Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney
Hilton Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$394
$137
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$240
$164
$158
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$216
$131
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$193
Agoda.com
$223
$202
  • Restaurant
All reviewspowerhouse museumdarling harbourquiet streetgreat locationcentral stationpaddy's marketlarge balconylight railsofa bedspacious roompleasant staygood sizehotel is locatedan easy walkpublic transportbuffet breakfastmini bar
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed here for two nights from the 2nd December 2012. We were worried after reading several below average reviews. However, we were pleasantly surprised and had a really pleasant stay. Having said this it really depends on what you are looking for in a hotel when staying in Sydney. Our criteria for a hotel on this occasion was clean, close to city centre and reasonably priced. The review under these conditions were as follows

1. Cleanliness
Very clean. No issues in the rooms. Bed was soft and comfortable. Sheets were clean and rooms were serviced every day.

2. Closeness to city centre
Very close, 7 to 10 minutes walk to chinatown and paddy's market monorail and tram respectively depending on how fast you walk. When you come out of the hotel turn left then take the first right onto Macarthur Street and walk down this street cross the road at the pedestrian crossing and onto the foot bridge which takes you to Paddy's Market Monorail station. Go down the stairs after the monorail station and walk towards the Paddy's Market. The tram stop is in front of you. Just after the tram stop and above Paddy's Market is Market City Shopping Mall there is a food court on the 3rd floor. 2 minutes walk after the tram stop is the bottom end of China Town which starts on Dixon Street.

3. Price
We paid £80 per night (British Pounds) for a room with a queen sized bed. The room was spacious and clean as previously mentioned. We were on the fourth floor facing the city with a view of the skyscrappers of Sydney (nothing to write home about but it is a view). You get tea and coffee facilities and ironing board. There is also a fridge and a modern flat screen tv with HDMI connections and digital terrestrial TV. There is a hair dryer and soap and shampoo provided and clean towels. Hot water was not an issue for us. Air conditioning was fine and serves its purpose.

4. Food
We didnt eat at the hotel. Breakfast was priced at $15 (AUS Dollars) if you want to eat there. We just popped to city as there was plenty of choices. In China Town you gets a few choices for breakfast from 8:30am. There are some other choices from 9am on George Street near and inside World Square shopping Mall.

5. Other
If you are more interested in the decor and looks of the room then yes you are going to get disappointing. The rooms are not shabby and does not look like a youth hostel. The rooms could do with an update and redecoration, however, for the price and location and considering its one of the most expensive cities in the world its worth staying here - we found it comfortable and clean. If you are do want to stay in a room with nice looking furniture and carpet and modern look then spend the extra money and stay in the hotel. Personally we rather save the money and spend it on the city as there's plenty to see and eat. Oh and the hotel is located in a quiet street which is an added bonus in a city.

We do recommend the hotel for the reasons above. If the decor was updated then i would give it 5 out 5 then again if they did update it i'm sure it would be reflected in the price and we would be giving it a different review.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TravellingDogMoo
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

The staff and I at the Aspire Hotel Sydney would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on the property and we appreciate your kind feedback.

Many of our guests choose to stay at the Aspire Hotel based on our quiet and convenient location, and we try our best to meet our guests’ needs.

We are currently looking into a gradual refurbishment of the hotel, and we hope to further provide guests with more comfortable stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Aspire Hotel Sydney.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I'm usually pretty generous and forgiving with my hotel reviews, but as I pondered to myself this morning about this place, I realised I would avoid having to stay here again if I could.

Rooms are cheap. I paid $169, which got us a double bed and a single bed in a large room with a balcony and reasonable bathroom. Not huge by any stretch of the imagination but definitely not cramped and the extra space was appreciated. There is nowhere to sit on the balcony though so I wonder about the point of giving us access.

As some have mentioned, the decor is very old and tired. The place is wallpapered, presumably over old lathe and plaster, the room fittings are ancient and none of the door keys work. We had to visit reception twice to get our key recoded for our door. The air conditioning is a little noisy but works reasonably well. The shower and toilet are fine, just old, and old soap dispensers dispense unknown varieties of shampoo, shower gel, etc. The retro '80s decor was kinda cute but took us awhile to work out how to get lights working, etc.

It was 37 deg in Sydney yesterday, so maybe I'm being picky, but the whole place feels damp. The foyer smells of damp/mould, but they are trying to distract us with pseudo-classical arrangements of famously bad songs over the speakers in there. The sheets felt a little damp to the touch, but is it the heat? I don't know but I haven't appreciated it. There are little things, like the light fittings need to have dead flies cleaned out of them and the bathroom taps have two settings: Niagara Falls, or off. There is no natural light in the bathroom, either, ladies. It's fluorescent.

Overall, not too bad, but the damp feeling and little quirks will keep me from coming back. I paid a lot less in Potts Pt for a better room earlier this year.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank painted_duchess
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your impression from your stay at Aspire Hotel Sydney.

I am naturally quite disappointed and concerned by your comments on the quality of cleanliness of your room during your stay.
This is obviously not up to the standard that i expect. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused during your stay.
I would really appreciate it if you could contact me,if your feel inclined to do so. I would like to get some more information so i can make sure that this does not happen again,plus I also would like the opportunity to formally apologize.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed in Aspire hotel recently. It was a little hard to find at first but we managed to locate it in the end. Though a bit of walking is required, but it was on the quiet street which is good. Room was big but the balcony was rather run down and we faced the wall of another building so there wasn't any view to speak off. Toilet facilies were alright with the necessities provided. However there's no safe nor mini fridge in the room.

Service was average but on our last day, the operator did not give us a morning call as requested and the alarm clock in the room was not working either. Luckily we woke only 30 mins later than the intended time so we still managed to catch the train on time back to the airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TLCTLC88
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here upon suggestion of my conference organizers (conference at the Sydney Convention Center) and it was not convenient! The roads are confusing and it was definitely off the beaten path compared to the other convention center hotels. A shady dark area that didn't feel safe as a woman walking at night. Definitely a budget hotel -- the internet didn't work except in the lobby, the bedding was scratchy and old, the towels were thin, the amenities were few and far between. However the staff at the front desk were nice. Don't expect to check in early if you're on a 7am arrival -- have to wait until 2 or 3pm to check in.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Amanda S
Ricky R, Manager at Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time your experience at Aspire Hotel Sydney.
I do appreciate the feedback, as it is vital tool in establishing our performance levels, especially from guest point of view.
My sincere apologies with your experience in Aspire Hotel Sydney, we are looking at a soft refurbishment in the coming future.
In regards to the early check in we are always try our best to match the request and allocate the first available room even our guarantee check in time is 2 pm however sometimes its not possible due to the high occupancy on the day before.

I again thank you for the review, and would like to welcome you back to Aspire Hotel Sydney.

Thank you again for your valuable feed back.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

While the staff were good the product they are working with is pretty poor. The hotel is old, tired and there were a lot of little maintenance jobs that had been missed/not done. It's also incredibly noisy, you can hear everything from the rooms next to and above you. Location is good for the conference center, however there are better alternatives for not that much more money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ttrip10

Thank you for taking the time your experience at Aspire Hotel Sydney.

I do appreciate the feedback,as it is vital tool in establishing our performance levels,especially from guest point of view.