“Maintenance issues for sure”

Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney
Ranked #40 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 4, 2009

There were positives and negatives for us with our stay. The hotel is located in a peaceful suburb, only a few minutes walk to Darling Harbour and within walking distance of the city. The hotel itself is dated, and is starting to show it. We had problems on arrival with the a/c and were moved right away. However, the balcony door in our new room refused to lock which was not too positive, the fixtures and fittings were slowly falling apart and finally by our third night, the a/c in this room packed up. Given that the outside temperature was almost 42 degrees C this was definitely a problem.

Not sure i'd return to this place - we'd consider a better maintained hotel next time.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ikelmay
Aspirehotel, Property Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2009

thank you for taking the time to comment on our property.

We ar currently looking into refurbing our property including all fixtures in the future.

We do hope that you still enjoyed your stay at Sydney and we hope to welcome you again at the Aspire Hotel Sydney.

Reviewed January 1, 2009

It was of reasonable walking distance to Chinatown, Paddy's Market and also Central Station which was quite fun to look around. The area is quite an old run-down area in my opinion but I wouldn't call it dangerous and felt ok walking from Chinatown with a couple of people at 10pm at night. The hotel is a good budget hotel that is clean and I do recommend this to those on a budget that just want sleep. I personally wouldn't choose this hotel as a long term stay however, and would rather pay a bit more for a more central location and nicer interior. The only reason I chose this hotel was because we planned to stay here one night, but I don't regret staying there- I thought it was a pretty cool experience. I give it 3 stars because of the fact that it's budget accommodation but I think it's a "5 star budget accommodation"

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank snifter
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Place; Aspen Hotel Ultimo Sydney
Date; 10th November 2008
Reviewer; Tripadvisor member Australia

Pretty good hotel with friendly staff, hotel needs urgent facelift.
Rooms are spacious and comfortable.
Location is pretty good, can walk to the City in less than 10 minutes.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Metromagic
Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed there for three nights with two couple friends.
Only 15 mn walk to Circular Quay.
Very friendly staff at the counter. The breakfast .....could be better.
Good size room. We recommand this hotel which is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BERNY85
Reviewed December 1, 2008

I stayed here while attending an academic conference at UTS. When I booked it was called Aspen but by the time I arrived it had changed its name to Aspire. I was pleased with it. Great location, comfortable, reasonable price. Not flash, but a good-sized room with all the things you expect plus a big balcony with sliding doors that opened. I was on the third floor and looked out onto roof-tops so I could leave the door/curtains wide and have a sense of the outside extending beyond my room. The neighbourhood was leafy and residential, as another tripadvisor reviewer had said - surprisingly so given that it was a block back from Harris St and a few minutes walk from Broadway. I felt that I'd made a good choice for my $115/night.
On my first morning I was up at 6am thinking I'd walk briskly around Darling Harbour, but was seduced by Bulwara St and explored it and surrounding areas instead, admiring the tenacity of quiet, tree-lined residential spaces in such proximity to the city centre and the snarling mass of arterial roads. I longed to peek inside the victorian terraces and see how many were expensively done up inside and how many might be affordable - judging from the outside, not all were renovated, some (with bicycles chained on the tiny verandahs and none-too-flash exteriors) looked liked they might be student accommodation. I found myself imagining that I could live here, if I had to. I think there'd be a good community feel to it, if only because they all had to turn inwards to appreciate their little patches of peace.
I was glad that I'd found out about the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre (near the Powerhouse Museum, on Harris St) before I came because otherwise I might not have thought of bringing my swimmers and goggles with me. The $4.50 (student rate) for entry was well-spent given how wonderful it felt doing laps after a long day of sitting and listening to speakers at the conference.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank JPCArmidale
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Aspen in Sydney and it exceeded all my expectations for a value hotel. It was clean, comfortable, quiet and the staff were very helpful. The hotel is in walking distance of a number of smaller restaurants and pubs, as well as being a short walk to Darling Harbour for a much bigger choice. And the price, booked online through the hotel website, was about half of brand-name hotels in the area. Had some problems with the on-line booking and had to ring the hotel but eventually sorted it out. I will definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank All4it
Reviewed August 26, 2008

A well priced hotel -central city, Not far to walk to Paddy's Market and China Town
Decor getting a bit older but in a nice quiet area.
The room was a comfortable size with table and chairs and armchair.
Shower over bath in Bathroom and comfortable enough size.
Our room had a queen and a single bed,
Outlook was onto apartments and a bit dark, and the balcony was not that inviting.
Walls not sound proof as our neighbours complained to us at 8.30 am that they could hear our TV and couldn't sleep.
We didn't think it was that loud.
Taxi to Darling Harbour wharf 8 was about $15
and a Taxi back from STAR City was aprrox $10.
$12 on shuttle per person to airport (although we were charged $15 Per person to get there- that driver Made $6 that day.
Staff were accommodating at reception and check in /check out was hassle free.
We arrived about 9 am in the morning and were allowed to check in early,
We also checked out at 11 am following day as we were going on a cruise on Pacific Dawn.
Not a Flash hotel but very adequate and presented good value for the price we paid

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple