“Good location in Sydney”
Review of Eva's Backpackers

Eva's Backpackers
Ranked #21 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hostel is a nice hostel, by Sydney standards. Our double room was nice and clean, but small. The bathrooms are fantastic, really clean, modern and spacious and there are loads of them so you are rarely waiting to have a shower.

The kitchen on the other hand is tiny. If there are two people cooking there, you will have to wait as there is no space. There is also very limited fridge space aswell. All this makes it difficult to cook your own food. We found ourselves eating out alot as it was easier than trying to squeeze into the kitchen.

The other problem with this place is the internet. There is free wi-fi, but it would be better off if they just got good quality internet that the guest could pay for, like Global Gossip etc. There was never any signal upstairs and even when you sit in the communal area there was barely any signal. Unfortunately we ended up having to inconvenience ourselves and leave the hostel to find an internet cafe so we could book flights etc. Also, the internet connection is turned off at 11pm, which doesn't really make alot of sense.

The location is very good, right beside King's Cross station so that is a plus.

If you do not expect to cook very often or use the internet, this is a nice place to stay as the rooms and bathrooms are clean and the location is very good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Moved here after a nightmare time at Sydney Central Backpackers next door (read my review - e.g. vomit in only toilet)
We were told that this was a very different kind of backpackers (thank god) and that a lot of people moved over here from Sydney Central Backpackers.
Our double room was 80 dollars (15 more than next door) but we felt it was worth it.
The hostel was quieter, more relaxed. The clientele seemed slightly older, more travellers and workers than drunk 18 year olds.
Room was average but clean and had a safe . But bathrooms, 3 on our floor, were amazing. I've stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels through my father and work and I have to say they were better than a lot of their bathrooms.
Black and white tiled floor. Brand new fixtures. Tons of room for shower, toilet, sink with mirror. Pristine.
HIghly recommended. Would have been 5 stars if the room was less bland.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DocMarkL
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed in a private double for almost a week in March, and we really enjoyed it. The hostel has a lot of charm, and is decorated really well. We got a special rate since we booked for a week, and it was cheaper than many of the hostels we stayed at down the coast.

Pros - Rooms were well equipped, fully opening window with a fan, a desk, and a dresser.
- Location! Kings Cross was definitely not the grot hole we were told it was and we were a short walk from a large grocery store, restaurants, train stop, and all kinds of shopping.
- Kitchen was well equipped, it wasn't very large but we always found room at the right hours. There was also a handful of spices and condiments available for use.
- Bathrooms were fantastic, up to four on each floor each with a shower and toilet.

Cons - They advertise free internet, but it's SO SLOW that it's nearly impossible to use.
- There is no real lounge area, it's one couch in a hallway and every time we passed there was staff sitting on them.
- It's a busy area and we had a street facing room, it was very loud at night, a room at the other end of the hostel would have been quieter I imagine.

Despite our few gripes, we very much enjoyed our stay here and if we stayed in Sydney again we would stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the street side will be quieter. We had looking over the front entrance and it was lo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed April 5, 2012

In the two times I have visited Sydney over the years I have stayed in Eva's. Great place, great atmosphere and good location. Basic but clean and friendly. When I am back at Sydney I will stay again. Love the roof terrace!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2012

If you are looking for a quiet and safe place to stay at King's Cross, this is the place to be!!

Eva's was the very first hostel ive stayed at in Oz and was a little apprehensive...I arrived early in the morning and was told that the room is not quite ready (understandable) but im more than welcome to have coffee or tea (free) while i wait...or check my email (wifi, also free) or if i like, i can join a free walking tour of Sydney...I havent even checked in and yet Liz, the manager, already made me feel taken cared of!

I booked an all female dorm room (for secutiry reasons as i was traveling alone) and was surprised to see a boy in the room hanging out with the girls...it also looked like the girls have been staying there awhile since most of the space (even in the bathroom) was overtaken by their stuff...there was an empty locker, i figured that was mine, so i left my pack there and sat outside where the tv was and contemplated on whether to stay or move to another room or another hostel all together...Liz happened to see me and probably sensed my agitation that she asked if everything was all right...told her about the boy in the room and immediately took action about it...

In the end, i decided to ask to be moved to another room (didnt want any trouble from the girls, obviously)...the only other room available within my budget was a mixed dorm...but at the moment theres only one girl in it...so i took it without hesitation...BEST decision ever!!

enough with the dear diary entry...and on to the real review... :)

*The dorm was on the second floor (you need a passcode to get to the rooms...a security plus!!)...
*The room where i stayed was definitely big enough for 4 people...There was a huge locker for your pack/valuables (you need your own padlock...especially if you dont trust the peeps sharing the room with...i got lucky coz i had the best roommates ever!)...
*The shared bathroom was huge and clean...(Carmen cleaned it everyday!)...i think there were 3 other bathrooms around on the same floor..so no queues...tp and bathsoap is also provided...
*Clean sheets, blankets, towels are provided
*Roof top (with a view of the "golden bucket"..and colorful exotic birds flying around) was perfect, if youre done sightseeing and just want to read a book or have a pint with your friends (opens at 8am and i think they lock the door at 10 or 11pm for security purposes)
*Kitchen is always clean (most of the people that were staying there at the time were really good at cleaning up after themselves)
*Staff is always willing to help or chat and always smiling...and they know you by name!!
*The location is away from the noise of Kings Cross but close enough to get to where the action is...KC train station is a few minutes walk away...actually everything is a few minutes walk away (if you like walking, that is :) )
*Wifi isnt all that great but i really didnt mind, i didnt go to Oz to be online anyway ;)

So, all in all, i had a lovely stay at Eva's that i decided to come back and stay with them again before i went back home (Liz put me in the same dorm room, which made me smile and feel safe all over again!)

Big shout out to Liz, Sara, Tamara and Carmen!!! :)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I stayed at Eva's my first days in Australia. After a looooong flight from Copenhagen I was a bit worried about staying in a dorm with five other female guests, but it was no problem at all. We also had a private bathroom to share and I never I had to wait my turn. Inside the room there were also big lockers to keep your valuables or other stuff - bring your own lock and you can leave the room feeling safe. A nice detail is that you have a small shelf next to your bed and your private bed light, so no need to disturb your room mates.

Being close to Kings cross this place is not quiet on a Friday/Saturday night and there is some traffic that can be disturbing, but nothing that a couple of earplugs wont fix :) The good side is that it is more or less walking distance to everything in Sydney, or you are close to good public transport. The people at Evas were very helpful and fast to give you all the advice you could need.

But the absolute best part was the nice and very clean kitchen that you are welcome to use. Of course it does get a bit crowded in the storage areas but nothing that I couldn't live with.

Evas also has a nice rooftop were you can watch the skyline and fruit bats flying over your head at night time.

My only complain is that they need to update their internet connection (it is for free :) It was a struggle to get connected the first time (I had to go through some papers and change some settings on my own computer, and get some help from other guests) and it was also very slow.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Enjoyed my week in this bp in a small and quiet street in Kingscross. Kitchen is well equipped and cleaned daily. Bathrooms are a heaven for bp standards. Room had even AC, was quiet and nice. Although a few cockcroaches were sighted durig that week. One even fell into my neighbours ear one night.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo