All reviewstravel deskeast coast tripdarling harbourbunk bedsbig kitchentown hall stationshared bathroomgeorge streetopera housestraightenersroommateswoolworthscbd
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I must say I have stayed in a lots of hostels all over Australia and Sydney and this is by far the best hostel I have ever stay in the staff was fantastic and April was amazing very very helpful, the rooms where fantastic and very comfortable and very modern.Only downfall was I was in room 117 which is next door to the nightclub which was very noisy. But over all I would highly recommend.
The hostel is walking difference to everything bars nightclub next door Darling harbour George street and Sydney opera house all quiet close by.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Convenient location and the rooms are Well- maintained. The staff are warm and friendly and will offer advices and tips and areas to tour.
The hostel also offer Girl's Sanctuary Room which is a cool and safe idea for solo trip.
The pricing is affordable.
Overall journey is enjoyable.
There are many activities the hostel hosted which I believe will be fun if I have more time to tour around and enjoy.

Room Tip: Read the review of the others before deciding if it is good. Alternatives Sophie HostelBookers can provide the range of hostels to choose from.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Janet_Peh
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I arrived in the NYE and the place was really crowded like everywhere in the city. I stayed in a room with other 5 people and had no problems. The locker in the room is really big and you can put lots of things in there. The hostel is very clean and has a good kitchen where you can store your food. Good service at the desk, and lots of events going on. They are in the center of the city, and it's pretty close to almost everything. Sometimes people get noisy in other rooms and/or hallway.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Evelyn O
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I'm writing my review based on my second stay at Base Sydney, the first time I stayed in 2011 was great..the staff were friendly and helpful when my friend and I wished to change rooms into the female-only Sanctuary as the room we were assigned to was full of messy boys and it was no trouble for them to change our room.

However, my second stay was much worse. Obviously standards in customer service had dropped. I planned a girls weekend away in Sydney for a friends 21st with two other friends and booked Base because I had such a good time last time. Upon checking in, the extremely rude blonde british girl at the desk informed me that as the hostel was busy this weekend they could not put the three of us in the same room and instead we were put in 3 separate rooms on separate floors. I asked her why this was as I had booked the three of us under the same booking and she just said 'yeah honey, there isnt a guarantee that you'll be put together, its in the terms and conditions'. I read the terms and conditions and did not see such a clause anywhere, had I have known this would have occured I would not have booked Base in the first place! Both her condescending, nasty manner and the fact that we were all separated basically ruined my friends birthday and I felt terrible for her as I had booked this place and told her that it was an awesome place to stay only to be screwed around by rude staff. We even tried to book another hostel we were that angry.

anyway, there was a spare bed in my friends room (although the reception girl said everything was booked?!) so I crashed there instead (the following night I crashed in another spare bed in my other friends room, never slept in the bed i was meant to, jokes on you base) and the following day I noticed that another person was checking out of the room so I told the guy at reception that we had all been split up and there were two free beds in my friends room and i politely asked if the three of us could be rearranged to be put together, i even offered to pay for any fees for the room change. this guy was lovely and understanding of our situation and was trying to help until another horrible, surly looking female staff member came over and saw what he was doing and told him and us that it couldnt be done as other people would be moving into those beds, which made NO sense as they could just move into our old rooms that we were leaving.

the only good thing about base is its location, but the rudeness of the staff and the pathetic customer service brings it down so much, which is a shame because the first time I stayed the staff were lovely. their new staff are horrible and every other review I have read has had negative feedback on their staff. I dont expect much from a hostel but putting three people who had booked together in separate rooms is a joke! because of this I wont be staying at any base hostels again.

Room Tip: dont make any group bookings, they will separate you.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ally_tenace
Reviewed November 5, 2012

i have stayed in many base Hostels down the east coast but this Base was by far the worst experience i have had.
Firstly the reception are un-organised, unhelpful and rude. You can not check in until 2pm which i such an inappropriate time messing up your whole day especially after being on Grey hound coach over night. When we asked at 8am if we could be in the same room as our friends knowing that no-one can check in till 2pm they took about 20 minutes to tell me no which every other hostel has been able to do with a click of a button.
Then when we left our bags in storage which took another 20 minutes we went off to get showered and while we were the cleaning Man came into the female toilets and began cleaning the toilets and showers that weren't being used.
I heard many stories from other guests who had problems with the reception staff which just proved how terrible the service was.
when were were finally leaving the hostel it was 1pm and shower rooms were disgusting i didn't even want to shower the bin was all over the floor, every shower room was full of hair and the sinks had tissue and all sort all over the place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends