternoon. On arriving back that evening after dinner the sliding door still didn't open.

The following morning again reported the matter to reception and again was advised the problem would be looked at. We returned to the hotel later that day and noted the bathroom had been cleaned yet the rubbish had not been removed and to our dismay whoever cleaned our room had only pulled up the doona on the bed and the sheets underneath had been left in disarray.

This is not a complaint as our stay in the hotel and Sydney was enjoyable. I believe an improvement in customer service is all that is needed.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Dixon can been noisy if you wish to leave balcony door open - but closing door and...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here in August 2013, if driving the hotel is VERY hard to find and access the parking (which is VERY tight), the location is near China Town so is noisy area and alot of foot traffic in the area. The location is very good right near the entertainment centre and Cockle Bay Wharf. We had a balcony which was nice, Room was very spacious and not run down. The lift in the carpark was broken which we were not made aware of so had to walk up fire stairs. Staff were very friendly and knew the area well to assist with directions. The bed was VERY comfortable

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple