“Like walking into a classy 50's New York movie set”
Review of QT Sydney

QT Sydney
Ranked #15 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I just stayed for two nights along with about 20 others for a business trip. I was amazed when I arrived from the decor in the lobby and stunning room. I wanted just to touch every finish and surface as it was so inviting. I had breakfast which was really 5 star. So delicious and no request was hard for staff to meet.

We made use of the two gorgeous bars as well as the more relaxed 'honestly bar'. I was really blown away by how beautiful this place is, and I could not stop snapping photos of the decor [particularly as I work for an interior finish product so it was so well fit for us to be staying here].

I love the attention to detail - even the music and quirky quotes and sounds played when you arrive at your level. Mini bar was also fantastically stocked and I thought very affordable for a hotel of this calibre [thanks I made great use of this!]

The only two things I can say that may be looked at is I would have really liked the option for some brighter lighting in the bathroom. The mood lighting is beautiful, but putting making on at night was really hard and I could not see very well [maybe a vanity mirror with lighting would be great].

Also the staff were really friendly and nice [and I loved all their clothes and presentation - all gorgeous!], but it took the valet 1 hour and 15 mins to retrieve our car. So we stood out the front the entire time and were told it would only be 15 minutes when we originally called from our room to request it, which unfortunately made us late for an appointment and kept people waiting for us.

All in all, I was very impressed by my stay. My room was a little haven of luxury, which was quiet - I felt like there was no one else on my level! beds were amazing [pillows may be improved a little], bath and shower was spectacular.

I was disappointed I did not have time to visit the spa - but I will def be doing that on my next return.

Unique, beautiful and inviting!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nicky R
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Nicky R,

It is so flattering that you created a profile just to review us. Thank you so much for this effort, and also for your gorgeous review.

It is wonderful to hear from a design industry insider that you loved your stay and that we have hit the mark on all our choices.

We will get onto the bathroom lighting issue and make sure that the ladies are able to get their makeup done perfectly!

Thanks again and we hope to see you the next time you are in Sydney.

QT

Write a ReviewReviews (2,126)

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Yep good property...... but a big big issue .....

This property clearly has either NO or totally failed to implement thier disaster / major incident action / recovery plan ..........A five star hotel in a major city fwith no power / phones / A/C internet yada yada for more than 4 fours is a major event....... Now I expect management will reply to these post with their usually 'spin' but try and look through that and focus on the basic issues.

He is what should of happened - remember the reception for the QT is up a level or two ..... not on ground level.

The situation should of been very quickly reviewed with - engineering / maintenance swinging into action and calling in their relevant contractors within minutes.

If safe someone should of remained at the main reception but only as redirector......
A prime forward comand post maned by the most senior staff on duty who where not part of the actual electrical fix. A simple table two ways / mobile phones / emergency light packs is all that was required.

What did happen - very junior staffed.... who smiled nicely but frankly did not have a clue how to manage the situation maned the main door ....... No annoucments over the emergency warning speaker system - people leaving and re-entering the building totally uncontroled and at will..........

I'm sorry but 'the one one is to blame' simply does not cut it ........ Our Saturday stay was seriously effected.

And to add insult come check out time not even a hint of a rate reduction for the utter debarcal that we had to endure.

In summary totally 'Clueless' in a crisis situation and simple not good enough ..... to add insult no even minor compensation for the farce .......What a joke .....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PayingBrissyGuest
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear PayingBrissieGuest,

Thanks kindly for your review. Whilst it may seem like this response to your review has more spin that a Nadal backhander it's so confusing for us to read reviews of the incident on the weekend and see such varied descriptions of how we handled the situation.

We were at 100% capacity on Saturday, and have had very few exceptions to the 'we handled a difficult and unavoidable situation very well' rule with regards to this event. This doesn't mean that your concerns aren't valid. It may mean that there is a small gap in our planning that has seen you in a different situation than the bulk of our guests.

Please accept our apologies, know that we are completely aware of what needs to be offered to guests in the case of power outage, and we will endeavour to do our best in the unlikely event of it occurring again.

With complete validation of your concerns.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at QT Sydney and we had a great great great time!
Everything is perfect: the design, the atmosphere in the lobby, bar, cafe even in the elevators!
The friendly and professional crew, the superb location in CBD and good restaurant.
Rooms are very clean, cosy, super hip and full of fun stuff!
We especially liked the Nespresso & twin shower. Only missed a full length mirror (and a little bit more storage space or an extra closed) But that's only a detail and I heard all rooms come with a different design, maybe other rooms have more closeds?
QT Sydney is a new kind of hotel with an original approach and positive vibe! Hope QT goes worldwide, they certainly can compete (and maybe do better) with the big ones like W and Morgans Hotels!
Special thanx to excellent and very helpful concierge!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DavyVermeire
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear DavyVermeire,

Thanks for an awesome review. I wonder if we will go world wide! Imagine that! World wide QT domination. It would be cross-continental designer heaven!

I'm hearing you on the mirrors. Sometimes you've got to be able to check out the head to toe look!

We hope to see you again really soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Found this new hotel on Expedia and it looked interesting. Well, were we impressed. Quirky Goth/Art Deco type interior. Out there and very different. Top quality furnishings and staff were very helpful and friendly at check-in. Room was very quiet and the bath was lovely.
For a 7 week old hotel. this place is rocking!!
We had breakfast on the sunday and walked upstairs not knowing what to expect and the place was buzzing. i reckon there were around 10 chefs and about the same number of staff buzzing around. All staff were busy and very attentive.
A pleasure to stay and would highly recommend for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew W

Dear Andrew W,

Wehooooooo! You loved it! We see so many couples coming into the hotel for a cheeky weekender and we just know that they are going to love it.

It's like the most gorgeous house you've ever been to, with an owner that it quite eccentric, and a lot naughty!

Hope to see you again asap.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Beautiful hotel with very friendly staff who make you feel welcome. I was also affected by the power cut but it was clearly nobody's fault and there was adequate emergency lighting. This is a new hotel, so teething problems are inevitable and the power went out on a Saturday evening, so it's quite understandable that it took a while to get the electricity company out to fix it.

More than making up for it was the attitude of the staff, who were all genuinely nice and apologetic. Also on the plus side was the fact that the power was working in one half of the building, where there was a free bar offering unlimited drinks and cocktails as a way of making up for the problem. Worked for me and I'll stay there again. Great place!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David B

Dear dbjbrennan,

Oh, thanks god! A reviewer who thought we did ok during the power cut. Big virtual hug coming your way! I'll pass this on to the team straight away to make sure they know they hit the marl with you while the hotel was without power.

We will definitely have the drill downpat should it ever happen again (fingers crossed it doesn't, because I can tell you that there were a few of us who were wishing we could shine the Batman symbol into the sky that day!).

Big love and thanks.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at the QT for just one night last week. Due to a last minute work trip, there was not much accomodation available and the QT seemed to be the cheapest 5 star room in Sydney that night! I must admit that I was somewhat dubious after checking out the website - very busy and looked a little cheap (almost rent a room by the hour sort of look)? But I was so glad that I did stay. Without rehashing everyone else's comments about decor and service, I will say that those comments are spot on. The fitout is amazing and completely unique! The service was brilliant!
There are still a few teething problems but nothing you won't get over in a few minutes. When I rang for room service, no-one answered my numerous calls but when I rang reception, she took my order straight away and was very apologetic and friendly. The room service menu is very limited - this may be deliberate to get you out of your room and into the bars and restaurants on site. What I had was great though!
I have seen comments about only bar of soap in the bathroom and I found the same thing. Somewhat annoying when you have to keep moving the soap between basin and shower but not a big deal in the scheme of things.
The one thing that I do suggest they review are the pillows. All my pillows were foam pillows and far too fat. I much prefer the down pillows. A hotel of this calibre should have a choice of pillows, if not a pillow menu as well.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to justify the rates for future business trips but will definitely be booking in a long weekend for a personal trip! Overall, a fantastic stay and congratulations to the team behind this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrea H

Dear Andrea H,

It's awesome that you got to try the hotel! I'm getting that you didn't love the website and that we've got to check out the pillows because they are extra fluffy. We'll have a look at the pillows and see what can be rejigged to make them comfy for everyone (it might even be good to have a couple of more streamlined options available for people if they request them?). Onto it.

We hope that you are able to come and stay with us again while you are having a fun trip to Sydney and thanks so much for the kind comments about the service. They really are a dream team!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

How exciting to find a funky hotel in your own city that reminds me of something I have stayed at in Berlin, Athens or Nice.
Fantastic welcome, did valet parking, pulled up, jumped out, got greeted by happy girl in theatrical uniform and orange hair, lifts had cool snippets of music. Reception area full of fantastic wall design and cool lounges. We had booked a suite and were not disappointed. Comfy bed & pillows, cool art, loved the top hat night light next to our bed, great big bathroom beautiful.
Wherever you look in this hotel you will find brilliant interior design, from the entry, to the rooms, to the hallways to the restaurant.
Love the fact they included old parts of the original building, it really works.
The have put together an amazing selection of staff, every single one was surprisingly knowledgeable and very happy.
Cool bar area, great, simple wine and cocktail list, food in Restaurant seriously hard to top. Really affordable too for what you get.
I cannot remember the last time I had such an all around amazing experience at a hotel.
Would go back without a doubt.

Room Tip: Suites are fantastic