“Well located with good facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of QT Sydney

QT Sydney
Ranked #9 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Far North Queensland
“Well located with good facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We recently stayed as a couple at the QT for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The whole hotel has a funky feel about it and the room we had was as per the hotel photographs. The rooms were very clean, relatively spacious and well appointed including a nespresso machine. The beds were extremely comfortable however given the age of the building you can sometimes hear the lift throughout the night.
The restaurant and bar on the facilities is very popular and would recommend booking in advance if you intend to stay over a weekend. We found the breakfast menu to be fairly varied and the food was of a high standard along with service staff.
Parking on the premises is not cheap so factor that into your room rate if required.
The hotel is located adjacent to the Pitt Street Mall which was excellent for shopping. The mono rail is also in close proximately to the hotel.
My only suggestion for improvement would be to advise guests checking in to book for the restaurant if they intend to dine there.
Overall, a very well located hotel with good facilities.

1 Thank Rosco_FNQ
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Rosco_FNQ,

I completely agree with you about letting guests know to book. We are so busy in Gowings Bar and Grill that bookings are absolutely essential. We will get onto that straight away for you.

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that everything was as it should be.

Please come back soon!

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just finished a little staycation weekend at QT Sydney with my partner, who lives in LA. Wanted to finish off this visit with something a little fun/different.

It's a great location if you want to camp in the CBD and the hotel itself is super cool. Room layout and decor is amazing. It's kooky without feeling forced. We stayed in a junior suite on the State side and absolutely loved it. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I wanted to steal half of the furniture.

Service was friendly but not intrusive. Free wi-fi was rock solid. Food both in-room and in the restaurant was good, though the room service menu is light-on (but available 24 hours. Yay.)

One minor issue which maybe points to a new property with some process issues to iron out - our first night the minibar had not been restocked and upon checkout, all of the missing items were added to our bill, totalling more than $200 in charges. But the staff member removed the charge with a minimum of fuss and said they'd call if there was any issue, so hopefully that's that!

I'll certainly be recommending this property to friends coming to town.

One extra tip: sign up for their free membership program to get discounts on the rates and a free late check out entitlement (you'll still need to claim it with reception)

• 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank VSau
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear VSau,

Thanks for a wonderful review. The language in there points to you being a seasoned traveller (an international one if I hazard a guess based on where your partner is from) and we are beyond delighted that the hotel hit all the right marks for you.

The suites are absolutely epic. I completely agree!

We would love to see you again next time you are in town for the weekend, or just want to get away.

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

First the positive comments -

Stayed for a two night package for husbands birthday - we loved the room facing George St. - fun and funky, new and the best location for shopping, Queen Victoria Building, transport around Sydney and cafes- card and cupcakes a nice touch. Staff helpful, plentiful and friendly. Anna on front desk followed up all enquiries well. Really great coffee at Parlour Lane(downstairs cafe) and the SpaQ treatments were well worth the price. Dinner at Gowings was superb with the finesse and finishing touches of the very experienced John, made it a night to remember. I strongly suggest, if you wish to visit, to join the loyalty program - its for free and we had price reductions on room rate, food and beverage as well as late checkout.

Unfortunately - the finer details - I had an enquiry and not only could front desk not tell me the details of their own offer, neither could the restaurant. This is where the lack of training and or inexperience was noticable. Due to the lack of knowledge on package details we missed out on our welcome drinks. The cake of soap in the bathroom was not new and left for our use. The Nespresso machines in the room are fab - but not if you drink decafe - room service do not supply it - milk missing from fridge. We literally walked across the road to the Nespresso shop on the corner and brought our own - shame the staff couldnt do it. Suggested to front desk and room service to supply decaf - will wait to be seen. By this stage I suspected the bill would not be correct - front desk did a good job of adjusting the package and discounts - after I pointed this out at check out. The biggest shock, when I got home and checked my banking details - that the authorization amount was the full price of two nights plus an extra $200. This is not stated on any paper work nor told to me by front desk. A hefty price to tie up your credit card for 10 days at Christmas time - let alone pay fees on it. I was also charged my 20% discounts !!! Called Adam and he was very helpful - he will contact my bank and have those charges promptly reversed. So --- I am very patient and relaxed - this did not cause stress - I will hope they will have it all ironed out by the time I return - for I shall!
Tracy

1 Thank TracySSydney
Dear TracySSydney,

Another local shout out! It is so awesome to see our Sydney contingent getting in and enjoying the hotel. It is amazing how even being 10kms from hom in a hotel can feel like a whole different world when you have someone to make your bed for you!

Thanks for all the notes, both positive and those that needed working on. These are definitely fresh hotel hiccups and will level out as the processes become smoother and we gauge what is exactly needed by our guests.

I hoe your hubby had a beautiful birthday and that you might consider making it a yearly thing!

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I just stayed for two nights along with about 20 others for a business trip. I was amazed when I arrived from the decor in the lobby and stunning room. I wanted just to touch every finish and surface as it was so inviting. I had breakfast which was really 5 star. So delicious and no request was hard for staff to meet.

We made use of the two gorgeous bars as well as the more relaxed 'honestly bar'. I was really blown away by how beautiful this place is, and I could not stop snapping photos of the decor [particularly as I work for an interior finish product so it was so well fit for us to be staying here].

I love the attention to detail - even the music and quirky quotes and sounds played when you arrive at your level. Mini bar was also fantastically stocked and I thought very affordable for a hotel of this calibre [thanks I made great use of this!]

The only two things I can say that may be looked at is I would have really liked the option for some brighter lighting in the bathroom. The mood lighting is beautiful, but putting making on at night was really hard and I could not see very well [maybe a vanity mirror with lighting would be great].

Also the staff were really friendly and nice [and I loved all their clothes and presentation - all gorgeous!], but it took the valet 1 hour and 15 mins to retrieve our car. So we stood out the front the entire time and were told it would only be 15 minutes when we originally called from our room to request it, which unfortunately made us late for an appointment and kept people waiting for us.

All in all, I was very impressed by my stay. My room was a little haven of luxury, which was quiet - I felt like there was no one else on my level! beds were amazing [pillows may be improved a little], bath and shower was spectacular.

I was disappointed I did not have time to visit the spa - but I will def be doing that on my next return.

Unique, beautiful and inviting!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicky R
Dear Nicky R,

It is so flattering that you created a profile just to review us. Thank you so much for this effort, and also for your gorgeous review.

It is wonderful to hear from a design industry insider that you loved your stay and that we have hit the mark on all our choices.

We will get onto the bathroom lighting issue and make sure that the ladies are able to get their makeup done perfectly!

Thanks again and we hope to see you the next time you are in Sydney.

Brisbane Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Yep good property...... but a big big issue .....

This property clearly has either NO or totally failed to implement thier disaster / major incident action / recovery plan ..........A five star hotel in a major city fwith no power / phones / A/C internet yada yada for more than 4 fours is a major event....... Now I expect management will reply to these post with their usually 'spin' but try and look through that and focus on the basic issues.

He is what should of happened - remember the reception for the QT is up a level or two ..... not on ground level.

The situation should of been very quickly reviewed with - engineering / maintenance swinging into action and calling in their relevant contractors within minutes.

If safe someone should of remained at the main reception but only as redirector......
A prime forward comand post maned by the most senior staff on duty who where not part of the actual electrical fix. A simple table two ways / mobile phones / emergency light packs is all that was required.

What did happen - very junior staffed.... who smiled nicely but frankly did not have a clue how to manage the situation maned the main door ....... No annoucments over the emergency warning speaker system - people leaving and re-entering the building totally uncontroled and at will..........

I'm sorry but 'the one one is to blame' simply does not cut it ........ Our Saturday stay was seriously effected.

And to add insult come check out time not even a hint of a rate reduction for the utter debarcal that we had to endure.

In summary totally 'Clueless' in a crisis situation and simple not good enough ..... to add insult no even minor compensation for the farce .......What a joke .....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank PayingBrissyGuest
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear PayingBrissieGuest,

Thanks kindly for your review. Whilst it may seem like this response to your review has more spin that a Nadal backhander it's so confusing for us to read reviews of the incident on the weekend and see such varied descriptions of how we handled the situation.

We were at 100% capacity on Saturday, and have had very few exceptions to the 'we handled a difficult and unavoidable situation very well' rule with regards to this event. This doesn't mean that your concerns aren't valid. It may mean that there is a small gap in our planning that has seen you in a different situation than the bulk of our guests.

Please accept our apologies, know that we are completely aware of what needs to be offered to guests in the case of power outage, and we will endeavour to do our best in the unlikely event of it occurring again.

With complete validation of your concerns.

Knesselare, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at QT Sydney and we had a great great great time!
Everything is perfect: the design, the atmosphere in the lobby, bar, cafe even in the elevators!
The friendly and professional crew, the superb location in CBD and good restaurant.
Rooms are very clean, cosy, super hip and full of fun stuff!
We especially liked the Nespresso & twin shower. Only missed a full length mirror (and a little bit more storage space or an extra closed) But that's only a detail and I heard all rooms come with a different design, maybe other rooms have more closeds?
QT Sydney is a new kind of hotel with an original approach and positive vibe! Hope QT goes worldwide, they certainly can compete (and maybe do better) with the big ones like W and Morgans Hotels!
Special thanx to excellent and very helpful concierge!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank DavyVermeire
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear DavyVermeire,

Thanks for an awesome review. I wonder if we will go world wide! Imagine that! World wide QT domination. It would be cross-continental designer heaven!

I'm hearing you on the mirrors. Sometimes you've got to be able to check out the head to toe look!

We hope to see you again really soon.

Portland Vic Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Found this new hotel on Expedia and it looked interesting. Well, were we impressed. Quirky Goth/Art Deco type interior. Out there and very different. Top quality furnishings and staff were very helpful and friendly at check-in. Room was very quiet and the bath was lovely.
For a 7 week old hotel. this place is rocking!!
We had breakfast on the sunday and walked upstairs not knowing what to expect and the place was buzzing. i reckon there were around 10 chefs and about the same number of staff buzzing around. All staff were busy and very attentive.
A pleasure to stay and would highly recommend for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew W
Dear Andrew W,

Wehooooooo! You loved it! We see so many couples coming into the hotel for a cheeky weekender and we just know that they are going to love it.

It's like the most gorgeous house you've ever been to, with an owner that it quite eccentric, and a lot naughty!

Hope to see you again asap.