“Almost a disaster”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #65 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed June 14, 2013

One of the main reasons for choosing the Sofitel was the reputation of the Garden Court restaurant. Our stay coincided with the last night of the Sydney Vivid display so we decided to investigate this before dinner. Unfortunately we were given an incorrect closing time for the restaurant and so arrived just after it had closed at 9pm. We also found that the Soiree bar was also about to close. Initially we were told by the desk staff that the only alternative was either room service or to find another restaurant. We were not impressed. It looked like our night had become a disaster.

However when the Soiree bar manager discovered our predicament, instead of simply telling us that everything was closed, he arranged for our preferred restaurant meals to be cooked for us, and we were able to select wines from the bar. As the bar would be closed by this time the meals were ready, he arranged for a table to be set for us in the library.

As a result of the initiative of the bar manager, what was fast becoming a disaster was turned into a memorable evening with excellent food, wines and food and wine service - all in all, a five star effort from that manager!

As far as other aspects:
- room was adequate but a little on the small side with no obvious place for two people to have a meal
- bed was very comfortable
- location is excellent being within easy walking distance to Circular Key, city shops, etc
- car parking seemed expensive but not by comparison for the location

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank brent s
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback and please accept our honest apologies for your recent restaurant experience at our hotel. This issue you have highlighted are certainly something that I will be addressing with our management team. I however am glad to read that our Soiree Bar Manager was able to accommodate your needs accordingly to live up your expectation.

Thank you again for your constructive comments which will allow us to constantly improve our product and service. I sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Sofitel for a girls weekend. Complimentary drinks on arrival were great. However it went downhill from there. Ran out of toilet paper, received poor instructions from concierge (not locals), charged an extra $60 for parking a car. I queried this as I did NOT have a car!! Double charged my credit card that I had to deal with rectifying. Told by reception that it happens "all the time, we will fax your bank" really? All the time?? Don't think it is 5 star and won't be back. Oh and the room near ours obviously had room service as their dirty dishes remained outside their room for hours.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Nadiaidan_81

I was disappointed to read your comments and sincerely apologise that your Sofitel experience did not meet your expectations. At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth we aim to provide a level of service that exceeds the expectations of our guests and I am disappointed that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver.

Your comments have certainly raised a number of areas of concern that I have addressed with each relevant department head to ensure to prevent future occurrence.

I again am sincerely sorry for your experience and would like to invite you to contact me on H3665-GM02@sofitel.com should you choose to stay with us again as I do hope you could give us another opportunity to serve you better in near future.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth with my partner in June 2013. From the minute we arrived we received perfect service, our check in was very quick and they were very attentive to our needs. We were upgraded due to our Accor membership and were also given a beautiful box of chocolates and welcome drink in the bar which was totally unexpected but very much appreciated.

The hotel is beautiful and at night the entire lobby/reception area is lit with candles, our room was great and the beds are super comfy. We forgot one toothbrush and called housekeeping and within minutes they brought us a couple of spares with medium tubes of colgate toothpaste, not the gross tiny packets you normally get from hotels.

Breakfast was pretty expensive $40 per person but with our Accor membership we get 50%. I guess for a 5 star hotel and a beautiful breakfast you would expect to pay a little more.

Overall we had a great stay and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristy H

I sincerely thank you for your lovely comments and for taking the time to share your feedback. It gives us great pleasure to know that our guest’s have thoroughly enjoyed their stay with us. Our team constantly strives to provide the best service and hospitality possible and I am delighted that you have enjoyed your Sofitel experience.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

For a 5 star hotel, your bar and food service staff need to left their game. Waiting 25 minutes for pancakes at breakfast isn't acceptable. Bar staff that can't pour wine and then don't come back to clean up the spillage is also not acceptable. Having a free cocktail promotion on FaceBook and then not informing staff is also embarrassing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your comments and honest feedback. Your comments regarding our food and beverage service, in particular your experience at breakfast as well as at the Soiree Bar have been taken on board and addressed with the relevant managers and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel to enjoy a truly magnifique stay.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to continually strive to improve our products to deliver the ultimate guest experience.

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Front desk refused my partner another key, when his wasnt working. Treated like a second class citizen as well as a homophobic attitude. For Sydney this is not good and would not expect it. Disappointing to say the least. Same sex couples please avoid.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Michael C
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. I believe that our General Manager may have already contacted you on this matter.

Again, thank you for your valued feedback, and I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the future.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had an excellent one night stay to enjoy the Vivid festival and Concert at the Opera House, all within easy walking distance from the hotel. Staff were very welcoming and professional. Room was well appointed, a wonderfully comfortable bed made for a great nights sleep. A short walk to the Botanic Gardens the following morning. A memorable experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

It was most pleasing to read your review and I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am most pleased that the location was convenient for you and that you found the services from our team were professional which made your stay memorable. I will certainly ensure that your feedback is passed on to them.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I found the hotel to be very nice however I felt the rooms were a little small.
Warning in regards to the in room coffee - $7.00 per coffee pod is ridiculous
The cost is not mentioned in the mini bar price list - you have to read the folder to find the cost which was too late for me.
Front of house staff were very friendly & attentive - parking staff were not so attentive
Overall the experience was pleasant but not overwhelming

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cherriipark

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at our Hotel.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the charges for the coffee. In Room Dining Menu is different from the Minibar one, and coffee from the Minibar is certainly complimentary. I am sorry that it was not clearly explained to you.

Also as the Car Park is not owned or operated by Sofitel, we have been made aware of some shortfalls in the service offered and we are working closely with the car park management to rectify this.

Comments such as yours allow us to constantly improve our product and inspire us to continue striving to exceed our guest’s expectations. I again thank you for it, and look forward to have another opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth for the truly manifique stay.