“Good value hostel but dirty place”

Elephant Backpacker
Ranked #88 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Lyon, France
“Good value hostel but dirty place”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed around 3 weeks at this place. Our stay was overall good. This place is really good located : 10min from the CBD, 10min from the Opera and 30min from the Central Train Station. Really good value hostel, we payed 16AUD for a 4-bed dorm, because we booked via their website, I don't understand why it cost 20AUD if you book via their office, so if you need to save money, book via internet. This place is overall dirty. Showers and toilets are dirty and a lot of them are broken. There is roch and bugs everywhere on this place, kitchen, tv room, rooms, EVERYWHERE! Staff and reception are a bit unfriendly... It's depend id there is at the reception of course but overall they're not friendly, even the manager. First night at this place, expect you to spend a cold night, because they have not enough blanket for everyone. It's a young place so if you don't like the party and noisy place, don't come here.

Room Tip: Room are first floor (111-115) are noisy because they're located above the kitchen. Try to get a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Lyon, France
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I booked this hostel because it was one of the cheapest in Sydney and then I started reading some of the reviews and some of them made me want to cancel my booking. However, by that stage it was too late so I checked in. I really can't understand what all the complaints are about. It is no different than many other hostels I have stayed in throughout Australia. The bathrooms are ok and sometimes they are cleaner than others depending on who has used a toilet before you. But I saw cleaners working in the showers throughout the day and usually any dirt or mess was cleaned by the evening. My bed was comfy and I was given clean linen when I checked in. I tried to cook in the kitchen but it was too busy so I tried the cafe that is connected to the hostel. It is good value and has yummy food. The location of the hostel is ok. It is not in the center of the city but on the fringe and you have to walk through a park to get to the center. The hostel is full of mainly backpackers and as usual they make a lot of noise at night. The friendly reception lady offered to move me but I was leaving so it didn't matter. Given its price and location - worth staying.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lucinda G
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Awful! First night there was vomit in the sink in the men's bathrooms, loud, dirty, and even the buttons in the elevator is trying to run! The toilets are horrible with human leavings up and down the walls, as well as the toilet. Owner was fighting with her boyfriend at 3.30am right outside our room. People are smoking a lot of marihuana outside. Lack of control and responsibility. Horrified. Beds are really uncomfortable, but that is actually a really small problem here.

• Stayed June 2013

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My partner and I went to Sydney for 4 days for a concert. We wanted the trip to stay as cheap as possible so we booked to stay at this hostel in a double room with shared bathroom for 3 nights and it was $90. Thats $15 per person per night:) We didn't expect much for that and 'basic' and better than many of the reviews indicate. But the location was excellent, 10 minutes from the city centre. There was very little noise disturbance and the bed was very comfortable. The showers were clean enough. We didn’t try to cook in the hostel kitchen and ate instead in the cafe. The staff were friendly. It was a great base for our 4 day trip. If I returned to Sydney and this was still hundreds of dollars cheaper than other hotels, I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

if anybody looking for accommodation don't go to the elephant back packers in Sydney
as the toilets don't flush there no separate toilets for men and women we asked for a disabled room and was excepted to share with two men the men had the bottom bunks and we were to sleep on top bunks we paid for two nights and when we returned on Saturday night our room had been re rented out

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Amanda H, Owner at Elephant Backpacker, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest
On every floor we have toilets for men and women and each toilet is a separate toilet cubicle that goes from floor to ceiling and is labelled "men" and "women". We do not have unisex toilets and unisex toilets are not permitted in Sydney! Our toilets flush and are checked daily by our manager.

If you wish to have a disabled room you need to request it in your booking plus tell reception when you check in! We have 24/7 reception and you did not advise you had a problem with your room or "somebody" in your bed.

Perhaps you would be more suited for a hotel - but they are not as cheap as us!

Regards
Elephant Sydney
Chengdu, China
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,235 helpful votes
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Let's be honest about why we checked into this grungy backpacker "palace". We wanted to stay the night in Sydney, mainly to get away from our invalid aunt's whinging about the housework not being done. Our selection criteria was the fact that this was the cheapest of the thirty or forty places we looked at online. It doesn't get much cheaper than $60 per night for a double in Sydney these days, it seems.

What do you get for $60 in Sydney's Inner East? You get a bunk bed in a narrow room in a hostel filled with drunken European backpackers, who seem to only want to mix with other Europeans, which begs the question of why they have traveled all the way to the Southern Hemisphere to do something they could have done in Munich and Copenhagen and Amsterdam. But I digress. The hotel was already been savaged by reviewers and I don't feel tempted to sink the boot in any more. It is very basic but it is certainly cheap, and the building itself is a lovely colonial structure, even if the facilities are very basic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
northants
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed at whilst travelling.
The building could be incredible if it was looked after / refurbished.
The 'staff' are friendly but haven't got a clue what they're doing!
The rooms, hallways, toilets, showers and kitchen are absolutely filthy!!!
Two toilets and three showers on our floor. In the morning there was no toilet paper whatsoever in any of the toilets. Also there isn't even a bin or sanitary bin in the toilets so the 'ladies' were using the floor as their form of sanitary disposal.
The showers worked fine but the floor was beyond disgusting, more hair on the floor than I have on my head!! Two of the three doors didnt lock, I don't think they had ever been cleaned!
Basically you need to have a wash AFTER you come out of the washrooms.
The hostel is cheap but it isn't even worth the $$ spent. Please please look elsewhere before resorting to this dump.

• Stayed July 2013