“Great location, not great hostel”

Rooftop Travellers Lodge
Rooftop Travellers Lodge
Ranked #171 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Location wise this hostel is brilliant- Glebe is a fantastic place to stay while in Sydney- there are cafes galore and lots of second hand book shops and every type of restaurant you could possibly want. You can walk to the city and Darling harbour and there are buses right outside the hostel too which only cost $2 to get into the CBD.
The hostel is kept clean but on first impressions it is dissapointing to say the least. The rooms are a lot smaller and more camped than we thought they would be. There is only a tiny window that opens so the room smells musty and stale..which also means after a while so do your clothes. Storage is ok in the rooms and you have a cupboard in the kitchen. Utensils are very basic- no colanders or graters or anything and we shared one knife between four of us for the three months we were there.
The biggest problem we had with this hostel was our room mates...the mangers take no time in considering who shares a room and consequently we were with a guy who was around 50 and had been in the room for a year and a half. We get on with everyone but this really did put a dampener on our stay.
Our air con didnt work for the whole time we stayed there despite being told it was "being fixed in 2 weeks time" every week- complaining about it did no good so we just made do with a plug in fan which did very little.
Reception staff are generally unhelpful, unapproachable and couldnt care less as long as you hand over rent each week.
Free laundry usage is great when you can get a free machine which is mostly during the week while everyone is out at work. Being free is a huge bonus though as most other hostels will charge at least $4 for the washing and another $4 for the dryer.
I wouldnt stay here again as we spent most weeks looking for other places to stay..but in saying that we couldnt find a cheaper option in Sydney so sort of got stuck there. Location wise its ideal and price wise its excellent...maybe next time i'd extend the budget though. Couldn't recommend staying in Glebe more though.

Room Tip: perhaps ask about the current room mates and that you have a room where the air con works.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alix W

Reviewed January 4, 2012

I've had some time to consider writing this and have stayed in a couple of hostels since. All things considered, this hostel is the worst I have ever seen. I won't say 'stayed at' because we left without spending the night there. The rooms are far more filthy than the pictures would have you believe. Ours had large stains on the carpet, smelled of urine, had hundreds of cigarette butts jammed into the window sill, stained mattresses, the bathroom tiles looked like they had never been cleaned, several tiles were missing or broken and were sharp and dangerous, the television didn't work, the remote controls for the air conditioning and the television had no batteries and the fridge was filthy and smelled awful.

We had booked over the phone and paid when we had done that, but upon viewing the room we returned immediately to reception and asked for a refund as we decided not to stay. The staff refused to refund us and showed no concern for our distress over the state of the room. They said "well it's an old building and it's just a backpackers". Well to be honest, for the same price we could have stayed at the YHA which is a 5 star hotel compared to this place, the only reason we didn't stay there was that we couldn't get a booking. I decided that driving back to Canberra in the middle of the night would be preferable to risking my health and well being by sleeping in this place.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shaun L
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This hostel has the potential to be wicked. Its in a fab location - Glebe is an awesome places, really quirky and cool. And its close to the city centre (just a 30min slow walk) and train station (10mins max). The facilities are fairly decent, the kitchen could so with a spruce and they need to seriously sort out some a/c in there coz in summer it gets stiffling. The rooms are good, the a/c and free interent are a brill feature for a cheap hostel. But after all that they are in complete denial about bedbugs. I stayed there for 3 months and after a month or so started noticing bites all over my body. Being a new traveller I thought it was just mozzies until the bites startd getting worse and worse. I told the manager about the bites and she just shrugged it off telling me that shed had bed bugs and there was no way my bites were due to them. She did change my matress thou and i went crazy with the bug spray. However the bugs were still biting and I even caught one crawling on my belly!! I told the manager and NOTHING! And as I was checking out I heard the manager talking on the phone saying that they had bed bugs in another property and so were moving all the tenants to Rooftop! This is just asking for trouble! Overall I had a good time here. some of the long term people there are complete idiots but I met a good bunch of people and apart from constantly itching I had a good time!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This hotel was neat and clean and affordable. It was right near the train station and centrally located so you could walk just about everywhere. We were able to walk to the Botanical Gardens on several occassions, which are absolutely beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Our room was on the upper level of the hotel and we never heard any noises from guests or staff
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2011

It's one of the cheapest places to stay in Sydney, but definitely not the worst. Rooms have only four beds, a 24/7 internet pc, a kitchenette /w fridge and TV which is not bad at all. There's even some free parking space if you travel by car. Stayed here for two weeks and I really enjoyed it. It's a nice walk to the CBD although the bus stops right in front of the door. Staff is helpful but could be a little friendlier, but all and all I think this place is very good value for your money!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Rooftop Travellers Lodge from mid October until beginning of November as we started our trip in Australia. The room was nice for a hostel and had a lot of amenities with a TV, DVD player, PC and free Internet, a fridge and freezer and an ensuite bathroom with a shower all in the room (although the shower frequently floods your bathroom). The kitchen was usually clean, you get your own cupboard to store your dry food and there were a lot of stoves, ovens and microwaves available.

However, the stove knobs to turn the gas on and off were often missing and due to the kitchen being on the roof and the fridge being in the room you have to transfer all your food up several stairs. The hostel also offered free laundry machines (washing and dryer), but the laundry room was downright filthy with water dripping from the ceiling and other guests would remove your laundry from the machines to be able to use them. Staff were quite friendly, but also indifferent to your problems, but not much to expect as they are mostly all ex-backpackers. Also, the air conditioning in the room was broken. Not so bad when we stayed but in the summer it could get very, very hot.

The noise was sometimes very annoying with people running around in the hallways. The stench of weed was also nearly always present anywhere in the hostel (no matter if you were in your room or on the roof).

As for location, it's good for the money. You're no more than a 15-20 minute walk from the CBD and a major shopping centre is nearby. All in all, it's a nice hostel, but don't expect the world.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kendo2
Reviewed February 28, 2010

This is the nicest hostel in the area. We have stayed at hostels all over the world and this one was by far the best we have seen in a long time. The facilities are great, comfortable beds, airco and free internet, you couldn't ask for anything more.