“Strange experience - good hotel though.”

Rydges Sydney Central
Ranked #79 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed in a few hotels recently in Sydney, the first hotel being the Sebel Surry Hills. After flying across the world, I was looking forward to a quiet night with my partner in, what I initially thought, was a nice quiet hotel. After about 30 minutes of checking in, a full scale row/riot/fight broke out on our corridor between some indian guys/ladies/families. It was extremely shocking to listen to and the police were called to settle the dispute between these 'guests'. Not a great experience on my first night in Sydney after flying for 30 hours. The next day I went down to complain and the duty manager apologied and awarded us witha nice bottle of pinot noir which was nice.

I must say - this was the only problem I had with this place. Its actually one of the better hotels in Sydney, looking back. The rooms are clean, it has a good gym, its fairly centrally located and it has parking (at a premium price). The hotel is also close to the station which is handy if you want to travel to the outskirts of Sydney.

All in all I would stay here again.

Just make sure you have a better disaster plan in place if another riot takes place on one of your levels. Im sure that was a one off but it was quite disturbing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,764)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I decided to try a different hotel whn the Best Western Hotel Steelar was booked out. Sebel Suury Hills ticks a number of boxes - stone's throw to the best cafes and restaurants in this city, close to Central Station, a little away from the city without being too far away. The room was comfortable enough and had everything ou expected or a hotel in this price range. Check in and check out was efficient, and staff seem friendly enough. I did however leave my electric toothbrush behind after check out, and when I came back th next day, they could not find it. It was the most disappointing thing bout the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Recently attended a conference at Sebel Surry Hills. Food was outstanding - sushi, berries, quiches, salads, healthy and interesting options. Great Gluten Free food as well. The service from hotel conference staff was not great. They didn't finish clearing the rooms between sessions - left some rubbish lying about. When I told a manager on duty he was less than interested. Also the key person with questions about timing of meals when these had been signed off in the conference. I have since spoken to them about using their facilitites and they were most attentive to my feedback and to my request, and negotiable on possible deals. I will certainly use them in future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BudSydney
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I once knew, way back in the good ol' days a Sebel hotel worth commending.
Gone are those days. The Sebel I once knew is now full to overflowing with families who all booked "the cheap seat tickets" The breakfast buffet is a sight to behold and then avoid everyday thereafter. The restaurant staff are not too bright, friendly nor helpful. Our room was weirdly large, somewhat renovated but with a shockingly uncomfortable bed. Two singles pushed together with a very thin bed mattress topper. The location is good, a little noisy on the weekends. The best part of our stay was the very friendly and extremely helpful reception staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

my mother inlaw recently turned 80 and we arranged a surprise treat starting at the sebel in Sydney. Old friends came from all over and stayed at the hotel which I would rate at 10 star. The rooms were great atmosphere excellent and the staff went out of thier way to make it a weekend to remember.Cant thank you enough.

Room Tip: wlaking distance to paddys market and central station
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Sebel S, Front Office Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one
Regards
Lauren Job
Rooms Division Manager
The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

The most comfy bed I've slept in. Was disturbed in the night by the brightest clock radio beaming throughout the room. My room was at the front so bit of traffic noise but not disturbed by it. Very good breakfast and cheaper if you prepay when checking in. Eating in restaurant was too expensive for quality of meal and service of waiter who forgot our drinks until he delivered our meals.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Sebel ticked the boxes for our weekend stay: great location, clean and spacious room and a pretty generous breakfast. It's not flashy or indulgent, but it's everything we needed and the staff were quiet, but helpful. We walked across the road to Central Station several times in our stay because it's quite a walk to the shopping hub (several blocks north) and The Rocks (several more blocks North). The room was quite large (we had a king bed) and the bathroom seemed recently renovated. Nice, simple modern decor. Breakfast was unpretentious, but had more than we could eat and some nice options if we had wanted to be more greedy. Overall, a good value choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple