“Cockroaches.”

Ranked #77 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Cockroaches.”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed Feb. 6 - 16 2013 and originally were checked into the 4th floor. There was a large roach on the wall when I woke up around 7 or 8am after the first night. I smashed it with a small book (those smaller, pocket size travel books are not just good for taking around in your pocket, they also will assist in this way, too), and left it in a glass on the counter, with the napkin I cleaned the book off with.

Around 7:30 or so that evening, we spotted another large roach crawling along above the mini fridge/closet area, on a piece of wooden trim that created a small ledge for it. In trying to get this one, part of it was unrecoverable, lost into the area underneath the track for the sliding closet door, but a large piece of it was recovered, still quite alive, and brought downstairs on a room complimentary magazine.

The desk staff was superb -- Sandra was the name of the young girl who moved us to the floor most recently treated with insecticide. At that time, the 2nd floor. She also brought us full size bottles of red and white wine on ice and was a very nice, competent employee.

Daniel is another who was helpful throughout ten nights at the hotel; we never saw another roach, though we looked very hard. The floors are done one per week, Sandra had said, so we advise asking for a room on the floor most recently treated for roaches.

Otherwise, a clean room, a/c was freezing cold and difficult to make a comfortable temperature without it being warm, so we opted for freezing cold. One time, soon after getting the 2nd floor room, the a/c was not working, and they sent a workman up promptly, who was super nice and fixed it quickly. Just a few easy blocks from Central Station, which is the best subway/transit stop to use, rather than waiting at Central for a tram out to Paddy's Market just to save a few blocks. Not a bad move if you have tons of luggage, but otherwise, a very short, easy walk down Broadway to the left/west of central station, then across the street and up Harris on your right for three blocks; take Mary Ann on the left, and one block up on the right is Bulwara, with the little park and hotel beyond it on the left.

Super convenient to Paddy's Market, where there are super cheap food deals to be had: babaganoush or hummus with fresh Lebanese bread for under $6 total; fresh fruits, vegetables and lots more food along with the best tourist/souvenir prices in town.

Darling Harbour is super cool to hang out in, but the restaurants way overpriced and so is the IMAX, but... look for folks in front of the IMAX selling vouchers for less. The tickets are usually $31, and we payed $40 for a pair. Look for them to approach you as you look at the movie listing sign at street level near the door to the stairs up to the IMAX (which is on the second floor).

Free wireless is hard to come by there. McDonalds had it, though, by Paddys/Ent. Centre. Also Holiday Inn offered limited wifi there. McD's your best bet.

So overall, the location is great, some of the staff excellent, but... would be so apprehensive of sleeping there unless assured I was on the most recently treated floor. Those things were huge, and were deep in the room, nowhere near windows or doors out to the balcony. Super unsettling to lay eyes on that first thing in the morning, cruising up the wall. Even more jarring at 7:30 or so at night. Super unsettling.

But Sandra was great, and her response to the roaches was totally professional and heartfelt, and additionally, Daniel took a genuine interest in our trip, and these things count. They made us feel at home. So in no way would I give this hotel a bad review, but have to be honest how uncool the roach thing is. The balconies are huge, but there is no furniture. Bringing it out from the room was the answer, as the balconies are awesome!

Room Tip: Remember to ask for the floor where the rooms have most recently been treated/sprayed for cockroache...
2 Thank travels808
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely apologise for the delayed response.

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Aspire Hotel Sydney in Feb' 13. It is through such feedback that we can isolate issues and areas in need of attention.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and could walk around the CBD area during your stay.

I was also concerned to learn of the room's overall condition and the issue you had in the room. This is definitely unacceptable and does not reflect our cleaning standards, Please be assured that we have passed your feedback to our Executive Housekeeper to follow up on this incident.

The Hotel has a program in place which focuses on improvements being made to our highly used rooms to ensure it is well maintained and looked after as well as upholding our three and a half star standard.

This is obviously not up to the standard that I expect. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused during your stay.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed March 13, 2013

A stay in this ultra-shabby establishment causes a life-time regret in your mind, I assured you.

Rooms are extremely tired. Why rooms? Because my first room did not work on the air-con side, and there were golf-ball-sized suspicious stains of liquid on the sofas (oh, so old and feeble). A male staff member agreed to offer another room for me. Then another nightmare. The quilt in the second room was found to bear blood spots in its content!!! And it felt even colder in the second room than in the first one. Air-conditioners did not work, either.

The bathroom looks two centuries old. Very tiny commode. Unbelievably ancient-looking tub. The color mixture just reminds you of a deserted hut in a just-bombed slum. Yes, it does.

The lobby needs immediate renovation. The elevators are so stained that your eyes struggle to open for directions, even if it is just a few second’s ride up or downstairs.

Glass doors to the balcony do not close tightly. Once it is windy outside, you hear the creaking sounds of gusty wind all night.

Most ironically, the only positive side of this property is its facade, which looks like a nice hotel. Once you check in, you know how wrong you have been.

This hotel caused a permanent mental scar in my mind. Thereafter I stay in nice hotel only.

Room Tip: Avoid EVERY room, for your own good!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Duncan J
Ricky R, General Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your impression from your stay at Aspire Hotel Sydney.

I am naturally quite disappointed and concerned by your comments on the quality of cleanliness of your room during your stay.
This is obviously not up to the standard that i expect. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused during your stay.
I would really appreciate it if you could contact me, if your feel inclined to do so. I would like to get some more information so I can make sure that this does not happen again, plus I also would like the opportunity to formally apologize.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Hay-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

after booking into a Hostel not fit for dogs we found ourselves here. the staff were friendly, the room was clean and the beds comfy, its close to Chinatown and right near a tourist bus route if that's your thing, I would say its over priced for what it is and could do with a bit of a revamp... but I enjoyed my stay

3 Thank benest81
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

The staff and I at the Aspire Hotel Sydney would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on the property and we appreciate your kind feedback.

The quiet and convenient location of our property is something which preferred especially by guests who have events to attend in the nearby area. We are currently looking into a gradual refurbishment of the hotel, and we hope to further provide guests with more comfortable stays. I am glad that the staff were able to help you with your requests and I will be sure to pass on your comment to our staff.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you again at the hotel the next time you visit Sydney.
San Francisco
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a very average hotel! It looks pretty shanty and there are not many amenities at all! There is no recreational amenities such as a pool or gym. The hair dryer is really crap! It is not worth the $100/night considering the hotel is hidden from most of the city.

The hotel is located in a random street that no one would have suspected...I was surprised to see that it even existed! It's not the best location but sights such as Darling Harbour, China Town, Broadway and Glebe are all within 10-20 minute walking distance.

There is nothing special about this hotel at all. I would only recommend it if you are desperately saving money. There are a few better hotels in better locations in Sydney with the same, if not slightly higher price range.

2 Thank JonoAroundTheWorld
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Aspire Hotel Sydney. It is through such feedback that we can isolate issues and areas in need of attention.
I am naturally quite disappointed and concerned by your comments on the quality of the room and overall conditions during your stay. This is definitely unacceptable and does not reflect our cleaning standards, Please be assured I have passed your feedback to the Executive Housekeeper to follow up on this incident and verify the condition of the room.

The Hotel has a program in place which focuses on improvements being made to our highly used rooms to ensure it is well maintained and looked after as per our three and a half star standards.

Oxford
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I got a last minute room here as a last minute trip to Sydney where most hotels were fully booked. I paid almost $400 for what can only be described as a tired budget hotel. The positive was a big room with good blackout blinds ( I think it was a deluxe) but there were holes and screws in the wall where pictures had been removed (presumably by other guests looking for some value for money) and the rest of the room was seriously in need of an upgrade. The hot water was internittently hot enough and the bathroom was functional at best. The hotel is uninspiring to say the least, you get greated by a graffitti covered sign and a damp smelling lobby. The staff were helpful though not all of them had mastered the art of smiling. I didn't try any of the facilities so can't comment on anything other than the room and lobby.
If you can get this hotel at a budget rate then you might not so concerned about the decor, but at the rate I paid I felt thoroughly ripped off!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Daithefly
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Daithefly,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Aspire Hotel Sydney. It is through such feedback that we can isolate issues and areas in need of attention and help us achieve our goal of 100% guest satisfaction.

Upon reading your feedback whilst I was pleased you were well looked after by the reception staff and you like the generous size rooms, I note your comments in regards to the service of the other staff. Be assured I have spoken to the Front Office Manager to ensure our standard of service and professionalism are consistent with every staff member at the reception desk.

I was also concerned to learn you found there were holes and screws in the wall and of the room overall condition. This is definitely unacceptable and does not reflect our cleaning standards. Please be assured I have passed your feedback to the Executive Housekeeper to follow up on this incident and verify the condition of the room. The Hotel has a program in place which focuses on improvements being made to our highly used rooms to ensure it is well maintained and looked after as per our three and half star standards.

Further to this I was concerned to learn that you were disappointed with the hotel lobby, I have also asked the Executive Housekeeper to ensure the ventilation in the lobby is in working order and shouldn't smell , I do apologize for any disappointment these matters may have caused you and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Aspire Hotel when you next travel to Sydney and show you our true service.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

good location.big room .but no WiFi .having the usual amenities - tea/coffee, fridge, hairdrier, toiletries.very close to china town, paddy's market Hay market . There are eating places within walking distance .no problem to find foods.restaurants around

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Florie27
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Aspire Hotel Sydney.

I do appreciate the feedback,as it is important in establishing our performance levels,especially from a guest point of view.

I apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused due to week reception of WiFi in your room , we are in process of upgrading the internet but is still be available in lobby area, business center and most of our rooms.

Thank you again for the comments, I look forward to welcoming you back to Aspire Hotel Sydney.
Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here with my husband for 2 nights in early January and it was sheer luxury after staying with friends in a caravan/holiday park in Bass Hill. It's in a lovely shady street, very close to chinatown, paddy's market and a very short walk to George Street (where we found a free shuttle bus service to take us to circular key). The room we had was very spacious, very clean and the bed extremely comfortable. No complaints at all, and would most definately stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 4th floor and facing towards the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travellingbugg
Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of your room, the Hotel and local area.

Your feedback is vital tool in identifying our strengths, weakness and areas that need some improvement and i appreciate the time taken to make these assessments and comments.

Your comments will be shared with the team to show the importance of assisting our guests with any query they may need.

Thank you again, I look forward to welcoming you back.