“Quirky to a T”

Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Quirky to a T”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Who said business travel had to be boring? If you are looking for a stylish, fun, quirky boutique hotel in the heart of the action in Sydney, look no further than the QT in Market St.
It's a stone's throw from the shops (Zara!) and dining options (Laduree!) at Westfield Sydney and has a sense of fun and personality so often lacking in the big chain hotels.
The colourful hotel staff and greeters look like they've wandered in from a show at the State Theatre and there's an impressive collection of vintage luggage in the foyer.
Part of the hotel is apparently in the shell of the old Gowings department store and there's a decidedly heritage/butcher shop feel about the stairwells.
But let's get to the room; what a treat. Mine had two double beds and the best stocked mini-bar I've ever seen with everything from snacks and a Nespresso machine to Pick up Sticks and an emergency bowtie kit.
The designer black granite bathroom with splashes of coloured glass, rain shower and a deep oval bath...made me wish I had such an amazing bathroom to go home to.
Make sure to spend some time in the lifts...solo muzak ("Are You Lonesome Tonight" I think?) if you're travelling up alone switches to "Just the Two of Us" or "It Takes Two" if someone else gets in (yes could get awkward).
Gowings Bar and Grill had a great range of gourmet options for breakfast. The hotel's location makes it ideal for business or those on a city shopping or eating trip but perhaps not a summer holiday if a pool is on the checklist.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank tvaddict2211
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi tvaddict2211,

Lover of TV and QT - we are going to become fast friends. Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you loved your stay. It's so awesome when business travellers (especially Senior Contributors) who really give the travel scene a good nudge give us an awesome review!

We hope to see you again next time you are in town.

To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world – Freya Stark.

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband surprised me for my 40th birthday with a night at QT and it was a really great stay.
The ambiance is cool and funky starting with the pink haired door women to the hands that hold your room number on the wall.
All the staff we encountered were friendly, efficient and accommodating.
We went to the Gowings bar and grill for both lunch and breakfast which was all delicious, I loved the pot of South Australian mussels.
The toiletteries supplied are all surprisingly nice. I usually never use the products supplied by a hotel as they often dry my hair etc but as I had forgotten my shampoo I used the ones supplied and I was happy.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for couples wanting to escape the monotony of the everyday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fiona M
sasrowlandsQT, at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear past QT Sydney guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

I'm here at the moment, the last night of a six night stay for work. The hotel itself is lovely, and the staff are amazing, they just can't do enough for you. BUT - after checking in and settling in to watch Wimbledon, I noticed several channels just weren't working, reception was dropping in and out. They came up to try and fix it, and couldn't, so I was moved to a new room. Same problem. I was told it was 'because of the wind' and would be fixed the next day. Hmmm, six nights later and no change, no Wimbledon, damn! I know, I should have been out and about, but after really long working days, I just wanted to snuggle in bed with room service and Rafael Nadal. So that pretty much ruined my stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear QT Sydney guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

With warmest regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights very recently (May 2014). Had a great time - the decor in the rooms was very boutiquey and eclectic; and the soaps/products were quite unique. For those who know Sydney, it's located in the old Downer department store building, and accentuates the building's history throughout in a very cool way. Location (middle of the CBD) was also a plus. Downside was no other facilities (no pool, no gym), but all in all, fine for a quick stay in the city. Good value for money too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear past QT Sydney guest,

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

My second stay at QT. Position perfect. The hotel is visually enjoyable… unique… It’s attached to an outstanding restaurant which I recommend you book ahead. Staff are attentive and professional. The hotel and rooms are decorated in a very original and funky style. However, I won’t be staying again. Their beds and pillows are super soft and once again I didn’t sleep well. I asked if I could request a harder bed but it seems that these beds are especially made for the hotel. My search for a decent Sydney hotel continues. Sydney is lacking!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ann G
Hi Ann G,

Thanks for your review. Sounds as though we were perfect, apart from offering a softer bed and pillow than makes for a comfy nights sleep for you.

Such a shame that we don't match up on this for you! We really hit the mark in everything else.

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention - Oscar Wilde.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

The welcome was warm and professional. The room was pleasant with interesting features, although the red sheepskin rug on the bed would perhaps have been more at home in the red light district of Amsterdam and brought a seedy side to the decor. Good and extensive minibar. Quality towells in bathroom contrasting with cheap cardboardy tissues so take your own. The beds are way too soft and that is evidently the only option. I requested a firmer mattress through reception for the second night of my stay but was told soft was the only option and thay had been specially made for the hotel. I would therefore warn anyone away who has previous or current back issues. The bed had a hard ridge down the middle so was clearly two beds joined together and not designed for anyone wishing to use the whole bed. The resulting 4 hrs sleep wasn't what I had planned for a relaxing weekend away. Loud music in lifts and guest lounge weren't a pleasant feature. Location excellent for the activities planned for the weekend and a light lunch at the Gowings bar was nice, although a cocktail purchased at the bar that evening didn't contain the rhubarb ingredients as described in the cocktail list. Won't be returning to this one and neither will my colleague who also stayed at the hotel at the same time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anne L
Dear QT Sydney guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

With warmest regards,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Absolutely loved the location and the room; however the service level is far from being up to standard. From check in to check out, including the restaurant at night and breakfast, the service is awful: no smile, no personable note of welcome, not even looking at us when handing over our credit card! If that's supposed to be a fancy way to welcome guest, well thats lost on me.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Monfrique, Guest Relations Manager at QT Sydney, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear sandrine j,