All reviewstravel deskeast coast tripdarling harbourbunk bedsbig kitchentown hall stationshared bathroomgeorge streetopera housestraightenerswoolworthscbd
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was a bit skeptical staying at Base because of all the bad reviews I read previously, so I wasn't expecting much. However, the hostel is the cleanest I have ever stayed at (some times there would be dirty dishes in the kitchen, but that is up to fellow guests to clean up after themselves rather than the hostel). There are daily activities which are usually always free, and the staff that did them (such as the beach BBQ, and the harbour walk) were great (josh you were awesome!).
There is a no alcohol policy, but generally people don't stick to it - and there is a bar next door called Scary Canary's. Because of staying at Base I always had free entry and 'cheaper' full price drinks, but there was usually always a cheap drink for the night anyway.
Now on to the bad stuff - if you are staying here, ALWAYS ask for a receipt and check your bank balance if paying by card. A girl in my dorm was charged more than she should have been, and only realised when she looked at her online banking. When my boyfriend and I went to check out, we were accused of not paying for the last three days (we stayed for 3, then extended it by another 3). Apparently they couldn't find it on the system, and we couldn't leave until they found out who had served us. This wouldn't have been too much of an issue, considering we definitely did pay, but it was at 7am and the shuttle bus for the airport was waiting for us, and couldn't really wait for much longer. In the end another guy on reception just gave us our key deposit back and told us to go else we would have missed the bus, and would have had to rush to get our flight. I think the girl working could have been less accusing towards us; it was Base's fault, not ours, so it kind of put us in a bad mood, and slightly ruined what was otherwise a good experience at the hostel. If staying at Base, always ask for a receipt and check your online banking if you can before you leave.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days and really loved it, the staff were very friendly, the kitchen was very big with plenty of pots and pans, plenty of seats to eat dinner and relax, bathrooms were big and clean with toilets and showers on every floor. Location was excellent only a 20min walk to the Harbour bridge and opera house, 15 minute walk to Sydney fish market. 10 bedded dorm was massive with plenty of space and under bed lockable lockers,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I lived i a shared six-bed room for five nights. The hostel is simple, but a perfect place to explore sydney from. The staff was nice and helped when you had a problem. The room was basic, but if you just need a place to stay it's perfect. You can't choose the people you stay with, but that is not the hostels fault. Frensh girls that couldn't behave and people you can talk to and do stuff with. That is what makes staying in a hostel interesting. Read some complains on Tropsadviser, but you should know what you might get booking a hostel in a bigger room shared with unknown people.

The bathroom was basic but clean, didn't check the kitchen.
You can get tips on activities and book tours if you want to.

Just one thing... a reading light for 10 dollar at each bed woild be nice. If you need light you have to illuminate the whole room which might disturb others.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

we didn't stay in the hostel however we did use the travel desk. We had some prices from other places, peter pans, duck travel, travel bugs and wicked and base said they would beat those prices and did. The man on the desk, Mark was helpful, friendly and to the point no over selling of things and listened to what we were saying about being cheap as possible. We bought out East Coast trip through Mark and would recommend others to see him for prices and advice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

This place is very well located, but the service and cleaning weren't good. I regret of staying in this hostel.

Bathroom was dirty everyday. Staff only answer what you asked and they didn't give me a good instructions about what to do. I discovered everything by myself.

• Stayed: February 2013