“In need of TLC”

Ranked #51 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Mackay, Australia
“In need of TLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We once again stayed at the Adina in a 2 bedroom suite. This accommodation has become a family favourite as it is close to Redfern Station, cafes and is good value for $$$.
The only gripe I have this time is that the rooms although quite clean are in need of a good paint and brighten.
The staff here are always courteous and helpful, parking is available underneath and there is a clean pool to make the most of in the summer months.

Room Tip: King bads are comfy but be aware that they are king singles joined together so there is the ridge in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sid S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear newycouple,

On behalf of the team at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale I would like to thank you again for taking the time to provide us your feedback regarding your second stay with us.

I am glad to read Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale has become a family favourite for you. We endeavour to keep providing you and your family with our high standards of service which you have become accustomed to.

We have always maintained a proactive approach towards the upkeep of the hotel and we have taken your comments on board. Our location has always been ideal for our guests travelling into the city and I am happy to see that you have been able to take full advantage of our proximity to Sydney CBD, cafes and restaurants.

Once again I would like to thank you for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale.

Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Indonesian first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here recently as my husband was working in the city for the week and we have a young baby to accommodate as well. We were looking for something that was within a reasonable walking distance to the city centre, had cooking and laundry amenities and enough space for the three of us. This definitely ticked all our boxes.

Though it's not in the city centre it's a nice walk (about 30 minutes) to the inner city or a 4-5 minute walk to Redfern Station (where you can get to pretty much anywhere). They offered a restaurant service where multiple restaurants delivered to the hotel (and would pick up any grocery items you needed on the way) for a fee or there were plenty of cafes and restaurants within a few minutes walk around the hotel. It also has a well equipped kitchen where you could cook all your meals if you needed/wanted to.

The laundry was great too; it had a front loader, dryer and iron. They sell enough washing powder for 2 washes at reception for about $3 which you can charge to the room.

Although the king bed was one that could also be 2 singles it was surprisingly comfortable and also not too noisy because of the hotel's location out of the hubbub of the city. The location also meant you could park on the street if you wanted to but they have a secure car park that cost $18 a night.

They do have half an hour free internet access per day for your room, it was a bit unreliable though and timed out one day after only about 5 minutes. It's fine if you just want to check your emails that day or something but I wouldn't rely on it.

The decor had obviously been updated and was contemporary and comfortable. The pool is just a small plunge pool so you couldn't do laps but it was a decent size to relax in. There's also a nice garden courtyard with BBQ's, tables and chairs. They do have a "gym" but that consisted of a couple of workout machines and a few weights (and a TV and vending machines). There is a coffee machine in reception as well. The staff were all pleasant and happy to help.

The only real negatives I can think of would be that building itself is a little older so some of the windows were hard to open and the room guide said that milk would be provided but it wasn't. (However, I didn't ask for it so that might have been a simple fix). Also as with most hotels I've been to, to purchase internet access cost a ridiculous amount per hour so you'd be wise to buy a USB modem if you require reliable internet access.

I would consider this an excellent option for a reasonably priced apartment accommodation with plenty of space close to transport and Sydney city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sid S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear rastheaussie,

Thank you taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. Its feedback like yours which makes our team proud of the service standards that we provide to our guests. I am glad to read that you enjoyed all the services available at the hotel such as the swimming pool, courtyard with the BBQ area and our proximity to the city.

Our location gives our guest a great opportunity to be close to the city with easy access by public transport, yet have a quiet and relaxing stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I am also very pleased to see that our team was able to help you with all your enquiries and ensure you had a comfortable stay.

I would like to thank you again for providing us such a detailed positive feedback and I hope to see you again at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale in the near future. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me or the team.

Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here while visiting the nearby University of Sydney. The grounds are pleasant - there is an inner courtyard with a small swimming pool - and the staff is both friendly and helpful. My room was situated towards the back of the courtyard, to the right of, and above, the pool. The two entirely symmetrical and equivalent bedrooms have a comfortable king-sized bed, and the only noises that I can report is that of some early traffic outside in the mornings as well as annoying birds that chirp in the middle of the night. However, neither of these noctural distractions were very serious; I wouldn't have noticed either had jetlag not been causing the occasional predawn wakeup.

The rest of the room features a bathroom with shower and tub, a kitchen with microwave, oven, stove and refrigerator, and a sitting room/dining room combination. There is also a patio with a small table that overlooks the pool. It is a very pleasant place.

The only negatives are that not everything hereabouts seems to work. The dryer, in particular, has been unable - now for five days - to satisfactorily dry two towels that were thrown in there on Sunday evening (it is now Thursday evening) despite a number of attempts. Another is that the swimming pool light - featured in the pictures provided by tripadvisor.com - seems to have a burned-out bulb.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear jfstanton,

On behalf of the team at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our apartments spacious and comfortable during your stay.

We do have very high standards for both customer service and our overall guest experience I am disappointed to see that we were not able to resolve the minor issue in your room during your stay. I have passed on your comments regarding the swimming pool to our maintenance team to follow up immediately. Please be assured that your positive comments about the room, location and the team will be shared with everyone.

We hope to soon welcome you back again at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The main reason they are getting such a low ranking from me is because the "official" pictures on their website and on tripadvisor are very misleading. This place is far more dated than their pictures show. Their pictures show a white exterior and a clean crisp room, while in reality the white has turned yellow and the crisp has turned into dated upholstery and carpet.

The room was pretty expensive but that is understandable given the stay included New Years Eve. The room was clean but dated. The staff at the front desk gave a lot of misleading information. Specially a young girl. Anything you would ask her she would either misguide you or not want to help you. I asked her to call a cab and she said there are no cabs in the city and it would take 30 minutes. I walked out of the hotel on the intersection and I hailed a cab in 1 minute. She was just lazy and rude. For eveything she would say is a "5" minute walk would be more like 10-15 minutes walk. They claim that they are "15" minutes walk away from Darling Harbour in Sydney. It was more like a 20 minutes bus ride to Darling Harbour.

Also, they are not in Sydney CBD. They are in Darlington. The address is misleading.

All in all I would have given them a 3.5 if they didnt have such misleading pictures or information on their website. The price was more like a 5* though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sakeb
Sid S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Sakeb,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am disappointed to read that your stay was not what you had expected. Any feedback that we receive from our guest is an opportunity for us to improve and provide our guests with high service standards.

I am sorry the upholstery and carpet in your room was not to your liking, Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale underwent a soft refurbishment last year, with new upholstery and new carpets in all guest rooms. We endeavour to keep our rooms looking fresh with regularly maintenance checks, along with replacing items over time.

Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale is advertised as a “City Fringe” hotel, as such I am not sure where you were informed that we were in the Sydney CBD. We are conveniently located close to Sydney University, and a short drive from the CBD. Please let me know where this was advertised, so I can have this corrected.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the serviced received at front desk. Please accept my apologies. I have spoken to the reception team regarding your comments, to ensure a similar instance does not occur in the future.

If you would like to discuss this matter any further please contact me. We look forward to welcoming you back to Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale and providing you with a comfortable and relaxing stay.

Kind Regards,

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visiting Sydney for a 2 day business trip. I booked this through the Qantas web site as the price was OK (about $150 pn in holiday season). The hotel is in the back streets in an unlikely location in the fringe of the CBD. A taxi into the city is about $20 or a 30 min walk (depending where in the CBD you wish to go to). Close to the main rail station but also close to Redfern. Really some of the streets close by would not be encouraging for an evening stroll.
Parked my car in their secure underground car park 1st night ($18 per night) but left it on the street 2nd night with no problem.
Check in was OK but perfunctory, my room (No 27) was very good. A spacious apartment great for 1, ok for 2. Bed was comfortable. Nice central courtyard with tables, bbq and a very small pool.
Did not need to use their much talked about expensive internet (have my own sim card).
I would stay again as an alternative to the very expensive Sydney CBD hotels.

Room Tip: If your room has a microwave, there are some small convenience stores nearby to buy some supplies fo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sid S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Vicnzsa,

On behalf of the team at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased to read that you found your room to be comfortable and spacious for your stay. Our location gives our guest the proximity to the city but still away from all the street noise.

For your next visit I would recommend you take a stroll towards Newtown or Glebe, both places are a 10 minute walk from us and are packed with vibrant dining and entertainment options. If you are in a mood for something quieter you should walk down towards Victoria Park which is also a 5 minute walk from us and provides a nice place to relax in the sun.

We are hoping when you stay with us next time you will be able to make good use of our outdoor facilities such as the Pool and BBQ area. We look forward to welcoming you again at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale and provide you with the excellent customer service that we stand by.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The rooms were nice, especially the room with the twin beds. The room with the king sized bed was cramped and the wardrobe doors were a little difficult to maneuver at times. Still nice though. We had a large balcony with doors that opened up, a decent kitchen and nice lounge room. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Whenever we needed extra towels, a roll away bed, remote for the tv...we received everything quickly.
My complaint is mostly about our sheets not getting changed. My six year old has eczema and when he slept in the bed one night he scratched himself in his sleep until he bled. The next day when we came back we could tell the cleaners had been there and the bed was made. When I pulled back the covers I noticed the blood stains were still there. The next day cleaning staff must have been late doing their cleaning rounds because we'd come back from our day out and they hadn't been there yet. They came to the door with extra towels asking if we needed the room cleaned. We were all changing and my son was getting ready to rest so I just told them no. I can understand if the hotel doesn't want to change sheets every single day, but If there is blood on sheets they really should be changed.
Other than that...the place was lovely and we will probably stay at this hotel again since it is so close to my sister n law's house.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sid S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Mum2little1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback. We are pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make full use of all the facilities in the apartment. I have shared your comments about housekeeping with the relevant department heads and I would like to assure you that this is not our usual practice. Our housekeeping team has always maintained very high standards of service and it is our constant effort to improve on them.

We would like to thank you again for your taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future at Medina Classic Chippendale.

Medina Classic Chippendale
Nelson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed a week here at Christmas 2012, we booked 3 units in total for a family get together.
the reception and cleaning staff were great and efficient, The accom lovely and big.

The pool was tiny and had only one poolside lounger and a few chairs, and there was a lot of standing around the pool, so unfortunately days by the pool reading your book were not possible,
We were busy with activities but to finish the day off poolside would have been great,

There is a nice BBQ area which we used a few nights, and a grassy area , where the pool deck lounger/chairs could have been for a more relaxing experience.

Town is not to far away, and broadway shopping centre has everything you need,

The only thing that was a shock to us was the free Internet, which we used from our room, it offered most room numbers in the list to click on, and when input my details in, we got Internet sometimes but not others,,,, I asked reception and emailed their help page , who got back to me later, ,,, meanwhile we have been presented with a bill for Internet for $162.50 !!!!!!!

The reception printed off the bill and said there was nothing they could do about it, we had to pay it, don't you think they would have warned us of the ever increasing debt happening at reception???
I spoke to reception lady who was from Russia, and very nice, who said we had to use the free wifi in reception, but on days she could see that we had picked up the signal in our room,,, meanwhile at $12.50 a hit on the Internet I am not impressed!

Would stay again, as the rooms are great and people lovely, nice location,could see the centre point tower from our balcony and lovely birds woke us up every morning.

Room Tip: We were in #9 in ivy lane, overlooking residential and old trees, birdsong and first morning light...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sid S, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear MerrySea Nelson,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make good use of the outdoor facilities at the hotel and our proximity to town and various tourist attractions.

In regards to the internet connection as explained by our front desk team at the time of check out, our guests get 30 minutes free Wi Fi in the hotel lobby each day. The plans that you selected and got charged for were over and above that 30 min allotment. But I believe our team was able to resolve that issue efficiently and quickly for you at the time of check out.

I will be sharing your positive feedback with my team. We pride ourselves upon the high standards of service that we provide all our guests. It is our goal to make each stay as comfortable as possible for all our guest.

We look forward to welcome you back at Medina Classic Chippendale for another enjoyable and relaxing stay. On Behalf of the team at Medina Classic Chippendale I would like to wish you and your family a very Happy New Year!

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills
Surry Hills
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale? Share your experiences!