“A favourite place to stay in Sydney”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #56 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne
“A favourite place to stay in Sydney”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Sofitel over several years and it continues to provide great, understated service and some of the best beds I have slept in. The staff are consistently welcoming. Rooms can vary in size and quality. The TV is on the small side. They care about their customers and will try to address problems that inevitably arise. I would also recommend the Radisson.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Bonjour,

Many thanks for sharing your comments about our Hotel. I am truly delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel and that are staff were able to be of assistance to you. It is through positive comments such as yours that our staff are encouraged to continue striving to provide a level of service that exceeds our guests’ expectations.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here in October 2013 for 3 nights. We paid for the Exec Club rooms and we had a suite which was very pleasant. Along with our 5 year old daughter, we really liked the hotel and attempted to book our return trip there in December. Unfortunately 1 night we wanted was booked so we will be trying the Pullman for the first time.

The service was excellent, the staff pleasant and the place clean and quiet.

Well Done Sofitel - we will be back again and again - as long as the rates are reasonable!

Room Tip: No Swimming pool and not really a kids activities place but if you are lucky to have a child who int...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. I am truly delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our Club Sofitel offering, which is certainly something that we are very proud of. At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth we constantly aim to deliver a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations and I am delighted that our location, product and services afforded you a memorable stay.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed here over the Melbourne Cup long weekend and had a very nice time. We were upgraded to a larger room on the 16th floor away from the lifts. Lots of comfortable features in the room but really enjoyed having a Nespresso coffee machine in the room. Only down side was that only small coffee cups were provided, no mugs to use to make a cup of tea.
Found the meal (Barramundi) at the Garden Court restaurant a little too rich. Breakfast was nice. Complimentary drink in the Soirée bar was good and had a nice lunch there one day as well.
Picked up a book for 3 pay for 2 offer through Accor Advantage Plus which helped with the cost.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the Nespresso machine. 6 capsule provided with 2 being decaffeinated.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience and that you found the Hotel’s location convenient for the purpose of your visit.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth again in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at hotel foyer and slapped with a $150 parking fee for a 3 day stay isn't exactly what you call a warm welcoming.
No news paper was delivered to our room as promised.
Free Wifi means, 30min only in lobby area
King size bed, means two king size singles pushed together

5 Star misleading.......

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark W
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. We appreciate your feedback and respect your comments.

Unfortunately the Hotel does not own or manage the carpark and the discounted parking that we receive for guests utilizing the carpark is passed on in its entirety. The carpark is suggested to our guests for their convenience however we do not have any control over the pricing.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth again in the future.

Cairns
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Hello, I am a seasoned traveller, and have enjoyed accomodationof all standards around the world for what they are , in the context and parameters of where they are. I can accept rough around the edges service if that is the context of where I am staying.
The Sofitel wentworth Sydney is held out to be a quality, 5 star hotel.It is a top end hotel in a first world city.
Its recpetion and concierge staff are excellent and crete an atmosphere of excellence and welcome.
the rooms feel a little aged but are all in very good condition and very comfortable. The beds are very good.
The problem for me though was with the service.
I am not one to expect or demand serviece, but competance is not an unreasonable expectation when you are paying $300 odd per night,
I checked in for 3 days.
First day was fine, except for a noisey neighbour, but I cannot hold the hotel responsible for that.
Second day, I went for a nap at lunchtime, to be woken at 2.30 pm by a room attendant asking if the room had been serviced ( it had before 10 am that day).
3rd day the same interruption- surely if they have serviced the room in the morning they dont need to send another person in the afternoon to see if it was done?

The clincher though was the lobby bar.
On a mid week night, they were open to the public, had some delightful live music, and there was a good crowd in the bar at 11pm as our conference dinner finished.
There were at that time 8 people behind the bar, but of them only two were serving. Of those two, it appeared one was in training as he seemed to need assistance before any keystroke on the till or serving any drink.
The crowd was qued 5 deep at the bar, and ( I had time to observe) the bar staff took up to 11 minutes to take payment for a single order.
In 1 hour the bar staff served 5 customers, and were surly and unpleasant to deal with.
I am in my own business.
Its fundamental in business, that when you have customers who want to part with their money, dont get in the way. This bar staff seemed absoluteley indifferent to whether any customer was served.
The only reason the crowd at the bar cleared was because people went home rather than wait the 1 hour plus to get served by indifferent, uncaring barstaff.

I am not speaking from a position of ignorance- I have managed club and hotel bars around the world for many decades, and this bar is the slowest, most incompetant have seen.
And after waiting 1+ hours to ge served two beers and two wines,to be charged $50+ was beyond the pale.

I will never come back here, and will actively encourage others away.
I will ensure my colleagues planning a conference in Sydney do not consider this hotel.It does not have a professional attitude to customer service.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank peter a
Bonjour,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I am disappointed that your experience did not live up to your, and our, expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay and invite you to contact me on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com or 02 9228 9188 so that we can focus our attention on improving our offering for future guests.

Thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth soon.