All reviewstravel deskeast coast tripdarling harbourbunk bedsbig kitchentown hall stationshared bathroomgeorge streetopera housestraightenersroommateswoolworthscbd
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Base for a week in February and we had heard mixed reviews, so came with an open mind, as we know that Hostels aren't exactly meant to be luxurious. When we arrived, we were checked in quickly and had no problems sorting the room, as we had pre booked a private double room (we had to use the communal bathrooms.) We took our luggage up in the slowest lift i have ever been in and found our room to be a bit of a mess. We tried to tidy it up as best we could, as we didn't want to cause a fuss and we went out to explore. One really positive point for this place is that the location is excellent, literally minutes from Darling Harbour and George Street, which is the main street in Sydney. When we returned, we had been shopping for some food and asked where the kitchen was so we could put it in the fridges. We headed down in the lift again and when we got to the kitchen, we saw that, while it was a decent size with ample storage, there was a pool under one of the fridges and a really bad smell that you could tell had been there a few days. Some of the pots and pans left a lot to be desired too, and nobody seemed to be following the ;'wash and put away your own pans and cutlery' rule that was plastered everywhere. We managed to find some space in the fridges, labelled our food, had something to eat and turned in for the night, as the flight had tired us out.
The bathrooms were what you would expect from a hostel really, clean enough and there was never a queue for the toilets or showers, however, a couple of the shower heads were broken when we were there, so you had to hold it over you with one hand while you washed with the other. Not ideal, but it was better than no shower!
The bed in our room was awful! It was a very ricketty bunk bed, seriously, you only had to blink and it rattled like it was an earthquake. The aircon also had a strange clicking noise going on, but we never got to the bottom of it. We spent as much time exploring as we could, so the room wasn't a huge issue during the day, but at night it was awful, as we couldn't sleep at all. The beds weren't the comfiest and there were a few times when people were coming back from the Scary Canary club next door (it does good, cheap meals and drinks and there is usually a different theme every night) that were really loud and disrespectful of people who might be sleeping. I've stayed in hostels before and people were a lot more considerate there. Maybe we were just unlucky.
Another thing we noticed is that the atmosphere there wasn't really that sociable or friendly. We were excited to meet different people, but everyone seemed to already have their little friendship groups and were quite hostile to others. We also had our food stolen from the fridges, even though it was all labelled properly. We were quite annoyed about that, as it had cost us a lot of money and we never found out who took it.
The reception crew, on the whole, were pretty helpful (Particularly Brett, who went out of his way to help us more than once, particularly when we had our food stolen from the fridges in the kitchen) but there were a couple who were quite rude when we asked for their assistance.
There was a communal area that we went in to watch the Rugby, but apart from that, we spent as much time as we could, outside the hostel exploring.
I wouldn't stay here again as i had such a bad experience myself, but i suppose your experience is what you make of it. If you stay here, just be very open minded, prepared for it to not quite be what you expect and try not to buy too much food!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I show up at 10:30 in the morning to be told that my room is not made up yet and that I have to wait another 3 hours for it to be ready. I finally come at 8:00 at night to a bed that is clearly not made up even when I was told that I would be given fresh linen and pillow cases. I go to reception to ask if they may have it made up they reply rudely: "You see I can't sympathize for you because I'm not going to make your bed. Because that's not my problem" then I ask if it can be done tomorrow. And the man at reception replies with "Well, I'm not going to come make up your bed , so...." and then proceeds to hand me linen that I myself have to put onto my bed. He tries to "sweeten" the deal with some horrid 10 year old shampoo and body wash. The rest of the staff seemed to be rather unknowing of what's going on and highly unprofessional. I will never be staying at the hostel again. I should have know it would be like this since it is a chain of hostels.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hostel is clean, great facilities. however there is a nite club next door and some of the rooms are over it - it can get very noisy. We also had staff banging on our doors at night to go to the club which seems to be owned by the backpackers -annoying and rude. We had issues with being moved around and saw reception staff who were extremely rude and unprofessional, so we spoke to the reception manager Siobhan, - she was very nice, helpful and genuine. When we came back she wasnt there so we spoke to the Hotel manager, who was an older guy and a bit of a sleaze & didnt seem very trustworthy. The atmosphere here is not group orientated, there is no feeling of belonging or friendship. The reception are not helpful or even very nice. They also charge for all the extras such as wifi, and most hostels do not. there are better hostels in sydney with better atmospheres. There were people sleeping in the rooms and corridors that did not pay for a room.

Room Tip: ask to be put in a room that is as far away from the niteclub as possible! The higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I realise this is a hostel but even so, we paid a decent amount for a private double ensuite and still weren't entirely happy. We were there for three nights and for a start were told we got "free return transfers." Not true - we had to organise a transfer at SYD airport and were then reimbursed at the front desk $15, which was not the full amount. But still, cheap transfer.

We arrived at 10am, paid the balance owing and were told our room would be ready at 2pm. When we returned at 2, the girl gave us our key and didn't even tell us what room number it was. She also tried to charge us again! But this was straightened out and we went up to our room (in the world's slowest lift).

WELL. Our room was a TIP. I've attached pictures to show what we walked into. Back downstairs we go, the girl wasn't particularly concerned and told us to leave our stuff up there and go out while they organised cleaners. Um, nope, we stayed to make sure they came, which to their credit they did.

The rest of the stay was very average. The bar downstairs is the loudest I've ever heard, and I've lived in the middle of large cities. It goes off every night - sleep is fitful as a result but again, it's a backpackers, sleep isn't a priority. The rest of the staff were indifferent (maybe because we're late 20s as opposed to backpacking younguns?). The bed was not hugely comfortable and the pillows very thin.

Good points - it is a great location, literally 5 minutes walk to Darling Harbour and close to lots of eateries. When the room was clean, it was very modern. I just think an attitude adjustment would go a long way.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank yellowtangelo
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night (my birthday!) and opted to get a private room (about $95). I can't tell you anything about the dorms, but if you're looking to splurge one night on a private room, this one will do perfectly well. And at about a third of the cost as most hotel rooms in Sydney.

The private room was huge with high ceilings and a modern king size bed. (Seriously, it was bigger than the room we stayed in at The Menzies, a very expensive Sydney hotel!) Firm but plush mattress made this birthday girl have a great sleep. There is a large en suite bathroom with shower in the room which was a wonderful surprise. A flat screen TV hangs on the wall opposite the bed and in-room air conditioning is quick to start up and cool the room down.

Early in the night you could certainly hear the bass from the club next door, but it's not nearly as loud as some roommates I've had to share dorm rooms with in the past! I didn't go to bed til 5am so the music was long gone by then and our room was silent. This hostel is just a five minute walk from one of the busiest parts of Sydney (George Street) and you wouldn't even know it once you were inside.

Great choice overall for a single night out. Front desk staff are a bit young so that might explain their demeanour or attitude at times when it's busy but overall they seemed willing to help you out if you needed it :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple