“Definitely not 4.5 stars” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Sydney Central

Rydges Sydney Central
Ranked #71 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne
“Definitely not 4.5 stars”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Good location was the best thing I could say about this hotel. While it is clean and moderately comfortable, the rooms are soul-less and devoid of many comforts and features that should be standard. My strongest negative was that so many things didn't work - it was becoming almost comical in the end. The TV, the (non-existent but advertised) safe in the room, the inaccessible though heavily promoted swimming pool. Every piece of equipment I tried in the gym - no wonder it was deserted. The computers probably worked but I was amazed there was a charge to use them as I was there for a conference. There was also a charge for WiFi - standard in much less expensive accom. places. Breakfast in the restaurant was very basic, as were other meals. However the service was friendly and the hotel was reasonable value given its location close to Central Station (if you're not going to travel by trains, the location wouldn't be a plus).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AdeleF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Guyra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

I can only speek on my experiences. I think this hotel is great. Beds are the most comfortable beds that Ive ever slept in. Our room ( once again on our third stay at hotel) was extremely clean. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and helped with googling maps to assist our day trips to explaining every option of transport to perfection to set us on our day out. Restaurants GREAT. Cant remember the guys name at the Town house restaurant but he is awesome at his job. We found the breakfast wonderful with plenty of options and comfortable environment. Kids enjoyed a swim, spa and sauna at the end of each day. I will definetly be back for my next visit, so close to Central and if your up to a good walk you can stroll down to circular key. Thanks Staff, We will return.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are my pick
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I booked this hotel using a Wotif Wotdeal so was happy to stay at the Sebel Surry Hills as I had never stayed there before. In fact, I usually aim to stay closer to the centre of Sydney.
Driving into the hotel, the driveway was crowded but that was due to idiots in rental cars and not the hotel. The car park wasn’t too tight but was very full also.

Entering the lobby, you got a feeling that it was going to be of a relatively decent standard for its rating. The staff were extremely friendly and I got my room key quite quickly. Moving to my room, I got the feeling that the hotel was split in 2 as the lifts to my room were down the bottom of the lobby yet a lot of guests were getting into lifts at the top.

The room was a good size and had everything I wanted for a 1 night stay. The bed was comfortable despite it being 2 single beds stuck together (which so many hotels seem to do). The couch was comfortable and the desk a good size to use my laptop. I was only on level 3 and had a view of the street looking down to Central Station.

The bathroom was clean buy clearly starting to date. The door was chipping as were some of the tiles. The shower was in the bath which I have grown to despise in my travels.

But the location was great. I had been encouraged to explore Surry Hills yet didn’t get a chance on this trip so am not sure of its proximity to all these great cafes and bars I have heard about. But it was only a few minute walk to Central Station which was where I needed to go. I also walked down the China Town which was extremely close.

I had the hotel breakfast which was offered to me at a discounted rate where I pre-purchased. It had all the essentials and even the scrambled eggs weren’t runny (yet I am yet to find a hotel to make the taste good). It had one of those pancake making boxes which seemed to provide a level of entertainment to younger guests.

Overall, I will go back to this hotel in the future. Granted I got it at a very cheap price but it was at a good experience and will hopefully enable me to explore Surry Hills in the future.

Room Tip: Unknown, but I always prefer to be higher!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Crawley86
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We had a pleasant stay at the Sebel. Fast check-in, under 5 mins! The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was clean though some of the tiles looked a little dated, cracked etc, but they were clean so that is the main thing! Bed was super comfy with lots of pillows and cushions.
Breakfast was okay, bacon, eggs, sausages, hash browns, tomatoes, cereal, toast, pancakes, fresh fruit and yoghurt. Wasn't the best I have seen but filling enough. We had breakfast included in the room, not sure I would pay $23 for it.
It is about a 15 min walk to the main area of George Street, only 5 mins to Central Station.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

My family and I had a good experience at the Sebel. The 3 people that I can mention by name whom made our stay pleasant were Nigel, Buster, and Steph. There were others as well. Nigel was extremely helpful in booking activities for my family and I.

The heater in our room did not work so they supplied a small heater which worked quite well. They offered to move us to another room but we declined since we had two adjoining rooms.

Bathrooms, tubs and vents could use some cleaning.
Breakfast was good but since we stayed for 5 nights it would have been nice to have had a little more variety. My kids loved the pancake machine and wanted to bring it home.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

The hotel was busy at the time we arrived, and so despite a check in time of 2pm we were unable to access our room until 6pm, once an hour being told that the room would be ready in 10-15 minutes.

The bathroom had mould in the corners nearest the shower, and there was no fitting covering the hole in the wall where the showerhead emerges.

We purchased internet for $84 for out 7 days stay, and arrived to find a single wired ethernet port that was exceptionally slow, only one person could use it at a time, and there was no wireless available in the suites. Upon check-out 2 other members of the room were charged for the full 7 days worth of internet despite no previous indication that the single connection was available for only one persons use.

The buffet breakfast lacks variety, and certainly isn't worth the $20 they charge for it.

The rooms are freezing cold, and though the airconditioning can be set to more than 22 degrees C, the temperature won't actually get up to more than 15.

The staff, with the exception of a rather awful manager named "Luke" are pleasant and very helpful (Luke is the antithesis of helpful), and the facilities are good. There are many other hotels in Sydney, and I would look elsewhere before booking this one - it's at the lower end of quality & service for its price point, and a better experience could be had elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cmmherbert
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I like the Sebel - the location is perfect and the staff are fabulous so I always stay there when I'm in Sydney for business.

This is the first time I bought my family with me and the experience was great once again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family