All reviews travel desk east coast trip darling harbour big kitchen bunk beds town hall station shared bathroom opera house straighteners woolworths drawers cbd
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night (my birthday!) and opted to get a private room (about $95). I can't tell you anything about the dorms, but if you're looking to splurge one night on a private room, this one will do perfectly well. And at about a third of the cost as most hotel rooms in Sydney.

The private room was huge with high ceilings and a modern king size bed. (Seriously, it was bigger than the room we stayed in at The Menzies, a very expensive Sydney hotel!) Firm but plush mattress made this birthday girl have a great sleep. There is a large en suite bathroom with shower in the room which was a wonderful surprise. A flat screen TV hangs on the wall opposite the bed and in-room air conditioning is quick to start up and cool the room down.

Early in the night you could certainly hear the bass from the club next door, but it's not nearly as loud as some roommates I've had to share dorm rooms with in the past! I didn't go to bed til 5am so the music was long gone by then and our room was silent. This hostel is just a five minute walk from one of the busiest parts of Sydney (George Street) and you wouldn't even know it once you were inside.

Great choice overall for a single night out. Front desk staff are a bit young so that might explain their demeanour or attitude at times when it's busy but overall they seemed willing to help you out if you needed it :)

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeafyPunk
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've travelled around Europe and never experienced any problems like I did in this hostel.
It really is the pits when a guy in your room brings a girl into the bed beneath you to sleep with her... I told them over my dead body will you do that but they ignored me. In the end, I had to leave the room to report them to the receptionist.
The receptionist had no sympathy whatsoever and said he wasn't getting any sleep either!!! Sure at least he was getting paid to do his job(badly, may I add!) He put a note on the computer and told me that if it happened again to come back down and speak to him... In my opinion, once is blatantly enough to annoy roommates by having absolutely no manners whatsoever to walk around the room naked and to have sex in front of another woman...
I HATED this hostel and would recommend anyone with a BASE jumping pass like me to sell it to someone else... You'll have a better time in a smaller, quieter hostel..

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for an OZ intro week package, so I did not personally choose the hostel, and it is safe to say I will not again.

There are some good points-

Location is great, right round the corner from Darling Harbor, and 2 minute walk from George Street. Kitchen is big with good amount of storage space and fridges. That's about it with the good stuff.

The rooms are ok, but felt very clinical to me. It is next to a bar/club Scary Canary, which in fairness does good cheap meals which I would recommend if you decide to take the plunge and stay here, or if you are staying nearby. They do a "get schnitzed" deal on Mondays, where you buy a drink (pint of beer etc) and can get a chicken schnitzel and fries for $5 which is really brilliant deal. Of course, if you are not a massive party person, this may bother you, it being next door. It is true, the hostel aren't always strict about their alcohol restrictions, but I suppose the staff cant be everywhere all the time.

Many of the staff are very rude and surly. One morning my friend cut her arm falling over the hostel step and when I asked the girl behind the desk that morning if they had a band aid, she said no. So i asked "there is nowhere in the building where there is a first aid kit or anything?" She tried to direct me to the 7eleven next door to buy some, but when I said my friend has cut her arm, she went into the office behind the main desk, and pulled out a row of band aids! So she lied to me. Nice(!)

There are some really nice staff there tho, really nice Canadian girl, and the supervisor we explained our issues to was nice, and there are a couple of guys that are fine.
The worst incident was when my friend and I were in a room, and at 10 in the evening, we had this group of 5 people come in the room that were booked to stay in it. We were only in a 6 bed dorm so there had obviously been some sort of mix up. They went back to reception to find out, and the guy came back up to see what had happened. He pointed at my friend and said she wasn't supposed to be in here. My friend had sorted it out at reception and whoever served her had supposedly noted it down on the computer system. Apparently she hadn't, as there was no record of it. He went to see if something could be sorted. He came back up and said my friend would have to move out and go in another room. She said she would refuse to move, as it wasnt her fault the hostel had messed up. He then said "I'm trying everything I can to help you, I even went back downstairs to see if I could find you another room, WHICH I DIDNT HAVE TO DO." How rude is that!? He said it wasnt fair for him to split the group of 5 up, yet he was perfectly fine to split me and my friend up, just a 2! In the end the group of 5 offered to split themselves up which was so, so kind, and we were so lucky they were so lovely and understanding. When I went down to reception to try and sort it out before, the same guy was behind the desk, and as he sat down he said, " oh mi god, we're going to get so many complaints tomorrow." Very, very unprofessional.

It is true, they do like to charge you to store your bags, which is absolutely disgusting; I have not been to ANY other hostel that does this! But I explained our issues we had had with our stay and refused to pay for that when we had such a bad experience, so the girl on that day let us store them free of charge which I appreciated.

I have never been happier to leave a hostel.

1  Thank travelgal187
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I ended up staying in this hostel for a month in the Sanctuary dorm. For paying extra for the all girls dorm you didn't really get anything to make it worth while. We were promised free drinks, towels and a pamper pack on arrival and ended up having to ask for it. The key cards run out every few days (a little embarrassing when you get locked out at 3am in your pyjamas) and the kitchen flooded twice when we were there. The lift also broke three times which wasn't ideal.

All of that considered, we had a brilliant time at Base, we made lots of friends and the atmosphere was great. The staff were really helpful when it came to sorting out tax file numbers/bank accounts and Aussie phone numbers, but apart from that they were useless. Especially the grumpy blonde we had to share a room with, one of the rudest people I've ever met.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

The location from the hostel is perfect.
The bathroom is very clean in the afternoon at 2pm after cleaning!! In the evening and morning it's often dirty.
So I slept in the Sanctuary and I don't know on what the price for a room depends but I met a girl she paid 26$ for a 8 female dorm, another girl paid 28$ for a 4 female dorm. Other girls paid 35$, so the prices are between 26-35$ a night, you must have luck to get it cheap!!
It's also a party-hostel and also in the sanctuary are girls which make party till 5 am and no one do something against it, so you pay 35$ for a night without sleep.
You can also hear the bar which is downstairs very loud!
Also it's possible that you booked a complete week in one room, but you have to move to another room 3 times, that means you have to check out at 10am for check-in in the other room at 2pm. So you have to pack all you stuff and bring it downstairs to the luggageroom, so you have no room for 4 hours and a lot of wasted time!
If you booked more than one night for example a week and you have to cancel one week you get no money back, only a voucher which you can take in whole australia.
I booked a female dorm for a week, in this week I had to move 2 times and for 1 night I got a mixed dorm. So I went to the reception and explained them that I paid 35$ for a female dorm and now I have a mixed dorm, they told me that they could do nothing and I have to sleep for this night in a mixed dorm.
The Base-travel-service and job-desk downstairs is good!
The kitchen is often dirty and there is only a old sponge.
The fridge is full of old food which people left as they moved to another place.
So no one cleans this fridge, and for the size of the hostel they need another fridge!!

So if you want perfect service, a clean bathroom and dorm, a clean kitchen then take Bounce-Hostel next to Cental station and not Base-Hostel!!

1  Thank Nidddder