“Better than I expected!”

Elephant Backpacker
Ranked #86 of 137 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
London, United Kingdom
“Better than I expected!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

I spent a night here over a weekend, and was pleasantly surprised. For $19 for a 6-bed female dorm, I wasn't expecting very much, so was impressed by what I got. I read some of the reviews and honestly some people expect too much when they book a hostel. The hostel is right opposite a park bordering the city centre so the location is convenient. The bed was comfortable, and the room was relatively quiet, given that it is situated on a busy road. The staff were attentive, helpful, and even remembered my name! There were lots of people there, all in a similar age range (mostly backpackers) which made for friendships and lots of fun. The other amenities were basic but clean, which was good. A lot of reviews moaned about the cleaning but it is fine - the main offenders are other guests. Would consider staying here again short-term.

Room Tip: Cafe has good food - not worth trying to use their busy kitchen.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

From reading other people's reviews, staying at this hostel is a bit of a gamble. Before I booked I'd seen bad reviews and thought people might be over-reacting. I'm not precious! But this hostel was the worst I've stayed in Sydney, luckily I was only there one night. First of all we went to our room which had two beds but only one blanket, so we went to reception to ask for another blanket. The lady at reception just said "Sorry, we're out of blankets." The minimum I expect is a blanket on your bed in winter, especially as there were signs on the walls saying using your own sleeping bag is not allowed. Instead I bought a used towel (she said "don't worry, they've been bleached" which made me laugh as it was a brown towel) which I used for my blanket. My other complaint is that in over 12 hours the toilets weren't cleaned, there was liquid over the floor and the baths were dirty. I skipped my shower that day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Felicitybrb

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Orange, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed there in winter. It was cold at night and they said they would provide a doona or extra sheet if you ask. So I asked for a doona and they gave me only an extra sheet. I am not sure if they have enough number of doonas to meet guests' demand, especially in winter. The hostel was the cheapest in Sydney, but I regretted staying there instead of paying extra few dollars and staying in another hostel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank misocutlet
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and everything was fine. Of course it is nothing special but it was the cheapest hostel I found in Sydney and even so it was better than expected. The bathroom is shared but clean and working correctly, also the hot water. No breakfast is included but they have a cheap café attached to the hostel. The hostel is located close to the city centre and as I said, considering the price and so on, I think it is a very good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

PRO
- nice cafe with nice food for good prices
- excellent location
- free wifi

CONTRA
- not clean at all
- cockroaches in rooms, kitchen, bathrooms and even IN BED !!!
- unfriendly manager, who doesn't care about your concerns
- kitchen is closed and cleaned (not really cleaned, but at least they pretend to) at 5pm
- luggage room can't be locked
- bathrooms are discusting- old underwear lying there for days
- no cooking equipment provided in the kitchen, you have to go to reception and ask for every single item

--> I know it's rather cheap, but still too expensive for what you get. Choose another hostel, seriously, or you end up with bedbugs!

Room Tip: there is no good room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel for the following reasons. Location is amazing , the staff is very friendly, the food prices in there cafe were amazing. The hostel is in an old heritage building that added to the charm and experience of Sydney. Be warned that since this is an older building some doors don't shut properly, there is no air con and the bathrooms are basic but clean. I personally had zero issues with these as the price, staff and location more than makes up for it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

First the good points: The hostel is cheap and you can reach everything important by foot. And yeah, you can store your luggage BUT as the door is open, everyone can walk in there.
Which leads me to the negative stuff:
Why the hell does the kitchen get cleaned at 5p.m.? And it isn't really clean anyway, cockroaches in the kitchen, cockroaches in the rooms on the first floor.
I'm staying here at the moment, because it was the cheapest. I spent three nights in a mixed room with three other people in the first floor and it was horrible. The bunk beds don't have any ladders and you can actually fall down from the upper berth as there is nothing to protect you from falling down. On the cupboard there's stuff from the people who lived before in the room. They don't clean that, don't vacuum the room and you're lucky if they change the rubbish. Now I'm in a private double room, the mattress is horrible, my neck and back hurts but it gets vacuumed everyday and the rubbish gets emptied. Which is, to be honest, completely unnecessary do to every day if there are only two people in the room.
All the stuff you want you have to get from the reception, which is okay but annoying.
Additionally there are many many people in the hostel, so there are also a lot drunks at the weekend.
The Irish girl at the reception is really nice, at least something else which is positive.
So if you want to stay in a clean hostel, do not go there!

• Stayed June 2014