All reviewstravel deskeast coast tripdarling harbourbunk bedsbig kitchentown hall stationshared bathroomgeorge streetopera housestraightenersroommateswoolworthscbd
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at base for a long weekend and wedding. We stayed in a double room with ensuit and we were very happy with our stay. The room was large, bright and airy with air con, a tv and a private bathroom. We were so happy with the room for the price. The location of base is fantastic, right near shopping area of CBD, china town and close to town hall train station. The only thing to keep in mind is that base is a backpackers so expect lots of travellers, a few drinken youngsters and occasional load party noises. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay that is in great location, is clean and neat.. Then base is for you! We were really glad we chose this hostel and will be back next time we visit Sydney.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Tash was amazing, yeah you, Natasha Kaminsky

Tash arranged a holiday for probabaly the pickiest customer ever and and she she pulled it off :-)

She got me seeing a hell of a lot of OZ in just 3 weeks
I'm told I've seen more of Oz that most Australians.

She got me where most back packers have never heard of
I got to Coober Pedy and Lightning Ridge for my opals and the Rock Tour and the barefoot Tour absolutley mint.

The smaller tours are defintely the best. (The Rock and barefoot one bloody brill)
Not too sure about listening to Waltzing Matida on the Kakadu one but c'est la vie. The aussies on that tour were mortified bless 'em lol
Virrtually all of mty transfers went well so all credit to her. Calypso dont pick up late at night or early morning but not to worry. .

The hostel is clean and tidy, The kitchen could be cleaner and tidier if the back packers actually cleaned their own dishes as i saw the cleaners gut the kitchen and assume they do so every night. .

Every staff member has been great and really helpful at all times
the laundry was good and never a queue
showers, clean and plenty of them
no complaints at all

Sydney is defintely the best base hostel i stayed at, too many beds in rooms at Brisbane

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Base Sydney was a nice hostel was comfy beds and under storage draws for your personal belongings. The kitchen was big, but could have been cleaned better and had more pots, pans etc.
unfortunately, I was put in a rowdy room were the people drank until 2am in the room, even though you're not allowed alcohol in the rooms, kept the light on and were very rude and disgusting towards me. Reception though was helpful and I told them the situation and they upgraded me and moved me into another room that was in the quiet side of the hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on my own and dont really have anything to complain about! i arrived about midnight and the check in process was super easy and quick. I stayed in a 6 bed sanctuary girls only room and although i wouldnt describe it as luxury it was clean tidy and the bed was pretty comfatable. Showers were nice and clean and there is enough of them that i didnt have to wait for one. Didnt use the kitchen as was not there long but there is a good lounge and tv area. The reception people that i dealt with were really helpful and knowledgable about bus times and routes etc. The hostel itself is in a great location super close to town hall station and about a 20 min walk to all the main tourist hot spots ! all in all no complaints and a good value place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was a bit skeptical staying at Base because of all the bad reviews I read previously, so I wasn't expecting much. However, the hostel is the cleanest I have ever stayed at (some times there would be dirty dishes in the kitchen, but that is up to fellow guests to clean up after themselves rather than the hostel). There are daily activities which are usually always free, and the staff that did them (such as the beach BBQ, and the harbour walk) were great (josh you were awesome!).
There is a no alcohol policy, but generally people don't stick to it - and there is a bar next door called Scary Canary's. Because of staying at Base I always had free entry and 'cheaper' full price drinks, but there was usually always a cheap drink for the night anyway.
Now on to the bad stuff - if you are staying here, ALWAYS ask for a receipt and check your bank balance if paying by card. A girl in my dorm was charged more than she should have been, and only realised when she looked at her online banking. When my boyfriend and I went to check out, we were accused of not paying for the last three days (we stayed for 3, then extended it by another 3). Apparently they couldn't find it on the system, and we couldn't leave until they found out who had served us. This wouldn't have been too much of an issue, considering we definitely did pay, but it was at 7am and the shuttle bus for the airport was waiting for us, and couldn't really wait for much longer. In the end another guy on reception just gave us our key deposit back and told us to go else we would have missed the bus, and would have had to rush to get our flight. I think the girl working could have been less accusing towards us; it was Base's fault, not ours, so it kind of put us in a bad mood, and slightly ruined what was otherwise a good experience at the hostel. If staying at Base, always ask for a receipt and check your online banking if you can before you leave.

• Stayed: March 2013