“Loved the location”

Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney
Ranked #45 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed there for three nights with two couple friends.
Only 15 mn walk to Circular Quay.
Very friendly staff at the counter. The breakfast .....could be better.
Good size room. We recommand this hotel which is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BERNY85
There are newer reviews for Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney

Reviewed December 1, 2008

I stayed here while attending an academic conference at UTS. When I booked it was called Aspen but by the time I arrived it had changed its name to Aspire. I was pleased with it. Great location, comfortable, reasonable price. Not flash, but a good-sized room with all the things you expect plus a big balcony with sliding doors that opened. I was on the third floor and looked out onto roof-tops so I could leave the door/curtains wide and have a sense of the outside extending beyond my room. The neighbourhood was leafy and residential, as another tripadvisor reviewer had said - surprisingly so given that it was a block back from Harris St and a few minutes walk from Broadway. I felt that I'd made a good choice for my $115/night.
On my first morning I was up at 6am thinking I'd walk briskly around Darling Harbour, but was seduced by Bulwara St and explored it and surrounding areas instead, admiring the tenacity of quiet, tree-lined residential spaces in such proximity to the city centre and the snarling mass of arterial roads. I longed to peek inside the victorian terraces and see how many were expensively done up inside and how many might be affordable - judging from the outside, not all were renovated, some (with bicycles chained on the tiny verandahs and none-too-flash exteriors) looked liked they might be student accommodation. I found myself imagining that I could live here, if I had to. I think there'd be a good community feel to it, if only because they all had to turn inwards to appreciate their little patches of peace.
I was glad that I'd found out about the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre (near the Powerhouse Museum, on Harris St) before I came because otherwise I might not have thought of bringing my swimmers and goggles with me. The $4.50 (student rate) for entry was well-spent given how wonderful it felt doing laps after a long day of sitting and listening to speakers at the conference.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank JPCArmidale
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Aspen in Sydney and it exceeded all my expectations for a value hotel. It was clean, comfortable, quiet and the staff were very helpful. The hotel is in walking distance of a number of smaller restaurants and pubs, as well as being a short walk to Darling Harbour for a much bigger choice. And the price, booked online through the hotel website, was about half of brand-name hotels in the area. Had some problems with the on-line booking and had to ring the hotel but eventually sorted it out. I will definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank All4it
Reviewed August 26, 2008

A well priced hotel -central city, Not far to walk to Paddy's Market and China Town
Decor getting a bit older but in a nice quiet area.
The room was a comfortable size with table and chairs and armchair.
Shower over bath in Bathroom and comfortable enough size.
Our room had a queen and a single bed,
Outlook was onto apartments and a bit dark, and the balcony was not that inviting.
Walls not sound proof as our neighbours complained to us at 8.30 am that they could hear our TV and couldn't sleep.
We didn't think it was that loud.
Taxi to Darling Harbour wharf 8 was about $15
and a Taxi back from STAR City was aprrox $10.
$12 on shuttle per person to airport (although we were charged $15 Per person to get there- that driver Made $6 that day.
Staff were accommodating at reception and check in /check out was hassle free.
We arrived about 9 am in the morning and were allowed to check in early,
We also checked out at 11 am following day as we were going on a cruise on Pacific Dawn.
Not a Flash hotel but very adequate and presented good value for the price we paid

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolynTA
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Stayed for 6 nights at Aspen Ultimo. Very friendly staff at the reception (Steve & Pound). We booked a std room but was given a superior room on the 3rd flr with one double & a single bed. When we first arrived at this hotel in the late evening, the surronding looks a little nasty with old run down buildings. However, on a second look around in the day time, the surrounding is very safe & very near to Market City (Chinatown) & Darling Harbour. There is a link-bridge, one block from the hotel to Chinatown, Darling Harbour & Entertainment Center. The hotel is also very near to Powerhouse Museum & Ian Thorpe Aquatic Center. The hotel has a small business center with 2 PCs & a printer. You have to pay $5/hr (there are cheaper ones in city). My booking includes WiFi in the room. Secured car parking is complimentary. There is a small restaurant in the hotel but I suggest you try the Hannah's Pie just down the corner that serves very good Chicken/Mushroom & Seafood Pies. Else Kopitiam (one blk away) has very good Malaysian food. The only down side is the central heating. It gets cold in the middle of the night & the thermostat can only set at 24 degree max. However, will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank tccfairmont
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Great check in staff, very helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and clean. It just really needs upgrading. It looks like an old people's home from the 1970's.
Close to darling Harbour which's a five minute walk and to Paddington market.
If you are happy to walk to get to public transport then this is the place for you. Get a good pair of walking shoes as everywhere is a good 20 minute walk at least. A cafe is nearby serving breakfasts and snacks on week days and there are a few convenience stores close by, although these are very expensive - £7 for a bottle of water, chewing gum and a chocolate bar! Great pie shop nearby too!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2008

The Aspen Hotel in Ultimo is convenient, quiet and clean.

It is a basic older style hotel but if you want something that is within walking distance to Capitol Theatre, Chinatown, Paddy's Market, Monorail, Central Station, Powerhouse Museum, Darling Harbour etc etc this is a cheap alternative to the major hotel chains in nearby Darling Harbour and CBD.

So much is closeby in the way of restaurants, entertainment etc there seems little point to paying more for the bigger hotels if you only need a base in which to sleep.

If more than 2 persons in the room book the Queen/Queen rooms rather than use the sofa beds. The sofa beds are only really comfortable for a child of no more than 10yrs.

The rooms are tired but clean and comfortable. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful - nothing is too much trouble.

Keeping in mind this is a 3 star property with no frills, I have still rated it as above average due to its location, price and friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family