“Very average stay”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #69 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were looking forward to staying at the Sofitel as we had wonderful experiences with the Sofitel in Collins Street, Melbourne. When we arrived we were put into a room with two single beds when we had made a booking for a kind sized bed. Not a major problem as they put the two beds together and re-made the bed, but perhaps symptomatic of a lack of attention to detail. Overall the rooms were on the small side, though they were adequately furnished. Staff were pleasant, but overall I feel that it was a very average stay and that I would choose to stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Go for breakfast across the road on the Chifley Plaza for breakfast during the week- good coffee and...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent Sofitel experience.

I sincerely apologise for the experience your encountered and there is no excuse for anything less than exceptional service. At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, we pride ourselves on exceeding our guest’s expectations and it is clear that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver.

Again, thank you for your feedback; and I do hope that one day we may welcome you back.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,758)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed there in December 2012, which was a quiet time of year for the hotel. Thankfully the staff were still on top of their game and we had top class service from the moment we were greeted at the door. I loved the French touches to the service as well (Bonjour, Merci, etc).

First impressions, everything was clean, staff at hand to assist and always with a smile, and the checkin went very smoothly.

As the hotel was quite empty we were offered a free upgrade on our room, which was an absolute delight! The room was everything we could want- clean, spacious, everything in working order. As for the bed... I could almost write an entire review on it! I don't typically like soft matresses, however I have NEVER slept so well in my life! It just seemed to hug me and wrap me up, not like any other bed I have slept in before. This bed is worth it, if nothing else!

We had breakfast in the restaurant each morning, which also had a lovely French decor. Even though there weren't many staying in the hotel all the food was still on offer and was fresh and tasty. They have the full range of fruits, cereals, hot buffet, pastries, etc. They also make coffee on request- something not all hotels do, but should.

The location is also very handy. It took about 5minutes to get to Martin Place train station and about 10minutes to get to Circular Quay. 10minutes to walk to Pitt St Mall, and probably about the same to get to the Opera House. So long as the weather is pleasant then you wouldn't want to be staying anywhere else!!

Hands down, this is the best hotel I have stayed at in a long time. 5 stars, worth every one of them!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters, all the beds are amazing! Not much of a view from either side really s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

I am most pleased that you were afforded a comfortable and enjoyable Sofitel experience.

At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, we aim to provide a level of service that exceeds our guests’ expectations and to this extent, I was delighted to read your comments.

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed our Sofitel ‘My Bed’, which are a feature of all Sofitel Hotels as well as the breakfast in our Garden Court Restaurant.

Thank you again for taking the time to write; we look forward to welcoming you back for another positive experience.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in end of March and early April. The decor etc is not great but the Location is absolutely superb. You come out of the hotel and take left and walk for 5 mins you are at Opera House and Harbour bridge if you take right and walk for 5 mins your at the central shopping place (Market street and Elizabeth street). If you walk for 5 mins more your then at Darling Harbour. So full marks for location but on all rest counts the Hotel is pretty average. We also got a free welcome drink on arrival which was was a good gesture by the hotel. The staff is pretty warm and friendly and happily assist you to resolve any problems.

DO NOT take the Airport Link train to reach this hotel. Though circular quay stop is 5 mins from the hotel, the Hotel is on a steep slope. I dragged about 40 kgs of luggage over the steep slope and was clearly out of breath when I reached the hotel. Unless your fitness freek avoid the climb. From the Hotel to Airport on a Weekday morning it cost us about 42 AUD.

I may try an another hotel next time I am in Sydney.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I was most pleased to read your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience.

Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

The Hotel certainly is centrally located and I am glad that this was convenient for your needs.

Again; thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love this hotel. Admitedly it is a little more expensive, but I feel important when I stay here. The staff are just lovely and the beds...... I just feel like I am wrapped up in a big marshmallow ! If you can spring for the extra, go for the club sofitel access, it is soo good ! I am looking for excuses to go back again and again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

It was most pleasing to read your review and I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay.

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed our Sofitel ‘My Bed’, which are a feature of all Sofitel Hotels as well as our Club Sofitel Lounge which is a product that we are very proud of.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Wentworth (Sofitel) is a good place to stay in Sydney: not too far from the centre of the city. The rooms in the hotel are nicely appointed and the hotel is always filled with fresh flowers and interesting displays. The rooms are not particularly large, but are well laid out. The Wentworth's comparator would be the Radisson. The difference between the two (that I have observed) is that the equivalent priced rooms are smaller in the Sofitel. The staff are well-trained, but often have problems beyond their authority and this can lead to waits on check-in and check-out. There are often queues and several airlines (Emirates etc) use Sofitel for overnight stays for their staff.

Room Tip: There are examples of the rooms on the Sofitel website. If you have an accor card you are likely to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CateDempsey

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

It is wonderful to read that our location is suitable for your needs and that the hotel foyer is of memory for you.

I will certainly share your comments regarding the delays you experience during check in and out with our Front Office Manager to investigate why this is the case.

Once again; thank you for taking the time to write; it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Sofitel many times for business and leisure. I'm glad they've renovated the bar/lounge on the ground floor as it now looks very inviting and I found the ambience pleasant whilst enjoying a drink. The rooms are always comfortable however I'd like to see the water pressure in the shower fixed so it feels like you're actually having a shower. Every room I've stayed at here has the same issue. However one thing I love about this hotel are the beds! I've stayed at many hotels around the country and the world and I can honestly say the beds at this hotel are the most comfiest bed I've slept on. You are always guaranteed a perfect night's sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay; in particular the Sofitel My Beds; and I will certainly be passing your feedback onto our Chief Engineer to investigate the water pressure.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location, beds, service and food were all awesome. There were no complaints from me or my colleagues. We also held a function and this ran seamlessly as well. Thanks to all the staff. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to share you lovely comments.

I am most pleased that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience and that your stay lived up to your expectations.

It is also wonderful to read that your conference was enjoyed and ran smoothly also.

Thank you again for taking the time to write; I hope we can welcome you back again soon.