“there is better accommodation”
Review of Base Backpackers

Base Backpackers
Ranked #22 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The accomm was ok, but in the 4-bed women's only dorm there was only 1 chair. There was no quiet place or reading corner in the whole hostel and there was no escape from the thumping noises of the attached pub. The lifts took ages, our room was hot (30 degr C) and supposedly airconditioned.... despite 3 complaints it was not rectified. However hostel was clean, convenient and within walking distance to attractions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Marianne G

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We have a base jumping card so needed to stay here! The room we stayed in was a 4 dorm and it was ok and clean but the bunks were rickety and felt unsafe.
Lift was crap and took ages to work and we were on the 3rd floor which meant going up 6 flights of stairs.
The kitchen was filthy and had cockroaches running up the walls - we reportedbit to reception and they just said well call house keeping like it was the norm...i didnt eat in the kitchen again.
Wifi was to pay for but quite fast!!
Hostel says no alcohol but people were drinking and very loud also someone threw up all over the bathroom doors but in fairness to tje staff it was cleaned quickly and the rowdy people asked to be quiet but i know a few people had complained.
Wouldnt stay again

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank stacey8484
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Horrible, horrible, horrible stay with Base backpackers and ridiculously disappointed after an amazing stay at their sister property in Melbourne.

I came to Sydney on a last minute work trip and the hotels I usually stayed at were booked out so I stayed with Base.

Worst mistake ever.

The private rooms are directly above the club below and they run every night. The first night I tried to sleep at midnight and wasn't able to until closer to 4am... and I had to wake up at 5:30 for a meeting. The second morning I luckily napped from 6pm until 10pm when I woke to the pumping bass from the club below and then couldn't get back to sleep until 4am - and it was a very disturbed sleep as well.

Aside from this, the staff were friendly. Everything was relatively clean. The TV remote didn't work even after I changed the batteries with ones from my (working) mouse, and the location is fantastic.

That being said, I will never stay in one of their private rooms (nor a dorm after looking at the shared shower - I took one look at them out of curiosity) after this.

Room Tip: Don't get a private room unless you want to party - they're directly above the bar below.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NicoleTravelBug
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Staying for a couple of days for a training session. Base is clean, tidy and handy to everything. The room I am in is a King room with own bathroom, plenty of power points , air conditioning and linen is provided. Very cool at a good price.
Negatives are that the room is a little stinky and I couldn't work the tv (most likely my own inability to use it).
I would come back to stay here. This is room 222, dunno what the other rooms are like.
If you like the base in NZ then this is def up with the play.
Could use a new cover on the ironing board and some of the taps in the kitchen need maintenance.

Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Base was my first hostel to stay in, in Australia...
Location was very good as everything was only a small walk away.. Staff were pretty friendly and very helpful..
The free day trips were great and great way to see the sights of the city.
Stayed in a 10 bed dorm and it was lovely and clean, only down fall would have been the kitchen but it's hard to keep it clean with so many guests not cleaning up after themselves.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I booked this hostel solely because I had an overnight layover and the airport closes. At the time, it was the best one I could get and for a single night (roughly 12 hour stay), it wasn't all that bad. The front desk staff was really friendly, even though I was checking in at almost 10 pm. My room wasn't too bad, the door stuck a bit, but it wasn't all that inconvenient. I did notice (and this is something I saw quite often in hostels on my trip) that the hostel staff did not seem to encourage guests to keep their belongings tidy because the other people in my room had stuff everywhere. For once, it would be nice to be able to quickly find the open bed and have somewhere to put my stuff without worrying about things getting jumbled. There were under the bed storage lockers, but I couldn't even see half of them, and then I couldn't find an outlet to charge my iPod for the night. The bathroom was decently clean! Overall, decent hostel that I would consider for my next trip to Sydney.

Room Tip: I slept in an 8 bed room, a bit cramped, but not that bad if you're traveling lightly.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

So this is a Base backpackers, and anyone that knows anything about hostels in OZ should know that Base are generally 'young/party' backpackers. But for those that don't know this, well now you do. People that stay here and then complain about the noise, do some research before you book a place. Whilst some nights you might get a nice peaceful sleep, i wouldn't count on getting 3 nice peaceful sleeps in a row. There is a good bar downstairs, 'Scary Canaries', the pub crawls leave from reception and sometimes end up here too, and dorm rooms are very susceptible to 'room parties'. This is why i stayed here, i wanted a party hostel and i got one. Met some great characters in my room and we all hit it off.

As for the hostel, it was quite good. Location is very good in Sydney central. Toilets were clean, bedrooms were clean, no complaints atall. Beds were also very comfy, with locker drawers underneath big enough for your backpack, very handy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo