“A great place to stay”

Rydges Sydney Central
Ranked #79 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Although we only stayed for one night, we found this hotel's location great for accesss to the City and the rail network. Facilities were resort standard very clean and spacious, and staff went beyound our expectations to ensure we had a memorable stay. We dined in for the evening meal and for breakfast and were pleased with the standard of food, beverages and service. It was great to see families enjoying this hotel as well. Will certainly aim to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Helen204

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one

The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney

Write a ReviewReviews (1,764)

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here 1 night while visiting friends who live in Paddington. Location was perfect as it only took 15mins to walk to Oxford Street. The room was a suite and was big but had a lot of empty space. The bed was big and comfortable. The TV was mounted on a wall that didn't face the bed directly which was probably the biggest problem I had with the room. Overall it was a good hotel which was conveniently located near the city, but next time I will book a normal room and save some money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times, experienced many of their rooms and here is the summary.

Rooms - great size, all I have been in feel spacious.

Gym, Pool - a little dated but clean and well presented.

Room Service - enjoyable.

Breakfast Buffett - huge range of choices.

Over the years I have had a couple of instances were I haven't been delighted and every time I provided feedback the hotel went to appropriate lengths to fix the issue and to delight me.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Picked up a cheap room during a sale period for a Saturday night stay. Ok hotel, convenient location close to central station. Rooms look to have been updated, though still showing some wear throughout. Staff welcoming and efficient, no dramas throughout the stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed two nights and the service was wonderful. Housekeeping were quick to help when I realised I'd left my favourite red shirt in the wardrobe after check-out. Great location in trendy Surry Hills. The 5 min walk to Crown Street is very pretty as you walk past heritage buildings and quaint terrace houses. I much prefer to stay in this area of Surry Hills as it is quiet - no street noise so a good night sleep is guaranteed. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Allison, Brisbane

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Allison S
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed 2 nights, a week apart, and paid $159 for a deluxe room, including breakfast and a bottle of wine. The beds in both rooms were too soft and uncomfortable, although the rooms were large and the bathrooms newly renovated. The showers had good pressure. On both occasions we overlooked Albion Street so the rooms were quite noisy from the passing traffic. Breakfast was typical of many hotels with the so-called hot food only being lukewarm. I had to ask twice for more water to be put into the coffee machine. Coming from the country by train we like a hotel near Central Railway and the Sebel certainly fills the bill. However, I prefer the Mercure at Railway Square.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WandaSandhills

Dear WandaSandhills

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Sebel Surry Hills. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At Accor Hotels, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

I hope that you will accept our apology and allow us the opportunity to show you this level of service is not indicative of the usual high standard at our hotel.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in a deluxe room. I requested a quiet room based on other advice picked up from reviews. Unfortunately even though I was given a room at the back of building could still hear loud music and partying until late hours. But the worst of my experience was the bed! Deluxe king size bed was actually two singles pushed together, not so bad except one side had the worst slump I had ever laid on. Didn't get any sleep and next morning requested another room. Was told housekeeping would first check it out. Not too happy as I felt as though they didn't believe me and thought customer satisfaction should be priority. After returning from a busy day, I was told at reception I still had the same room as they stuck a "board" under the mattress! This turned out to be plywood after lifting the sheets to check and didn't make a single difference. Won't be staying here again for a 4 and 1/2 star hotel I expected better service and sleeping conditions. Shame...

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank angela k
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Angela K