“the place of OMG(osh's)!”
Review of QT Sydney

QT Sydney
Ranked #13 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“the place of OMG(osh's)!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Firstly I was greeted by a pearly white smile, flame red hair and strong lads in royal blue shirts. They whisked away my luggage and showed me to the elevator to take me up to the concierge.
Gawking at the spectacular feature dresses in a lower floor coffee shop aromas were delightful. When i stepped into the elevator the music kicked in and it was an instant joy song for me, certainly not the conventional music thats for sure.
It took me up and the doors opened to what presented as an open waiting area of a cross between Dr Seus and the modern day burlesque funk which was the essence of this hotel. Couches only a interior designer would bite their lip and dance their fingers over the rad curves and cornices, and revel in the delightful colours, tones and fabrics.
A visionary treat of a feature wall that included- cut up vintage television fronts, books and old furniture that had been placed behind dress makers mannequins.
The concierge staff were well presented, looking like they had come off the red carpet and unfortunately behind a desk (only because their outfits were amazing and the desk hid their great creations)
Nothing was too hard, the check-in was painless and quick, perfect after the 5 hour flight.
Went up to the room and more Oh my Gosh's were to come out of my mouth as I explored the sliding door panels, nespresso's, the MASSIVE bathtub, the bathroom, the bed setting, the cocktail mixers... the everything about the room, and this was just the basics!!!! The decor of the room was nothing short out of a top designer magazine. Everything was where it was suppose to be.
I took the option to have breakfast every morning (or a spa treatment OMG), the food was actually healthy. I dont mean he standard bacon and eggs or eggs benedict, I mean spelt flour pancakes with fresh berries and puree. Organic, freshly made juices, coffees that were spot on. So many culinary delights couldn't fit them in all in one weekend.
The restaurant was an epic sight to see with recycled chandeliers and pendants that dotted the room. Night life bought in nothing but the finest people of Sydney and it was a refreshing change to the life here in Perth.
Needless to say it was worth EVERY dollar spent and it turned out to be a perfect birthday weekend.

Room Tip: they're all good!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Hi elle w,

What an absolutely brilliant review. You've got as gorgeous way with words and we thank you so much for taking the time to let us, and the wider Tripadvisor community, know about your stay.

You sound like the perfect guest - into everything and loving life!

We can't wait to take care of you again.

'No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.' - Lin Yutang

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Back from two nights at the QT.and certainly a nice change from the usual business hotels. All the quirky stuff is good fun, the decor rich and very eclectic, and the whole thing presented with a bit of a nod and a wink. Ate at Gowlings with a large group in the private dinning area and the food was great though very time the door opened you couldn't hear youself think, such was the noise from the adjacent bar. That said, enjoyed said bar thoroughly afterwards.

The rooms are a visual feast and though actually more practical than they might first appear, aren't ideal for business unless you carry a torch with you. The desk lamp is more desk than lamp. Did I mention they're dark? Seriously, night vision goggles would be a plus.

Only complaint was that the TV was having a bit of a reception issue and there was a slightly odd odour in the bathroom that, after a couple of days, I was confident wasn't me.

Probably wouldn't stay there when on business but absolutely on the list for a visit with the Darling Wife sans children.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hi PerZee,

Another Radelaide shout out! So fun.

Great review. It's not often that I lol when I read these, but yours gave me a couple of good giggles.

Thanks for the beautiful notes on the property. We do get a few notes about the hotel being very dark. It's certainly a moody lighting scheme. Hopefully this will play a part in the cheeky getaway with your wife! Get a little bit of Phantom of the Opera action happening around the halls.

'Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.' - Ernest Hemingway.

We would love to see you again, for business or leisure.

Melbourne
Reviewed August 1, 2014

QT is a tough one for me to review. This hotel certainly is eye candy. The staff were nothing but friendly and helpful and the location is very central. But 5 Stars is a push.

We stayed in Room 245 and my issues are the small things. Room service dishes left out for collection at 10pm still outside our door at 10:30am Cheap toilet paper and tissues.. Minimal toiletries. (no salts or bubble bath to use in that amazing (but slow leaking) bath?) Loud aircon even with fan off.

While an 'incidentals' charge is not uncommon, I was not notified of the $200 addition to room CC authorisation at check-in. I only realised when I checked my bank statement. This could pose a problem for those on a tight budget as this charge may take a few days to be released by your bank.

The good! .. Excellent decor/lighting to my taste (think modern Victorian/Steampunk), Very well stocked (and fun) 'mini bar', Free WIFI, Free movies, The most entertaining lifts (I'll let you find that out yourself) No real outside noise despite our room facing onto busy Market St.

If a hotel advertise and charge as 5 star, you can only be judged against other hotels in that category. The things I mentioned would not be as much of a concern if the hotel wasn't rated 5 stars. :)

Not a bad hotel by any means and I would recommend this hotel to other people; just have your expectations set at the right level.

Room Tip: Try for room facing onto Market street. Ours had cool gargoyles right outside our window and couldn...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi dazman69,

Thanks so much for your review. It was a very measured and fair assessment of your stay (which is a testament to your status as a Senior Contributor).

We appreciate the great and room-for-improvement notes with equal fervour and will discuss your review with our team to make sure we have celebrated the wins and fine-tuned the parts needing it.

I hope we get the chance to take care of you again.

'I am not a great cook, I am not a great artist, but I love art, and I love food, so I am the perfect traveller. ' - Michael Palin'

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I booked this place as a treat for me and my partner but was spending the first night there on my own. I had called a couple of days before to request a late check-out and to have a high floor since I know the location can be quite noisy. I was told this was all sorted and put into their system. I had also paid for a an upgrade.

When I got there the check-in was slow, and when I asked about both the late check-out and the high floor none of these were in the system.

I ended up having to request the late check-out and they said they might be able to honour it after talking to the duty manager. Two hours later I was eventually told that I could have my extension. the room however was not on a high floor.

I then tried to eat at their restaurant but because it was also a popular bar I was unable to get a table even as a hotel guest.

I just felt the level of service all round was what I would have expected especially considering the premium price that I was paying. Very disappointing

Room Tip: Get a high floor for a quieter room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi britgirl_1812,

Thanks so much for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you had some hiccups with your stay. Many apologies on the miscommunication of your late check out and room level. Both of these requests can be a little tricky to accommodate so I'd suggest that we might have been very full during your stay and not able to guarantee them until check in.

Sorry also for your not being able to dine in Gowings Bar and Grill. As the restaurant is not a hotel restaurant and stands alone as it's own eatery this can cause issues with last minutes bookings.

'Travelers repose and dream among my leaves.' - William Blake

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Upon arrival, QT seemed to live up to its reviews, with quirky decor, funny elevators and plush furnishings in the room. After a great night out in the city, we returned to the room and went to bed. At 2am, the cordless phone in the room started beeping. After getting up and mucking around with the cradle and powerpoint (the cradle had been disconnected by a previous occupant), the phone was silenced. At 7.15am, we were once again awoken by the beeping and this time it wouldn't stop. A call was made to reception, who immediately said it was the phone battery, that it often happens and that they'd send maintenance up to replace the battery. When I mentioned that we'd been sound asleep and didn't particularly want to get up, reception told us to leave the phone in the hallway outside our room door. For the next 15 minutes, we and every other person on that corridor listened to the phone loudly beep every 5 seconds. After a second call to reception, this time a different person, it took an additional 5 minutes for the phone to be retrieved. At no time was an apology offered by the three staff we spoke to, and Reception was very slow to answer both phone calls. I was very unimpressed by the Reception staff of this hotel, and by the presence of a device in the rooms that could cause such disruption to the occupant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hi Camille M,

Thanks kindly for letting us know. We are delighted that the hotel lived up to its designer promise and we apologise for the phone battery disturbing your stay.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at QT for a quick getaway and we were super impressed. I loved the styling, quirky touches and friendly staff which all made QT definitely not your average hotel. I loved the espresso martini kit sitting in our room on arrival!

Dinner and breakfast at gowlings was superb, hello truffle mac and cheese! Again, staff and decor were beautiful.

We stayed two nights and loved every minute, great central city location too!

Definitely recommend QT and would not hesitate to stay here next time we are in Sydney, thanks guys!

Stayed July 2014
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hi hollyamanda,

Wohooooo! Thanks for a wonderful review. We love that you loved your stay.

That mac and cheese - to die for.

Thanks also for the gorgeous shout out for our staff also.

We hope to see you again soonest.

'We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.' - Anais Nin.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

This is just the best hotel!!! Love everything about it! The rooms are great, the restaurant is awesome and the spa.... Wow!!!!! The location is perfect if you're in Sydney for work, theatre or shopping! Really can't wait to stay again! Oh and the lifts ... Well, just see for yourself!

Stayed April 2014
Hi Amanda R,

Thanks for such a short, sharp, and sweet review. Sounds as though you loved your stay and I bet you were an absolute delight to take care of.

We would love to see you again soonest.

'We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.' - Hilaire Belloc.