“private and memorable wine country experience”
Review of Wine Country Tours

Wine Country Tours
Ranked #3 of 90 Food & Drink in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Your host is Richard Everett, the only Oenologist (or winemaker) conducting a small group or private wine tour of the Hunter Valley Wine Country. His guests get a unique behind the scenes insight into how the best wines of the Hunter Valley are made, with private guided tastings of the top wines at the best & most interesting of the 140+ wineries. Richard conducts the wine tastings, not the sales staff at the wineries, so you are spared the heavy sales pitch of their commercial wines & get to experience many wines not offered to the general public. Morning tea is at the famous Peppers Guesthouse & lunch is at the award winning Muse Cafe. Tours are available ex Sydney or from within the Hunter Valley.
Singapore, Singapore
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“private and memorable wine country experience”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Before taking off to a trip to Sydney with my girlfriend, we were searching for a wine country tour that is private (not commercial), and a host who is knowledgeable about wine making. Since we were traveling with just two of us, we were also concerned about minimum number of people which was required. After contacting Richard at Wine Country Tours, he got back to us promptly and kindly arranged the tour for us. From how it was arranged at the beginning to the end of our journey, Richard has shared his full of knowledge of wine, took us to authentic wineries, and cozy restaurant. Our wine country experience was fulfilled by his passion for wine and his personalized tour.

Visited May 2012

London, United Kingdom
“In-depth tour”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Richard's tour gives you an in-depth understanding of both the wines of the Hunter Valley and the wine industry. It really is a question of getting out of it what you put in as Richard is very knowledgeable and happy to talk about all aspects of his extensive experience in the industry. It's true that you don't visit a great number of vineyards but he does showcase a range of different styles and maturities of wine and demonstrate that each has their place. The tour is probably best suited to those with existing interest and some knowledge of wine, although I'm sure Richard adapts it to suit the group.

Hong Kong
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great experience”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I picked this tour based on some of the reviews I read and hence my expectations were quite high.

It started with very prompt response to my email sent and I felt that Richard (the guide) was very focused on providing a great customer experience.

Richard impressed me as very knowledgeable about wine. He also explained a lot about wine making in a very friendly and simple way. The way he conducts the wine tasting with a lot of comparison allows me to really understand the differences between the wines that I have tasted.

Not only is Richard being knowledgeable about wine, he is also very friendly and can chat about many different topics.

We only visited 2 wineries but did it in a very relaxed manner and had a nice lunch at the Muse restaurant. My wife and I were expecting a day to relax so the tour met our needs. We prefer this kind of arrangement instead of the typical tours where we may visit more wineries but in a rushed manner.

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wine Tasting in the Winter”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My family and I went on the wine tour earlier this week with Richard. He is extremely knowledgeable about the the wine business and also on the subject on wine. You can definitely feel his passion for it. On top of that, he is also rather witty and fun to be around. The day started off at a lovely lounge where Richard shared personal stories with us and gave us much insight about the wine business. Lunch at Muse was also great, both the food and service. Also, there was absolutely no pressure to purchase the wine, so it doesn't feel like a sales pitch. But of course, we brought home a couple of bottles. How could we not? ^^
Overall, it was a great day trip. If you are looking for a wine tour in the Hunter Valley area, Richard is definitely your guy!

1 Thank Christopher N
melbourne, australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Most impressed”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I joined the small group tour and found this to be of high calibre. The emphasis is on learning about wine and its appreciation in a friendly, non-intimidating atmosphere. Richard (the operator) has spent many years working in the wine industry and this is evident from the depth and breadth of his knowledge. He is also passionate about his work, engaging with all members of the group thus ensuring there is never a dull moment during the day.
I have been on several wine tours throughout Australia and to date, this is the best. If you are interested in wine, this is a rare opportunity to get a behind the scenes tour of the wine-making process, as well as a lesson in the art of wine-tasting. Many tours simply bring visitors to a number of cellardoors where arguably a lot of wine gets tasted but without sound guidance, the palate becomes confused and the whole process is akind to a pub-crawl.
I would not hesitate to repeat this tour should opportunity arise.