“Great new funky hotel”

Ranked #13 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
milan italy
“Great new funky hotel”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed for pleasure for 3 nites recently. Paid for a deluxe king suite which I was happy with. Spacious, big led TV , MAYBE 50"?? But no BBC, CNN or Al Jazeera, , great big bathroom, and funky hip decor. Right in the middle of city, great for shopping and restaurants. About 50 meters to david jones fabulous food hall.
Experience the spa, it was very good even for a spoilt spa junkie
Only gripes were that they ran out of adaptor plugs...? What was I supposed to do ?
And no complimentary bottled water , in fact no bottled water for sale either in the very well stocked mini bar.i rang for some bottled water to be sent up, yes it arrived but I had to pay AUD10 for it!!! If they had told me it was 10 I would have not bothered . ,great coffee in the downstairs cafe, nespresso machine in the room .
I would stay here again, bring my own adaptor, and buy bottled water from 7-11.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank christopherong
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear gorgeous QT Sydney guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and as it was for a significant anniversary we splashed out on a Junior Suite. This place is really good, the location is terrific and the way the hotel has been worked into the old Gowings building is a credit to the designers. The entry arcade, which includes the cafe for breakfast, is brilliant. The public areas are quirky and you know you are not in one of he big chain hotels... Which is why we chose it. The room was a good size and the bed was really comfortable. Free movies and wi-fii were appreciated as the weather was rubbish for most of our stay. The gym is fine for the casual user. We ate in Gowings bar and grill which is a terrific room and good value with nice and efficient staff. So what's not great....the interface between reception and the restaurant is not seamless and the handover across shifts at reception is also not seamless which resulted in us not getting a reservation in the restaurant on our preferred evening. We ate in the lounge and the hotel discounted our food to $0 without us asking which was a nice touch. If you want anything other than a standard drink in the lounge it has to come from the bar upstairs...a bit clunky. The room rate we paid was >$500/night and overall we reckon the value for money equation is slightly stretched at that price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear MA_JA_AUS,

Thanks so much for your review and congratulations on your anniversary! We hope that is was a gorgeous, loved-up day.

I'm hearing that we ticked all the boxes in terms of the hotel offering - design, services etc, but let ourselves down on our communication (both between departments, and to yourself as guests).

I am so sorry that this happened, and am glad we got the chance to try and save the stay with comp'ing your meal. We know that service is the thing that tips a stay from pretty great to perfect and we will work on this to make sure we are perfect when you next stay with us.

Thanks also for letting us know. Yours was a great, even handed review and we really appreciate it!

Here's cheers to many more happy anniversaries for you.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Love the individuality and attention to detail! You can see the effort that has been invested in creating an experience.
The bar is fabulous but can get noisy. Bar food is fun and its great and very appropriate menu. The restaurant is not as good as the bar - all food tastes like its been drowned in butter and is over the top.
The King Delux room is beautifully appointed - but is small, which unfortunately means the individual decorations impacts the overall feel - making it feel cluttered and crammed. Still, would love to experience a suite.
Bathroom is good overall with that great attention to detail and personality. The small (but deep) bath was also disappointing. Cool but not practical or fun. The biggest downfall (other than the small size of the room) is the toilet. No privacy, loud and echoey and the lighting disturbs your partner. Nothing sexy about seeing / hearing toilet time.
The breakfast in the restaurant was great. Coffee was excellent and food was high quality. Don't be intimidated by the creative menu - if you want something more 'classic' they will accommodate.
LOVE the extra touches of personality even in the common areas - the Darth Vader sound affects, the quirky room numbers and the interactive artwork. Cool. Central location = perfect. Sydney CBD really needed this!
Didn't love - the noise. A weird repetative banging all night.
But the overall experience was fab that I would love to do again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear gorgeous QT Sydney guest,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

A fantastic hotel in the middle of Sydney. Super cool and stylish rooms which are well designed. The bathroom and lighting are a highlight with the bathtub and rain shower just fantastic. The bed was very comfortable, a soft pillowtop. Free wifi and movies were a great touch. The lifts are fantastic in the hotel, very clever. They know how many people inside so play music to match. And of course, the Nespresso machine and milk frother are a great way to start the morning. The hotel is right next to great shopping spots in Sydney and St James station nearby making the Airtrain a cheap option from the airport. A nice 5-10 min walk down to the harbour. Check out Mrs Palmer & Co below the Establishment Hotel. Great spot.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Sydney, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hey MikeyMikeAus!

What a fabulous review! I want to see pictures of you in the hotel. I bet you are super cool and stylish too.

Sounds like the hotel worked a treat for your stay and I am beyond delighted that you loved it so much.

Hope to see you again soonest.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My partner surprised me with a stay @ QT Sydney & I loved every minuet of it! It is a very arty/ quirky boutique hotel - large & new. Our deluxe room was really spacious you get a lot for your money here! My advice is pay a little extra for the larger room it felt more like a junior suite! This is a place that's trying hard to be bang 'on-trend' but with a sense of humour which I appreciated. The decor is wildly eclectic with some fascinating ephemera to wonder over or at! It's a step above the now predictable colder informality of a Shreager hotel. Staff were very pleasant & the location is excellent indeed. We had a massage & facial @ The QT Spa - probably the best massage I've ever had - amazing! Wonderful team there just what a relaxing meditative experience needs to be. All in all if u like something different, fun & trendy this is the place for you! The only gripe I would have is like so many of these new on trend hotels the lighting is very dark - I'm all for moody ambience but not if you're falling over something in a corridor cos it's too darkly lit to see!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MrAndyFineDandy your profile name is F.U.N!

Another reviewer that I can see wandering around QT, loving life, and bumping into things! Sorry about the mood lighting :) Maybe we need to amp those naked globes up a notch.

Thanks for the shout out for spaQ. The last time I had a massage in the spa it was also, no fibbing, the best massage I have ever had. She worked out months of computer knots for me!

We would love, love, love to take care of you again, so maybe you can give your partner a treat with us next time!

We love you many moons.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have just stayed at QT with my partner – what a wonderful experience we both had. We have stayed in many of the world’s great hotels and we loved QT. We were warmly greeted as we arrived at the glorious ground floor lobby and café. Despite the wildly popular Sydney Film Festival being on at the State Theatre next door, our arrival was handled quickly and efficiently. We were whisked up to the level one reception in the amusing elevators. Reception was professional and swift despite a number of other guests checking in. The amazing décor of the reception gives you your first real taste of what this unique hotel (and, I believe, expanding chain) has to offer.

We stayed in a State room overlooking Market Street. I enjoyed the historic guest hallways with their elaborate Gothic ceilings and fun room numbers – you’ll see what I mean! The room décor was moody, warm and luxurious – I especially loved the beautiful bespoke carpet in the room that morphs from grey and deep gold to red tones in the far corners of the room. The designer furniture, lamps, artwork, quirky objects and ornaments really transformed the space from an anonymous hotel room to an incredibly comfortable and glamorous guest room. The bathroom was enormous and beautifully equipped. The bath was delicious and the rainforest shower head was just perfect after a long day. We really loved the scented toiletries.

The bed was like lying on a cloud and the room was completely silent from the hustle and bustle outside. I loved being able to recharge my IPhone and listen to my own music on the bedside table. The really useful adjustable beside lamps are perfect when you want to read and your partner wants total darkness.
We had a superb dinner that night and breakfast the next day at Gowings Bar and Grill overlooking the magnificent floodlit Queen Victoria Building. I hear it’s extremely popular on the weekend so make sure to book. Service in the restaurant was warm and knowledgeable and the place had a really great buzz about it. I loved the open kitchen and the fact that breakfast was à la carte and cooked to order. The food is honest, well curated and superbly cooked and presented – the only trouble you will have is narrowing your choice down.

We loved QT and would recommend it to any travellers looking for quirky, well designed, high quality accommodation and dining with that something extra.

Room Tip: I loved the State rooms, overlooking Market Street, with their gorgeous carpet. The Gowings rooms ov...
1 Thank Venustas96
Dearest Antinous96,

Wow - your profile pic is amazing! Too fun.

Awesome shout out from a Senior Reviewer too! I love the State Theatre side of the building too - it's got that extra arty kick that reminds me of the interior of the State Theatre building itself.

Fantastic that you got to enjoy dinner at Gowings Bar and Grill. Fabulous that you were able to get a booking! For all people reading these reviews pretty please make sure to make a booking so you don't miss out when you are in house because the food is to die for.

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know that you loved the hotel. We really appreciate it.

Merci!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a stay in the QT hotel Sydney last week and it was fantastic. Our stay included breakfast, wifi, and movies and we used them all! The hotel is quite different than any we have stayed in before but all was fantastic. We caught the airport link train from the airport to St James station and just rolled down the hill. We were met and welcomed by a lovely young lady at the door and ushered up to the reception (on the first floor). The reception was courteous and efficient and when I expressed doubts about some reviews that I had read pertaining to a 'different kind of bathroom", I was told that I could ring down to reception after I had seen the room and we could be moved. Great customer service! We were happy with the room but withing 5 minutes we had a phone call to check we were happy. Even greater customer service! The breakfast was wonderful, great service from friendly staff and fabulous food. Vivid Sydney was on while we were there and the fireworks at Darling Harbour were a real bonus for our stay in Sydney. I have no reservations in recommending the QT Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maaz06
Hi maaz06,

Thanks so much for your review. Sounds like we nailed both the aesthetic and service offerings which is music to our ears! Yay Team QT!

I'm going to need to pour through the reviews because I can't figure out what 'the different kind of bathroom is'! I'm thinking it might be the different baths, but I'm not quite sure.

Thank you for letting us know that you loved your stay and we hope you get to roll on down from James Street station to us next time you are in town.

Big love.