Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney
$179
$197
$176
  • Pool
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$193
Hotels.com
$245
$164
  • Pool
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$141
$136
  • Pool
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$144
$126
$189
$180
  • Restaurant
All reviewspowerhouse museumdarling harbourquiet streetgreat locationcentral stationpaddy's marketlarge balconylight railsofa bedspacious roompleasant staygood sizehotel is locatedan easy walkpublic transportbuffet breakfastmini bar
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the Aspire Hotel for a night before returning to the US from Sydney. It is located on a quiet street near Haymarket and not far from anything really. The front desk staff was cordial and accommodating. The room was clean and not as small as a lot of hotel rooms are in Australia. There are eating places within walking distance and I did not feel uncomfortable walking around at all. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean and all necessary items were there. They have snack machines in the lobby but no room service or in house restaurant.

I needed a shuttle to the airport early in the morning, and the front desk helped my book it and I paid for it upfront. It arrived on time and check out was easy as well. All in all, it was a pleasant place and a great value! I would stay there again, and in fact have recommended it to others who have booked in already.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank GUNN704
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

The staff and I at Aspire Hotel Sydney are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.

Many of our guests choose to stay at the Aspire Hotel based on our quiet and convenient location, and we try our best to meet our guests’ needs.

I am glad that staffs were able to help you with your requests and I will be sure to pass on your comment to our staff.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you again at the hotel the next time you visit Sydney.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Reasonable location but basic accomodation facilities only, No pool, no minibar in room, no bar or restaurant in hotel & a fair walk to Chinatown or Darling Harbour. Reception on arrival was competent but surly. Ground floor smelt of wet carpets. Room , beds & bedding OK , but bathroom badly in need of refurbushment. Would not stay there again all things considered.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank allie12345

We thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel and we apologize for your unsatisfactory stay at the property.

We thank you for bringing our attention to such issues which you have experienced so that we can further improve our services to past, present and future guests.

We are currently looking into a gradual refurbishment of the hotel, and we hope to further provide guests with more comfortable stays.

We understand your concerns relating to the state of the hotel.We are in the process of upgrading others areas of the hotel. This will be a slow process and we hope that you will return to our hotel on your next trip.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed here for two nights from the 2nd December 2012. We were worried after reading several below average reviews. However, we were pleasantly surprised and had a really pleasant stay. Having said this it really depends on what you are looking for in a hotel when staying in Sydney. Our criteria for a hotel on this occasion was clean, close to city centre and reasonably priced. The review under these conditions were as follows

1. Cleanliness
Very clean. No issues in the rooms. Bed was soft and comfortable. Sheets were clean and rooms were serviced every day.

2. Closeness to city centre
Very close, 7 to 10 minutes walk to chinatown and paddy's market monorail and tram respectively depending on how fast you walk. When you come out of the hotel turn left then take the first right onto Macarthur Street and walk down this street cross the road at the pedestrian crossing and onto the foot bridge which takes you to Paddy's Market Monorail station. Go down the stairs after the monorail station and walk towards the Paddy's Market. The tram stop is in front of you. Just after the tram stop and above Paddy's Market is Market City Shopping Mall there is a food court on the 3rd floor. 2 minutes walk after the tram stop is the bottom end of China Town which starts on Dixon Street.

3. Price
We paid £80 per night (British Pounds) for a room with a queen sized bed. The room was spacious and clean as previously mentioned. We were on the fourth floor facing the city with a view of the skyscrappers of Sydney (nothing to write home about but it is a view). You get tea and coffee facilities and ironing board. There is also a fridge and a modern flat screen tv with HDMI connections and digital terrestrial TV. There is a hair dryer and soap and shampoo provided and clean towels. Hot water was not an issue for us. Air conditioning was fine and serves its purpose.

4. Food
We didnt eat at the hotel. Breakfast was priced at $15 (AUS Dollars) if you want to eat there. We just popped to city as there was plenty of choices. In China Town you gets a few choices for breakfast from 8:30am. There are some other choices from 9am on George Street near and inside World Square shopping Mall.

5. Other
If you are more interested in the decor and looks of the room then yes you are going to get disappointing. The rooms are not shabby and does not look like a youth hostel. The rooms could do with an update and redecoration, however, for the price and location and considering its one of the most expensive cities in the world its worth staying here - we found it comfortable and clean. If you are do want to stay in a room with nice looking furniture and carpet and modern look then spend the extra money and stay in the hotel. Personally we rather save the money and spend it on the city as there's plenty to see and eat. Oh and the hotel is located in a quiet street which is an added bonus in a city.

We do recommend the hotel for the reasons above. If the decor was updated then i would give it 5 out 5 then again if they did update it i'm sure it would be reflected in the price and we would be giving it a different review.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TravellingDogMoo

The staff and I at the Aspire Hotel Sydney would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on the property and we appreciate your kind feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Aspire Hotel Sydney.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I'm usually pretty generous and forgiving with my hotel reviews, but as I pondered to myself this morning about this place, I realised I would avoid having to stay here again if I could.

Rooms are cheap. I paid $169, which got us a double bed and a single bed in a large room with a balcony and reasonable bathroom. Not huge by any stretch of the imagination but definitely not cramped and the extra space was appreciated. There is nowhere to sit on the balcony though so I wonder about the point of giving us access.

As some have mentioned, the decor is very old and tired. The place is wallpapered, presumably over old lathe and plaster, the room fittings are ancient and none of the door keys work. We had to visit reception twice to get our key recoded for our door. The air conditioning is a little noisy but works reasonably well. The shower and toilet are fine, just old, and old soap dispensers dispense unknown varieties of shampoo, shower gel, etc. The retro '80s decor was kinda cute but took us awhile to work out how to get lights working, etc.

It was 37 deg in Sydney yesterday, so maybe I'm being picky, but the whole place feels damp. The foyer smells of damp/mould, but they are trying to distract us with pseudo-classical arrangements of famously bad songs over the speakers in there. The sheets felt a little damp to the touch, but is it the heat? I don't know but I haven't appreciated it. There are little things, like the light fittings need to have dead flies cleaned out of them and the bathroom taps have two settings: Niagara Falls, or off. There is no natural light in the bathroom, either, ladies. It's fluorescent.

Overall, not too bad, but the damp feeling and little quirks will keep me from coming back. I paid a lot less in Potts Pt for a better room earlier this year.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank painted_duchess
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your impression from your stay at Aspire Hotel Sydney.

I am naturally quite disappointed and concerned by your comments on the quality of cleanliness of your room during your stay.
This is obviously not up to the standard that i expect. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused during your stay.
I would really appreciate it if you could contact me,if your feel inclined to do so. I would like to get some more information so i can make sure that this does not happen again,plus I also would like the opportunity to formally apologize.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed in Aspire hotel recently. It was a little hard to find at first but we managed to locate it in the end. Though a bit of walking is required, but it was on the quiet street which is good. Room was big but the balcony was rather run down and we faced the wall of another building so there wasn't any view to speak off. Toilet facilies were alright with the necessities provided. However there's no safe nor mini fridge in the room.

Service was average but on our last day, the operator did not give us a morning call as requested and the alarm clock in the room was not working either. Luckily we woke only 30 mins later than the intended time so we still managed to catch the train on time back to the airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple