“Poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sokyo

Sokyo
Ranked #54 of 5,835 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sokyo. Where the buzz of Tokyo meets a Sydney beat. Allow yourself to be lost in the world of Chef Chase Kojima and his impeccable union of traditional craftsmanship with an innovative take on contemporary flavour. Now open 7 days a week for breakfast and dinner, and lunch Thursday through Saturday.
“Poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I give the chefs of sokyo credit for cooking amazing food and having to work with such horrible staff.
Great service up until these Asian gamblers walked into the door. I don't care who they were I want to be treated equally. The amount of time my friends and I had to find our waiter or any waiter to stop for us was ridiculous. Typical for the star!!
Amazing food but horrible service! The star really treat their "gamblers" well but if you're not a gambler say bye to good service

2 Thank Havjack

• Korean first
“Food no value, environment not enjoyable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been to hundreds of restaurants around the world, but This is the worst restaurant I have ever been to. The food quantity in a dish is so small that there is almost nothing in it. The food quality is so so. The environment is terrible ,very noisy music to make you sick. Service is not too bad only because they know that you are being ripped off. This is not a restaurant for you if you want value for money and this is not a restaurant that people would like to return. Sorry " Sokyo", bye bye for ever.

3 Thank Gooogoo
Sydney, Australia
“An expensively disappointing Japanese restaurant in Pyrmont”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We went to this restaurant at the Star Casino to celebrate a friend's birthday. We booked one of the few tables with an outside view and in a less crowded part of the restaurant. My tip is to book one of these tables as most of the tables are internal with only a view and the sounds of the 'many' other diners who appear to be crowded in. The ambience in the main dining area is poor and more like a caferteria. However, there is an excellent selection of fresh (swimming in the tank) seafood which is cooked to order, and the wine selection is also excellent, but expensive. Our table was not set when we arrived, no cutlery, crokery, glass wear or serviettes, only a linen tablecloth, and the service seemed a bit haphazard. This is perhaps a fine point of criticism, but for an expensive restaurant presentation is an important first impression, and it was disruptive to have the table being set when we sat down. Without being too critical, it too too long for our aperitifs to arrive - drinks delivered on time is a must! The food and wine was expensive. I had the feeling, and I may be wrong about this, that the restaurant was catering for wealthy Asian gamblers staying at the Casino hotel taking a meal break from the gambling tables. Well worth a visit for the food which was excellent but I don't think I will be rushing back unless I have a big win somewhere...(maybe $2 jackpot lottery)

• Visited September 2012
Pokolbin
“The best Japanese I have ever eaten!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Sit at the Sushi bar and have Chase (the owner) work his magic in front of you! Make sure you book in advance as it can get very busy on weekends.

Visited October 2012
Adelaide, Australia
“Hit and miss, mostly hit though”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is quite a funky little restaurant in the lobby of The Darling. A little hard to find because of the lack of signage and the dimly lit lobby but we got there eventually.
We went with the option of having the waitress order a custom menu for us. The service at this restaurant was excellent and the Japanese waitress we had that night was absolutely lovely.
I can't remember every single dish we tried but here are the highlights.
The teriyaki short ribs were sensational. Moist, tender and nicely marinated. I hate to use the phrase "melt in your mouth" because that is so clichéd but it really was that good. We also had the sashimi and traditional sushi which was lovely and fresh.
There were 2 dishes that we had however, that could be improved. One was a tuna sushi with a crunchy brown rice base. I didn't think the crunchy rice was compatible with the delicate tuna. It overpowered the tuna both in taste and texture. The other dish was a seared scallop dish. Scallops are generally quite a forgiving seafood that can take a lot of flavours or can be served plain. I think the marinade did nothing for these scallops.
We also had a dessert platter to share and that was absolutely divine, and I'm not really a sweet tooth.
The espresso martinis were also delicious.
Overall a beautiful meal and a great dining experience except for a couple of dishes.

• Visited August 2012