“Finally a fun hotel in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars
Review of QT Sydney

QT Sydney
Ranked #9 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Finally a fun hotel in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night in the most basic room for a special occasion. As someone who often stays in the city for pleasure and not business, it is so refreshing and wonderful to see such a beautiful and original high end hotel open that is focused on being an authentic experience for it's guests and providing seriously great service. This hotel is all about the experience and this can be summed up by the espresso martini station in the hotel room with all the ingredients and instructions needed to make 2 fabulous martinis, a great start to the stay and something that all hotels should think about doing - such a great idea! The room was extremely well appointed, very glam and made us feel like we were in new York (about time Sydney) and so much better then the bland boring rooms we have previously stayed in. Very comfy bed and the bathroom was big and very modern. Loved all the mini bar options as well as the nespresso machine. It was fun exploring the room and the hotel and not knowing what to expect, the lobby and downstairs by parlour lane is beautifully decorated, it's even an experience riding in the lifts that change music when different amounts people get in - fun! We had dinner at gowings grill which was very nice especially the prawn cocktail entree and the profiteroles for dessert, stopped off in the bar afterwards for a drink and couldn't believe how beautiful all the staff were but also how friendly, they moved things around to find us a seat and helped us with our drinks selection, an absolute rarity at pretty much any other high end bar in Sydney for the average folk. Gowings also made us feel like we in a lam in NYC, the decor is so glam. The only criticism I would have is that we thought the air con was a tad bit too loud but it didnt end up affecting our sleep and having had a bit of a head cold at the time, I thought the tissues were more like paper, obviously the cheapest kind going, and I would have expected them to be of a higher quality. Overall, QT is refreshing and fun, it's more then just a hotel to stay a night if you can't be bothered getting home from city, it's a 5 star experience to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Room Tip: Gowings wing is beautifully art Deco and very quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear HN_travels25,

Yay! Getting a NYC comparison in a review is about the best of the best. Our own little piece of New York right in downtown Sydney. What a dreamboat!

Thanks so much for letting us know that you loved your stay, and it is so wonderful to see Sydneysiders getting in and trying the hotel. I know I am absolutely, positively, no holes barred biased about how wonderful the hotel it, but in all seriousness - it is the best :)

Please check us out again.

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stay a few nights in the King delux suite. You will not be sorry.
We recently stayed over the Australia Day weekend for my wife's birthday treat.
Great atmosphere and excellent service by all the staff.
Qt is perfectly positioned within the city of Sydney and close to all transport and interesting sightseeing places, restaurants and nightclubs.

Try not to get carried away dancing in the elevators, because I was sprung a few times when the elevator door opened and I was still bopping to the music inside. The wife and I loved those elevators.
Try the Tuna on the dinner menu. Awesome!
I found this hotel to be refreshing and interesting to the eye. Lots of good design that is visually stimulating.
We will be back for another weekend soon.
This hotel has everything and is well thought out.
Cheers.
Andrew.

Dear AndrewR,

Ok - we are twins. Tuna = my fave on the menu. Elevators = my fave thing in the hotel. Dancing in the elevators = too many awkward moments to recall.

We are delighted that you really enjoyed your stay and that your loved up getaway was everything you wanted it to be.

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a stylish, beautifully decorated hotel in the centre of Sydney, so it's in a great location for sightseeing, you can walk to Darling Harbour and the train station and bus stops are very close by. It's also a great place to start a run down through the Botanical Gardens to the opera house (if you're that way inclined), it's a nice circuit.
Staff are friendly and pleasant, and, although somewhat lacking in local knowledge, helpful in other ways, e.g. providing us with an electrical adaptor.
We arrived straight early morning after a long flight and our room was ready, which was great.
Some people have found the beds too soft, but we found them extremely comfortable (just show you can't please all the people all the time). Rooms are spacious, coffee machine and milk frother a very nice unusual addition. Only problem with our room was the lack of light - it face a building very close by so there was no daylight, but the room lighting was inadequate. Apart from that, lovely.

Room Tip: ask for one facing the front of the building if you want daylight
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BathHappyTraveller,

Thank you for an absolutely lovely review. I bet you would have been an absolute delight to take care of. There is always a special sort of kindness that comes across in reviews from our English travellers. Very gentle :)

Wonderful that you loved the beds. We have had a few comments on people thinking that they are too soft. I personally have never slept better than on these beds. It is such a personal thing.

I hope that you will make the trip again, and we will make sure to pop you in a front facing room as you have requested.

Happy and safe travels
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just came from Vancouver that morning, I had a warm welcome at the reception. Had a short visit in the room and went away for some sight seeing etc. Really a good spot to start going into any direction in the city.

Room Tip: Enjoy your stay!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank huggi77
Hey huggi77!

Your profile pic is fun! We are delighted to have been a fantastic first stop in your trip to Australia. I am especially delighted that you had a wonderful first experience at reception.

Hoping you have a great trip, and hoping to see you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I don't normally review hotels, however we had such a great experience that I just had to write a review. Decided to take the family into the city to celebrate Australia Day. After searching the net, decided on the QT as something different. We were not disappointed!!! From the first contact with the hotel we were impressed from valet parking the car (yes there is a cost, but not unreasonable when you consider the cost of car parking in Sydney!) to check in to room service all the staff were polite and wonderfully helpful.....nothing was a problem! We stayed in a twin room which was great...the decor and bathroom were fab, particularly loved the sliding doors between the room & bath. Loved the funky music in the lifts....made us dance everytime! We requested a late check out, again...no problem! Can't say enough about this great hotel only that we can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear WrightEscape,

We love, love, love it when people create a profile just to review us. It is such a wonderful feeling. Thanks so much! It lets us know that we have really hit the right mark on your stay.

Fabulous remarks on the staff too. That is musc to our ears.

How fun are the lifts! I was just responding to another reviewer about the exact same thing. I am always dancing in those lifts! More often than not to 'Only the lonely' lol.

Please come again soonest. We would love to have you back.

“We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

From the greeting at the entrence of the hotel, to the retro designed room, to the helpful concierge (Stela), to the superb breakfast and the fantastic in house steak restaurant food... you know you have come to a 5 star place. This place is a thoughtfully designed hotel all through and through.

The only downside is the view from the room that was pretty much non existent, ask the staff for room with a non-alley view, I would not be surprised if they will arrange for it if they can.

Dear Leswant,

Thanks so much for the Swedish shout out. We consider you guys to be the kings of all things cool, so 5 stars from you is a very big deal!

Next time you are with us, please let us know that you have a particular room request and we will do our very best to make this happen for you.

Tack så mycket
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I think QT should emulate the hotels in Dubai and invent a new star category.

Remember when the Burj al Arab opened and decided that 5 stars wasn't enough, so they were just going to call themselves a 7 star? Imagine the meeting where they tried to work out how many stars to give themselves. "Hey guys - 5 isn't enough. What shall we give ourselves - 6? Nah, not enough - how about 10? No that's ridiculous, split the difference - let's call it 7"

Well I'd like to nominate QT as Sydney's first 6 star hotel. We've stayed at a good proportion of the 5 star hotels: Amora, Shangri-la, Westin, Blue, The Darling, Hilton, Observatory, Sheraton, Swissotel, etc, etc but QT is far and away my favourite and the one I'll be returning to. (Did like the Darling very much, but doesn't have QT's vibe and restaurant quality).

I think our room was a standard, but it was huge and absolutely beautifully appointed. I'd expected it to be a little more quirky (ie not so luxurious), but it was dripping in luxury and we hardly wanted to leave. We took advantage of their clever little idea of putting the ingredients for an espresso martini in the room - it's our new favourite party starter.

I have a confession to make. I had already pre-judged this hotel and deemed I would only give it 3 stars. Reason: I read a review that mentioned the $200 "withholding amount" which apparently is to cover "breakages and the like". I've never come across this before and it made me feel a little untrusted. I also was a bit sneery about the quirky hype and thought that it might have a "try too hard" atmosphere, and the staff might be a bit too busy being cool and trendy to actually be of any use. Couldn't have been further from the truth.

QT managed to turn my 3 stars into a definite 6. Every staff member we came into contact with (including over the phone) were simply brilliant - whoever trains/hires them should be congratulated. Despite all looking beautiful enough to be models, they're so friendly and helpful - not stuck up at all.

We loved being right in the heart of town. I was worried about noise - no need - it was the quietest hotel room I've ever stayed in.

We stayed for two nights and could easily have stayed a month. The only reason I was glad to get home was with the very tempting Gowings Bar and Grill on site, we tended to have far too good a time and being old and decrepit, I was exhausted and needed a Bex and a good lie down.

And did I see that one reviewer said that QT was expensive? What - have you seen their website? Rooms are from $380 a night. We wanted to stay at the newly renovated Park Hyatt, but their quote for the weekend we wanted to stay was $750 a night - room only.
Our weekend cost us around $900 - that was two nights accom, dinner at Gowings one night, and copious, copious amounts of alcohol (mainly cocktails).
(I've just checked the website -- they've got an amazing special on for January that was even better value than the one we had!)

2 Thank Susansthermomixup
Hey countryweekender,

Yehaaa! Look at you on your fun horse. Let me tell you, 5 stars from a Top Contributor is like getting 10 stars for us, so you have done us a very big service. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know that you loved your stay. I see by your review logs that you really tell it how you see it as well, so we are even mor delighted.

Best review I have ever read. Hands down. You sound fun, you sound QT, and you sound like someone we want to come back as soon as is humanly possible. Pretty please let us know when you are checking in so we can give you an extra special warm welcome.

Much obliged purdy lady!