“Not for an intimate dining experience”
Review of Sokyo

Sokyo
Ranked #88 of 6,519 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Sokyo. Where the buzz of Tokyo meets a Sydney beat. Allow yourself to be lost in the world of Chef Chase Kojima and his impeccable union of traditional craftsmanship with an innovative take on contemporary flavour. Now open 7 days a week for breakfast and dinner, and lunch Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked a few weeks in advance but were disappointed to find ourselves at a table very close to other diners - one table of four who were really noisy and the other a couple who were quite animated and speaking in another language. The server obviously knew the table of four next to us, and we spent most of the evening with her buttocks resting on our table. We had planned to have a very long dinner, selecting many courses, but left after just four share plates and went elsewhere. No level of food quality warrants that type of dining experience. The Star got this one very wrong. Bring back Sean's kitchen!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Had my birthday dinner in Sokyo. Was a wonderful experience.. the atmosphere was so modern and pleasant, the food was really yummy, the service was excellent and the restaurant hosts were really lovely. Plus the restaurant validated our parking ticket so we got free parking at the Star. It was a very wonderful experience. Will definitely go back again. Great place for business clients dinner for sure. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED..

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had recently enjoyed my first experience at Sokyo, and much to my surprise, the food was magnificent. Was initially very hesitant about going there, as I'm more of a traditionalist, and had not been so keen on "fusion" styled offerings previously.
Before anyone jumps up and down about the use of the word fusion, it's the best I can come up with as its certainly not traditional Japanese.

The contemporary take on some the old school favorites like yakitori is simple, elegant and mouth watering, as is their version of pork belly.
Their desserts are distinctly more European but nevertheless delightful, with the sampling plate with the four desserts being the standouts. The best way to describe the selections on the menu, d like an oversized degustation menu. The choices of beverage all seem to compliment one dish or another.

There have been reviews previously stating their service was bad, but I would take that with a grain of salt. We were greeted warmly, attended when we wished, and although yes there was slight delays in some of our selections coming out, it really wasn't an issue. Service staff, all made eye contact, smiled and came by numerous times to ensure our dining was to our satisfaction.

From what I understand, there are two sittings times available.
I was advised by friends to take the earlier sitting if you wished for a little more intimacy, as the music in the adjoining bar commences towards the end of the first sitting and throughout the second. I found this to be very accurate.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

On Friday, 11th January 2013, my husband and I arrived at Sokyo, Star Gift Card in hand. We waited at the restaurant entrance while two staff members busied themselves with other tasks not even looking up to acknowledge us. We might as well have been invisible but we waited patiently. Finally, we were shown to our table. Service was friendly and helpful and we enjoyed a very good sashimi platter with four sauces, a beautifully prepared cod, expertly cooked but ordinary duck, very good snapper and pumpkin tempura, a lovely dessert of delicate doughnut balls with frozen mascarpone and raspberry sauce, good wine, and coffee. As advised by the desk, shortly after arrival, we presented our server with our card so that she could deduct it from the overall amount on our bill. Several minutes later, she came back to the table to ask how much it was for. We were taken aback and asked her why she was asking. She said it was not registering as a valid card. She disappeared again coming back later to say they were still checking. My husband immediately requested that she send the manager to our table which she did. The manager explained that the card was not registering anything and that they were still seeking validation of it, We were surprised by the experience and humiliated by it as well. It was either at that point or when she returned again that I stood up and told her that we were completely appalled by their inability to honour our card, a Christmas present from our daughter's good friend. The manager apologised profusely, far too late in the dialogue, as I told her. She said their system had not been able to key into the Star Gift Card system on some, perhaps many, occasions. I told her we were very angry about this experience and that it had affected our otherwise almost perfect dining experience with them. Again, she apologised profusely and again I told her it was far too late in our exchange to make that apology and that she should immediately remove the $100.00 from our overall bill of $320.00 which she agreed to do. The unfortunate thing about an experience like ours is that we were left with the impression that Sokyo has many amateurs attending to their customers and that management is unprofessional, uncertain and inexperienced. They certainly do not provide the kind of guiding hand we expect from a fine dining experience. We cannot recommend this resaurant unless they can prove they have sorted out these clumsy behaviours.

7  Thank SuseSydney
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Had a delicious dinner in Sokyo and found the food and the service great. Our waiter was very helpful in explaining the menu and we picked quite a selection of different dishes to try. Particularly good were the Morton Bay Bug Tempura and the Kingfish Ceviche, which we had to order again at the end as everyone wanted more. The Donatsu (filled donuts) were also so delicious that we ordered another portion.

Really enjoyed our evening here, the restaurant was buzzy and the food delicious.