“don't stay here”

Ranked #87 of 137 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Nowra, Australia
“don't stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

if anybody looking for accommodation don't go to the elephant back packers in Sydney
as the toilets don't flush there no separate toilets for men and women we asked for a disabled room and was excepted to share with two men the men had the bottom bunks and we were to sleep on top bunks we paid for two nights and when we returned on Saturday night our room had been re rented out

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Amanda H, Owner at Elephant Backpacker, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest
On every floor we have toilets for men and women and each toilet is a separate toilet cubicle that goes from floor to ceiling and is labelled "men" and "women". We do not have unisex toilets and unisex toilets are not permitted in Sydney! Our toilets flush and are checked daily by our manager.

If you wish to have a disabled room you need to request it in your booking plus tell reception when you check in! We have 24/7 reception and you did not advise you had a problem with your room or "somebody" in your bed.

Perhaps you would be more suited for a hotel - but they are not as cheap as us!

Elephant Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chengdu, China
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,179 helpful votes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Let's be honest about why we checked into this grungy backpacker "palace". We wanted to stay the night in Sydney, mainly to get away from our invalid aunt's whinging about the housework not being done. Our selection criteria was the fact that this was the cheapest of the thirty or forty places we looked at online. It doesn't get much cheaper than $60 per night for a double in Sydney these days, it seems.

What do you get for $60 in Sydney's Inner East? You get a bunk bed in a narrow room in a hostel filled with drunken European backpackers, who seem to only want to mix with other Europeans, which begs the question of why they have traveled all the way to the Southern Hemisphere to do something they could have done in Munich and Copenhagen and Amsterdam. But I digress. The hotel was already been savaged by reviewers and I don't feel tempted to sink the boot in any more. It is very basic but it is certainly cheap, and the building itself is a lovely colonial structure, even if the facilities are very basic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

northants
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed at whilst travelling.
The building could be incredible if it was looked after / refurbished.
The 'staff' are friendly but haven't got a clue what they're doing!
The rooms, hallways, toilets, showers and kitchen are absolutely filthy!!!
Two toilets and three showers on our floor. In the morning there was no toilet paper whatsoever in any of the toilets. Also there isn't even a bin or sanitary bin in the toilets so the 'ladies' were using the floor as their form of sanitary disposal.
The showers worked fine but the floor was beyond disgusting, more hair on the floor than I have on my head!! Two of the three doors didnt lock, I don't think they had ever been cleaned!
Basically you need to have a wash AFTER you come out of the washrooms.
The hostel is cheap but it isn't even worth the $$ spent. Please please look elsewhere before resorting to this dump.

• Stayed July 2013
Potomac Falls, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Seriously. I've stayed in many hostels across Europe, and this hostel was beyond anything I've ever imagined. Our room door didn't lock, the crappy little TV in the corner had a broken remote (if you're going to provide a TV, at least make sure it works), there were bugs crawling in our room, the bathrooms were disgusting (there was a clump of hair in the shower for two days), and there was something that resembled fecal matter on our wall. Additionally, we arrived and I asked to buy a towel (not even rent a towel since they were out of those) and they had run out of towels to buy. The people at the front desk were not helpful at all. When I would ask how to get somewhere, they'd give the most obscure directions and didn't care at all about what happened to you in the end. If we asked for Wi-Fi, they would say that they were getting it fixed, but nothing seemed to even be done about it. If you're going to have a job working at a hostel, do your job and act like you might care just a little bit.

My friend and I were scheduled to stay in this hotel for 4 nights, but we left a night early and the woman that checked us out didn't seem one bit surprised or concerned that we were leaving three nights early. This is also a hostel that people tend to live in for weeks at a time; one person I talked to had been living there for 3 months. Something about the whole place just rubbed my friend and I the wrong way. When it came down to it, we just didn't feel safe. Stay away from this place. It's the worst and most unsafe hostel I've ever been in. For those who say, "It's a hostel, you get what you pay for," just don't listen to them. You don't get what you pay for and it's much more worth your time to find a better place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
You wanted to stay at another hostel and as we would give you a refund you have gone out of your way to make outrageous allegations against us. We are full the majority of the year as we have a cheap and cheerful product. Our rooms, bathrooms and communal areas are clean, our linen is externally laundered and we are in a great location to access Sydney. We do not try to pretend we are the "Ritz" and perhaps you should be more realistic with your expecations.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Relatively good location (walking distance from the center), and although our room was nothing special (8 bed dorm with lockers) the sheets on my bunk were clean and I was given additional clean linen and a dooner when I check in. The kitchen was basic and we didn’t attempt to cook as it was way too busy so we ate in the cafe which was cheap and yummy. Toilets were being repaired and painted while we were staying - so had to use toilets on floor above. The staff were kind; overall the experience was positive for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Book through there own website as it has the cheapest prices.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Taupo, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have never seen such a filthy hostel. first night I arrived we had flown over from New Zealand with my 2 friends. We had arranged with hostel to all be in same room and it had been confirmed. When we arrived the unfriendly receptionist told us that we were not in the same room and this was because and i quote "sorry, its because of all the idiots and morons working here things keep getting mixed up" so night one we were in separate rooms, when we got to our rooms we noticed there were no blankets or duvets on beds and when we asked at reception for them we were told sorry they are all out and wont have any clean until tomorrow at 11am come back then. So we had a rather cold night sleep.
The next day I went for a shower and when i looked at the shower i turned round and went back to my room unwashed. They are disgusting and broken. all the showers on my floor were broken. So i walked up to the second floor where i found a working shower, the door to shower the shower had a lock that did not work. I looked at all the showers and on all 3 floors and about 3/4 of them had no working lock.
The toilets are another story the showers were bad but the toilets were horrendous again about 3/4 including the female toilets had broken locks. at least one on each floor was blocked and people had still been using it. There was one toilet on my floor that had been blocked for 3 days and when i left was still blocked with poo all over the toilet bowl.
The kitchen was a disaster zone. when i was clean up my broken pot and plate i counted 5 dead small cockroaches and 3 moving one by the drying rack.
The rooms themselves were dirty and cold. the occupants of the hostel were a noisy crew. I am aware that yo can not silence people but you can ask them to be quieter.
The management of this hostel should be ashamed of themselves.
I disliked this place so much i checked out early and moved to a much nicer hostel.

The web page makes this place look good. It is NOT.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
You extended your stay for another night! We couldn't have been this bad. Also the picture of the mattress was taken in your mate's private room after his girlfriend had a lady's accident which she came down and apologised! Give us a break!
Elephant sydney
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, staff were pretty 'distracted' but when you needed something they were very good. I can't complain about some of the terrible residents they had whilst I was there, as this is in no way the hostel's fault. I am almost embarrassed to write that I requested to change rooms after one very very loud night without sleep, but the lady at reception was very helpful and arranged that for me. She also had an argument with someone who was letting friends in to stay for free in my room, but I don't think anything actually got done about kicking them out. Kitchen is a decent size but you have to deposit your room key for every utensil you need. Didn't have anything from the cafe, but reputedly it's very good. Good proximity to a couple of nice pubs, all in all for a hostel it was pretty good. You could do worse :)

Room Tip: For an extra $2, go for a 4 bed dorm instead of the $18 8 bed. So much space and room for storing yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thanks for a balanced and well rounded review.
Hope to see you again.