“Graham Staples”

Rydges Sydney Central
Ranked #71 of 174 Hotels in Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hobart Tasmania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I booked through Qantas hotels to use some points. I had a minor problem at checkin as even though I had clearly indicated the booking was for 2 adults and 2 children and was bed and breakfast, the hotel tried to say the breakfast was only for the adults. I had to show them the reciept which clearly said 2 adults, 2 children bed and breakfast and then really stand my ground and argue with them to get the kids breakfast included but they did do it in the end. I had booked a balcony room which I didnt get but the family were so over the first fight they didnt want to argue again so I just made sure I wasnt charged any extra for it.
However, after all of that, the room was large and light. there was a king bed and a double sofa and a flat screen TV as well as a desk with mini bar etc. There was plenty of room for out suitcases and we didnt feel crowded in. The bed was very hard and I didnt sleep wel in it at all but my hubby liked it, so thats the probelm with hotel beds I guess! We were on the 5th floor which has an outdoor deck area with chairs and tables which we made good use of. The pool was on the next floor down with internal stairs connecting it to the gym on the next floor down again. The pool, spa and sauna were fine. The gym was pretty good and lovely and cool.
Breakfast was pretty standard hotel buffet fare. the kids loved it. the pancake maker was good and the food was fresh, the staff are a little slow at clearing your empty plates so we ended up with plates piled up on the table which was a bit poor. There were free newspapers and in all it was ok. The coffee was terrilble but then this seems to be a Sydney thing!
The location is good, we walked into the Pitt St mall and down to Paddy's markets and darling harbour. Central station is close and easy to get to places like Bondi junction. Crown st is a few blocks up Albion St from the hotel and has great restaurants.
We would stay here again.

Room Tip: if you have kids, the lower rooms on the pool side are good as you can easliy take the stairs to the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the problems that you experienced during your stay. Our aim is never to create a bad experience and therefore, we will use this feedback to improve for the future.

Please be rest assured, this is not a common practice of the hotel and we hope, should you choose to return to the hotel in the future, that we can create a much better experience for you and your family.

I hope you can accept my apology and return to the hotel in the near future.

Regards,

Paul Donnelly
The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney
Wollognong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Beds are hard, 1 type of pillow- I had to use the pillow off the lounge! Pool ok.
Staff don't seem to be happy to be there. Breakfast was ok, again staff weren't cheerful and seemed they didn't want to be there. I wouldn't stay again.
Oh and most importantly ask for a room that doesn't face the road, you can hear everything !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel, we appreciate the time you have taken to inform us of your experience during your stay.

I would like to aplogise for the problems that you had during your stay at the hotel, our aim is to create an enjoyable experience for our guests during their stay and on this occassion, we have unfortunately failed.

Please do not let this affect you staying with us again, we would like to have you back with us in the future so we can give you a much better experience to take away.

Apologies once again, please consider trying our hotel again in the future.

Regards,

Paul Donnelly
The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was meet with very professional and friendly staff who ensured that the check on process was very enjoyable. the rooms were excellent and the overall facilities were top notch as well. I will have no hesitation in staying there again

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

The location is great, close to the city and some good coffee shops and restaurants close by. The Hotel has friendly staff, good value and well worth a return visit. ...................................

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family