“Great staff, amazing club and wonderful location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #53 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane
“Great staff, amazing club and wonderful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Sofitel Wentworth several times now and find the hotel excellent in almost every way. I booked a club room and received my upgrade as a platinum Accor member with no issues. The Club at the Sofitel is excellent and all the staff here are wonderful, their breakfast is one of the better club breakfasts I have had. The room I was in (1152) is one I have stayed in before and I have to admit they have addressed some of the problems I had last time. The shower had no ooze leaking from it and the room was very clean - housekeeping are good here. The Nespresso machine is a tad faulty (as it was last time) but I did not report this as I did last time to no avail - you need to stand on one leg, hold your tongue to the left and clap with one hand to get it to work, makes good coffee if you follow these simple instructions. The shower also leaked, but there are extra towels in the room to mop up the mess - nothing a bit of silicon would not fix. The food is excellent and the spa is well worth a visit. The place for me to stay in Sydney - a bit like coming home.

Room Tip: Get a club room - well worth the extra.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
It was an absolute pleasure to read your review about your stay Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

I am delighted that the Hotel was conveniently located for you and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Club Sofitel lounge; it is certainly an aspect of the hotel we are very proud of.

While it is wonderful to read the comments you made on your previous stays were address I will be sure to pass your new comments to our Engineering and Housekeeping teams; especially in regards to the balance required for the Nespresso coffee machine.

Once again, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your comments and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Muswellbrook, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

The service was great from the front desk to the restaurant and bar, the room was very nice, clean and comfortable in all aspects. We found the location perfect for our visit ( birthday present for my wife - a concert at the Opera House!) A nice touch was the gift of chocolates and drinks given to my wife at reception upon arrival, it set the tone nicely. We look forward to staying again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was with great pleasure that I read your comments and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to write regarding your experience.

We constantly aim to deliver a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations and I am delighted that our location, product and services afforded you a memorable stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Kind regards,
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed with the Sofitel Wentworth numerous times for business, preferring it for my businesses' official travel. Over the years, despite repeated feedback and recommendations for essential services in a five star hotel, the hotel continues to fail to deliver. While offering itself as a five star hotel, it is in truth more like a Pullman - it is decidedly four star business. It is unacceptable for a hotel of this standing to have no valet parking and to expect business travelers (or any travelers for that matter) to stand in a basement driveway for fifteen minutes while someone finds your car. This has been the experience repeatedly on stays at this hotel.

On this occasion my colleague and I each ordered room service (chicken satay skewers and fish). It arrived after an hour, was mostly cold and the following morning welcomed us into the new day by an early and unpleasant sickness that continues three days later. While it isn't clear to me if the indisposition was caused by the food being off or it being prepared by someone with some sort of gastrointestinal bug, the fact is, room service ought not make one sick - the food was dry, dully presented and delivered to the door by a fellow who seemed angry that he had been required to roll the trolley to the end of the corridor.

The hotel can no longer legitimately compare to other five star properties in Sydney (like the more expensive Intercontinental). The restaurant long ago ceased to be remarkable, the lobby bar, though recently refurbished, is really a lounge extension of the lobby if anything the refurbishment has made the place seem more poky and even more difficult to see any staff to get served.

The rooms are unclean and housekeeping has clearly failed miserably at the property. In the middle of illness, I sought out the assistance of milk from the fridge only to discover that the entirely inadequate small milk carton in the fridge had presumably been left by the last occupant - it was open and empty. The fridge wasn't cold, not sure that it was even on.

The bathroom counter top was streaky and spotted and the floor around the toilet appeared to have splash marks.

This hotel isn't a worthy colleague of other Sofitels around the world. None of these complaints can ever be raised with a manager - any attempt to do so results in being passed off to a "duty manager" or some other senior receptionist who can do little and has no apparent interest in appropriately fixing the situation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MadKingLudwig
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
It is with sincere regret that I read your comments regarding your Sofitel experience.

I cannot apologise enough for the issues that you encountered and I encourage you to contact me directly to further discuss your stay on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com.

Your comments have certainly highlighted a number of areas of concerns and please rest assured that your feedback has been addressed with our management team.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is my second time here - and it was exactly as the first one (3 years ago) - great!
Location is good - 5 minutes to the city centre and same walk to the harbour.
Room service is quick and the bed, like all sofitel, from heaven! I would recommend it for both business and pleasure trips

Room Tip: All rooms are great - try to get a good deal on the mini suites.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to share you lovely comments. I am most pleased that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience and that your stay lived up to your expectations. I am glad that the Hotel’s location was convenient for you and am delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel ‘My Bed’, a feature of all Sofitel Luxury Hotels.

Again, I thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We used the hotel mainly as a base location is good only a short walking distance to Circular Quay and the botanical gardens. The service was very good staff very helpful, room was quiet and more than adequate bathroom clean,king size bed was comfortable. We would certainly stay again and we have no hestitation of recommending the hotel to others
D&A
Perth WA

Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your Sofitel experience.

I was delighted to read that you enjoy your stay at our Hotel and am pleased that you enjoy our Hotel offerings and that the Hotel was conveniently located for your needs and most importantly able to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

Thank you again for taking the time to write; I do hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were disappointed to find that there was hair in the bed, bath, shower, on a towel and in the hotel prospectus. It was surprising to discover that hot chocolate was not available in the room, as we do not drink coffee. Our complimentary newspaper was not delivered to our room the next morning.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was lovely and quiet. The view was a little disappointing.

We dined in in the restaurant for dinner, and enjoyed the food. However if was quiet noisy. The value for money in the bar when dining with our Accor card was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am most pleased that you were afforded a comfortable and enjoyable Sofitel experience.

I sincerely apologise for the downfall in service you received in regards to the cleaning of the room. I will certainly pass your feedback on to our Executive Housekeeper as I know that she will be disappointed to of your room cleanliness.

I do hope overall that you did enjoy your stay and am glad that you were able to experience some of our food and beverage offerings.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This Hotel scores on its location and style. Only a five minute walk from Circular Quay and Opera House. The rooms are good with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom. The telephone system was completely crazy with reception being answered by room service and room service being answered by the messaging service! The hotel is let down by its impersonal staff apart from the fabulous concierge service who are knowledge, helfpful and friendly. Internet was expensive and slow. I am rating it very good on the location, style and rooms not service, but great if you are short of time in Sydney and want to see the iconic sites which is what I wanted to do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

I am very pleased that you were impressed with the service and had the opportunity to enjoy our food and beverage offerings. I sincerely apologise for the disruption you experienced when trying to contact the departments throughout the hotel. I will ask for our IT coordinator to investigate the connections throughout the rooms.

Overall it is wonderful to read that your enjoyed your stay for the time you were with us. I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.