“Very different type of hotel”
Review of QT Sydney

QT Sydney
Ranked #15 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 13, 2013

QT Sydney is not your normal hotel, from the pink-wigged girls at the front door to the holographic images in the hallways to room numbers displayed on cards held by hands protruding from the door frames. We stayed there 6 months ago and it has taken me this long to sort out my opinion of the place. Our room had a window facing the side of another building and the interior design of QT is clever in compensating for lack of views by making the rooms very quirky and unique. That said, they let themselves down a little by forgetting to replace the bathrobes in our room but the hot water didn't work for the spectacular looking bath anyway, which was a pity. The dining room was also very trendy and impressive. QT is unlike any other hotel I have stayed in and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm really undecided about whether I would want to stay again because my lasting impression is of darkness, but I'm glad I experienced my stay there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Hi cathrob1,

Thanks so much for your review. Sounds like you had a great stay apart from a plumbing issue (heritage listed buildings = constant pipe upkeep) and us forgetting to put the robes in room. I have not heard this one happen before so I am very sorry you were the unlucky once off for this one. They are so comfy!

Glad you loved the quirks of the design and the building. The design team are magic!

We hope you do choose to stay again. Each side of the hotel is very different in terms of the design aesthetic. Well worth a look!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We booked 5 nights accommodation for our wedding at the QT Hotel on the recommendation of a work colleague's son who worked in hospitality. This hotel had opened a year after I'd moved from Sydney to Melbourne so I'd never heard of it.
Sited in the old Gowings building on Market St, and extremely centrally located to Town Hall Station, David Jones and the new Westfield, this was a find-of-the-century! The hotel is electically decorated in a New York style, with a nod to its retailer origins with each hotel floor featuring different fittings, such as mannequin legs etc. The lift plays dance music which changes depending on the floor you enter and the number of guests, too! The QT Guest Lounge has a range of different mid-century chairs and sofas and lots of interesting objets d'art to look at.
We were given a wonderful corner room (816) which looked at the Queen Victoria Building and featured a groovy lit wall feature, terrific bed, blockout curtains, black-slate walled bathroom with freestanding bath and rainfall shower, free wifi, free a la carte breakfast and helpful staff at all times. For my pre-wedding night, I booked room 314 for me and my best friend which had twin queen beds and a bathtub and separate loo with an opaque glass door. Not wanting a late night despite all the restaurant choices in the city, we had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant downstairs. On our last morning, actress Rachel Griffiths was having breakfast there.
We booked our post-wedding party in the Pink Room which was a huge hit with everyone being impressed with this fantastic hotel, even if a few people did say it was not obvious from the street.
We will definitely book this for future trips to Sydney.
If there is one teensy downside it is the price of the valet parking which is $70 but we discovered you can park for $25 at the Harbourside Car Park behind Darling Harbour and simply walk across Pyrmont Bridge up to Market St.
Be warned, the hotel's proximity to so many great shops makes this a bit of a wealth hazard to your credit card!

Room Tip: Corner suites get more light. Choose a room away from the lifts which play disco music.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello visitrequisites, my new fave reviewers!

Gotta love that review title. Made us very happy campers. Happy marriage to you! So delighted you got to spend your post-wedding indulgence time with us. QT Sydney certainly fits the bill when it comes to the perfect place to get your couple time on.

The pink room in Gilt Lounge is an awesome place to party. You really feel like a VIP in there with the curtains closed and the hostesses ducking in and out with drinks. Very fancy!

Ha! Completely agree with you on the shopping area. I have been known to loose myself on Pitt Street from time-to-time (every week lol).

Hope to see you again soonest. You sound fun. Maybe for your wedding anniversary. Also - yes, the parking is a premium in the city. V pricey.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just had a great stay at the QT....So quirky I really loved the gorgeous gals out the front who directed us to the lifts. The foyer is amazing staff were really genuine and friendly. The rooms are great really spacious and well appointed. Loved that we could mix a cocktail as we were getting ready to go out ! Freshly brewed coffee in the morning excellent. Location is perfect we did all our shopping with out having to get taxis or walk blocks. Cannot wait to return !!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear gorgeous QT Sydney guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Yes the hotel is Funky and quirky appealing to the designer in people. This is the hotels feature to differentiate itself and compensate for lack of spectacular views. Our view was not spectacular but nice over looking the QVB on the Gowings side of the building (level 6). We had a room with the bath and the size and quality was impressive. The room comes with free coffee pods and in room movies.

The bed was the greatest (and probably most important) disappointment. I didn't know what a Zipper Bed was, it is two king singles put together and a layer put on top. Problem was that one was soft and the other was even softer. It was like a wall in the middle, which is not good for a couple wanting some fun.

The Gowings restaurant continues the funky theme and the setting is really cool. Unfortunately the steak was not evenly cooked (I don't even know how a chef could do that) but I ate it anyway. The desert made up for it and the cocktails afterwards, which were expensive but nice.

The cafe downstairs was good and we had a reasonably priced breakfast there instead of the restaurant. The hotel is well located for shopping at Pitt St and the QVB but a bit far from the Quay.

We would stay again but would request a proper King bed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The rooms at QT are very eclectic and surprising. The staff are friendly and seem to go out of their way to help you.
Amy at the hotel front door was very helpful and always has a smile for everyone.
Overall I would recommend this hotel.
The only downside is the parking, but it is Sydney after all and parking is never cheap or easy.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the rear and on the left side of the hotel are very quiet and you would not know you a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dearest QT Sydney guest,

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a great place to stay. It is in the heart of Sydney and very close to St James train station. The staff are all young and gorgeous. The hotel is extremely quirky with some really awesome touches as well as some quite bizarre ones too.

I loved how the elevators always provided you with a different quote on leaving: "Remember the force is strong with this one."

As the hotel is in the heart of the city it is a little pricey, so my 2 daughters, wife and I shared a single room with 2 double beds to cut costs. The bizarre part about the room was that the wall between the bathroom (toilet/shower and vanities) and the bedroom opened up like cupboard doors. Now this would be okay for newly weds but not really for a family of 4! Even with the sliding doors closed the middle section of the wall was still glass enabling people to be viewed at any time whilst showering or using the toilet! This aside, the room was awesome.

The entire hotel, except the stairwells is also very dark, but this is to create an atmosphere no doubt and I loved it!

The only big negative I have about the hotel is not the hotel itself, but inconsiderate guests. There was a large foreign party in a room near us who were celebrating well into the early hours of the morning both in their room and out in the corridor. This made it extremely hard to sleep and I only wish I had told the group to "shut up" and show some consideration to other guests! Totally inconsiderate!

Finally, watch for the $200.00 bond on your credit card. Its a bit scarey when you are not informed that it has been added to you credit card, but will be refunded 48 hours after departing the hotel, if the minibar is not used!

All up lovely hotel, gorgeous, friendly staff and well maintained rooms. QT hotels totally rock... Loved QT Port Douglas too!

Room Tip: Make sure your room is well away from birthday/wedding celebrations as these guests tend to be very...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Reviewed October 7, 2013

A funky hotel located right in the heart of Sydney CBD, I stayed at the corner suit and the room was furnished nicely, the bathroom was huge, the only thing was the close proximity to the main road (Geroge Street) meant a lot of noise and bright neon lights shining through the window are either an enhancement to the ambience of the room or they keep you up at night! The walls are also quiet thin, I could hear everyone walking through morning and night even though the door was quiet a distance from the room. Good if you don't mind a bit of ruckus but probably not the best for young children or if you would like to have a quiet night! Another thing to add was that house keeping came by at 9am!! Of course we were still in bed, a little too early if you ask me!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends