“A great stay”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #66 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We prefer the Sofitel Sydney over any other hotel in the CBD. It has a perfect combination of comfort and welcoming, friendly staff together with a great location. Easy parking and walking to most venues, great food and Claude in the restaurant in the evening is the number 1 ambassador for this lovely hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Many thanks for sharing your comments about our Hotel.

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel and that are staff were able to be of assistance to you. We are very lucky to have Claude as part of our team and I will be sure to pass on your lovely words.

It is through positive comments such as yours that our staff are encouraged to continue striving to provide a level of service that exceeds our guests’ expectations.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

While the building is a little tired, the rooms are quite luxurious. The ambience in the foyer is excellent and the usual classic Softiel fragrances greet you on entry. The beds are quite excellent and facilities well and truly up to scratch. Hotel is a couple of minutes walk to Circular Quay and a block from the State Library, State Parliament and Botanic gardens

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I was most pleased to read your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience.

Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

The Hotel certainly is centrally located and I am glad that this was convenient for your needs.
I am also pleased that you enjoyed you Sofitel ‘My Bed’ experience. The ‘My Bed’ is a feature of all Sofitel Luxury Hotels and enjoyed by many around the world.

Again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Started our vacation in Sydney for 3 days before the cruise. Short walk to catch the hop on/off bus. Great staff and very helpful at the concier desk. took an all day trip into the blue mountains. Very busy area and good shops across the street. Best kept secret is the restaurant on the back street _Wo

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

It was with great pleasure that I read your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience.

It is always lovely to read that our location is advantageous to our guests. I will be certain to pass on your comments to our team, especially the Concierge as I know that your feedback with serve as positive encouragement as they continue to strive to provide a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations.

Thank you again for taking the time to write; we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here again for business. Room was nicely decorated and functional. The only thing is there is no toothbrush and tooth paste so I had to go find a convenience store nearby to buy. But note that this is common in most hotels in Sydney though, at least at those that I have stayed. Hotel location is on Phillips street - a small street, next to ANZ bank and near to a museum (art museum if I remember correctly). It's around max 10 minutes walking to Circular Quay. I checked in on a Sunday and walked to the The Rocks market near the Opera House. It's where people sell food, jewellry, artworks etc. It's a fun thing to do!
Hotel is recommended by the way.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience and that you found the Hotel’s location convenient for the purpose of your visit.

Items such as the toothbrush / toothpaste can be requested through our housekeeping team and we would be more than happy to provide on to your room should you require in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were very happy with our stay in the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, a central location within easy walking distance to many of Sydney's best attractions; Botanic Gardens, Sydney Tower, Opera House and many choice of cruises on Sydney Harbour.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel especially location.

We look forward to welcoming you once again at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I’ve stayed in more than 50 SOFITEL Hotel’s around the globe and therefore have a good overall experience on this brand. We decided to stay at SOFITEL Sydney for four nights – including the one of New Year’s Eve – since we had a lot of good experiences at other Sofitel hotels before. However, we were really disappointed and have to admit that the SOFITEL Sydney does not deserve to be named as a SOFITEL and should much more be rebranded as a MERCURE, since my experiences in this property were at a very low level for such a brand. Do not spend your money in this property in Sydney, there are other much better Accor properties in town which also offer a much better value than this one as SOFITEL Sydney is highly overpriced!

We had the following negative experiences during our stay:

• The Check-in took very long as reception was understaffed, only two counters were occupied - there was no Le Club Elite fast Check-In available.
• We have booked two rooms 11 months in advance. Upon check-in however, the rooms were given at the same floor but not next to each other (far from each other), even though booking was made together.

• The room itself was not up to SOFITEL standard, for example did it not provide the usual SOFITEL My Beds - so far the first time I stayed at a SOFITEL without the confy My Bed. Also the Hotel does not offer any spectacular views over Sydney as other Hotels in the same price category do.

• Bathroom amenities were PULLMAN Hotel standard, at no other SOFITEL before did I get Roger Gallet products.

• I’m an Accor Le Club Platinum member, but did not receive any upgrade or any special recognition. The only thing I got was a small chocolate box upon check-in (since the room was not ready, I had to carry the chocolate for the next couple of hours).

• Furthermore I sent a requests to the Hotel Restaurant prior to our arrival asking for the organization of a group lunch (family reunion with 15 persons), and even though I had to resend that enquiry four times, I never got a reply! When I then called the Restaurant, I was requested to send an eMail again, even though I have done it already several times – consequently I gave the business to another property.

• No special amenity at all was provided for the NYE celebration – not even for the horrendous rate requested for that night. At other properties I got at least a bottle of Champagne for that special date.

• After all this issues I went to reception and told them about my disappointment (reception staff didn’t care at all that I was not happy with my stay) and that I decided to check-out already on January 1st , two days earlier, however I was told that this was not possible. I explained that it is possible since I had different bookings (one for the first two nights and one for the last two nights) and that the two last night’s could still be cancelled. I only got a rude response that I shall cancel the reservation myself since I’m the one who knows it better. Is this the way to treat loyal customers? Since there is no free internet at the hotel (most Accor Hotels in Asia Pacific have at least 30 minutes free Internet access), I had to purchase internet access in order to cancel the booking!

• At check-out day I requested a late check-out at 14:00 hrs (as a Le Club Platinum benefit), the same was refused with the excuse that the hotel was fully booked. This is strange, especially because the hotel was still available for booking trough their homepage and even reception staff told me later that there are still rooms available. Again a very rude approach to a customer.

• Consequently to the refused late check-out I did check-out already at 9:00 and requested to have the luggage stored until 14:00 when the pre arrange taxi for the new accommodation was booked. However upon arrival at 13:45 no one was aware where the luggage of the second room was (only the luggage of one room was there). It took the concierge around 25 minutes to “find” the baggage. Since the taxi meter already started to count, I told the concierge that I would not be willing to pay for that extra waiting time. Only after this intervention, he decided to compensate a part of these extra costs.

• Before leaving the hotel, we realized that we forgot our champagne bottle in the minibar of our room. However apparently the bottle has disappeared, no one could find it, this just a couple of hours after check-out. Note that the room was not even cleaned at the time as per information received from reception. How comes such a bottle disappears if no other guest has check-in in the meantime? Furthermore no compensation was given!

After confronting the Hotel management with these issues I was offered a complimentary upgrade to a Suite (upon availability) for my next stay. Not really great compensation as I will have to book again one of their overpriced rooms and having no guarantee that on my requested dates the upgrade will be available. But after all I don’t want to return to this place another time, there are much better properties in Sydney that really know how to treat their elite customers. My advice look for another Hotel if you are able as otherwise you will be very disappointed if you are used to the high standards that SOFITEL’s properties usually provide.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank worldxplorer_83

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments.

I regret to read that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide an exclusive service experience for every guest; therefore your feedback is very important to us. For those reasons, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies in regards to the inconveniences caused.

I would like it if you were to contact me on H3665-GM02@sofitel.com, so we are able to look closer into the issues you have brought to light and allow us to get back to you very shortly.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The service and the amenities of the hotel were very good. The staff at recception could not have friendlier or more helpful however our rooms were not available at the designated check in time. The rooms are very comfortable. The parking was easy. The evening meal we had in the dining room was delicious. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

1  Thank sandra_walker2

Thank you for your feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive such lovely feedback about the high level of service you received during your recent stay with us.

Thank you also for your positive comments on our Garden Court Restaurant and the professionalism of our team. We look forward to welcoming you to the Sofitel in the near future.

Kind regards,