“Food was a let down but hotel location excellent.”

Rydges Sydney Central
Ranked #78 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Check in was quick and easy, we were even allowed to check in early which was an unexpected bonus. The room was clean and spacious with nice sized bathroom, but the noise from the lift zooming up and down was a bit annoying. The bed was uneven and not the best but the pillows were good. We stayed for 8 nights and it seemed you had to leave the room before 9.30-10 to ensure it got serviced. We were looking forward to using the pool and at first glance it was great water was clean and plenty of towels but the tiles between the water and the edge of the pool were really dirty and in need of a clean. We went to Albies for breakfast and the selection was very good, however the evening meal there was a different story. Service at the restaurant was poor, it seemed there was only one waitress working (the rest appeared to be serving the conference rooms at the other side of the building), we had to get up and get ourselves some water as we were dying of thirst and no waitress to be seen. As a vegetarian my choices were limited which is not unusual but the salad starter option looked like it had literally been thrown on the plate and the flavors did not compliment each other. My partner had the quiche and it apparently tasted microwaved and was soggy. My main course was terrible, there was what I think was meant to be a salad garnish that had shriveled while waiting to be brought out, and the actual meal of zucchini fritter with mozzarella and tomato was terrible a soggy mess with no flavor. My partners steak was over cooked and not good. We didn't stay to risk being disappointed with pudding. The write up on their website suggested this was a 4 and half star hotel so I had high expectations that just weren't met and whilst the front of house staff were great and the location handy for the city I won't be staying at The Sebel Surry Hills again.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney.

I am pleased to hear that the check-in was quick and easy, we always strive to make the experience stress-free once our guests enter the hotel.

Whilst your praises will be passed on to the relative department, your concerns will be handled and investigated further. I would like to take this opportunity to aplogise for your displeasure of the dinner at The Albies. As mentioned above, your comments will be passed on to the Head Chef to ensure an improvement is made and high standards are presented at all times.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me on
(02) 9289 0000.

Regards

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Booked this hotel because of the Surry Hills address and because of the good trip advisor reviews. Unfortunately it wasn't really located in Surry Hills but instead located near back packing area and surrounded by a number of Salvation Army and church refuge help centres ( sadly there are so many 'street people ' in Sydney) . It is however very close to the main station . Staff were all very pleasant and helpful but the hotel itself has an almost cold feel about it. Room large but so very very basic I therefore couldn't understand the good reviews. I had to request drinking glasses and our safe didn't work on arrival as needed a battery charge. ( though both were rectified by staff almost immediately). Hotel could do with freshening and brightening up , particularly the bedrooms. I did not realise the hotel was part of the Accor chain and had I known I would not have booked it. In my experience Accor seem to be cutting costs and letting their hotels go rapidly downhill . Sadly they don't seem to be investing in quality. Bed not particularly comfy and although linen was clean , the quilt was wafer thin. Towels and robes also not great quality. Small but adequate gym and nice pool. Overall I was quite disappointed with this hotel especially as we had previously stayed at the Sheraton for less cost. I cannot understand why the hotel was so expensive at the time of our stay it was not worth the money we paid.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney.

All feedback is important to me and the hotel for it's continued improvement in all departments. Whilst I am pleased to hear that the hotel staff were all pleasant and helpful, I do apologise for the safe that was not working on your arrival and that you had to request drinking glasses. I appreciate that the staff fixed these issues almost immediately but our aim is to create a stress-free environment for the length of your stay with us.

With our transition over to the Accor Hotels Group, we are experiencing some changes that will benefit the hotel in the future. I hope this will not be the last time we see you at The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney and that you keep us in consideration for your next trip to Sydney.

Regards,
General Manger

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Unfortunately my stay at the Sebel wasn't that great to start. When my friend and I first arrived we were told that our room would be ready in 10mins! 20mins later we decided to not wait any longer and go for walk. We got back late afternoon and was given our room key, when we went to our room I wasn't impressed with the dark room and then we inspected the bathroom and it was still dirty! It still had foot prints from the previous people in the shower as well as the toilet and bathroom floor were disgusting! The Assistant Manager was wonderful and took us to the bar while they got another room ready for us which ended up be nice, but overall I wasn't that impressed with the Hotel at all and am sorry I used my free night there, I felt that I wasted it and I will not go there ever again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to offer my deepest apologies for the state of the first room that you were allocated. I am pleased that the staff looked after you and got another room organised.

Please enusre that this is not a common practice of The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney and this incident will be investigated further.

If you would like to speak to me directly about your stay, please contact the hotel on (02) 9289 0000.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had a total of ten nights at this hotel over a two week period. Oh how I wish I had been booked into one of the several other hotels of a similar price range I had stayed in in this area. There is nothing greatly wrong just a collection of things that add up to a poor experience.
I started with a room with an incredibly noisy aircon unit. This was fixed. The internet was slow to the point of not being useable. The windows don't open but also don't really keep the noisy out from the busy cross roads below. The breakfast is pretty rubbish. I had it every day and on no day could I bring myself to try the eggs they looked so bad. We actually questioned if they were doing new eggs one day, the chef just pushed them around in the grease and asked what was wrong with the ones on display? I am an accor card holder but received no nights stay credits or points as I was on a cheap booking(???). The housekeeping are only on for a few hours so if you try and get your room cleaned after about 11am it's unlikely to happen....
Not four star... an average three.... depressing hotel.... but nice coffee shop attached (not run by hotel) and the very cheap Vietnamese nearby is good. I did get short changed by the 7-11 on the corner too!!! Rubbish stay...

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Adina hotel instead...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jon b
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us at The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney.

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not at a satisfactory standard. Your review has been taken on board and we will look to improve on these issues to ensure it is never a problem for a future return to the hotel.

If you would like to contact the hotel direct and discuss your experience, I would be more than happy to hear about it.

Regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our stay at the Sebel was very pleasing. Easy to find, great facilities and excellant location. The staff were very welcoming and approachable. We found the dining room and food excellant. We will be back. Thankyou.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Sebel is a great hotel for access to all of the key areas of Sydney CBD.
Rather than staying in the CBD in a concrete tower amongst other concrete towers I can have trees outside my window and breathe easy in a more homely hotel. Great business facilities too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed at The Sebel Surry Hills for one night and it was a great stay for a city escape. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable with modern amenities. Within walking distance to Central Train Station which was very convenient. The buffet breakfast was included as was delicious and had something to offer for everyone. Great stay at a great price, would highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney for your city escape.

I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as the features and location of the hotel.

Hope to see you again soon :)

Regards