“Exactly as expected, great security and fantastic location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woolbrokers Hotel

Woolbrokers Hotel
Ranked #124 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Gold Coast
“Exactly as expected, great security and fantastic location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

A friend and I stayed at this hotel in a twin room for one night. We had a small room with two (surprisingly comfortable!) single beds, a coffee table, TV, sink and bar fridge. While the bathroom facilities were shared we rarely had to wait for people to finish, and they were always immaculately clean. The fact that the front door was locked 24/7 was very comforting - usually one of the things you sacrifice with a cheap hotel is good security. The room door also dead locked behind us so as long as you keep your key on you, you never have to worry about leaving the door unlocked. The only problem was road noise, but I guess you can't complain about that for the price we got the room for! For $95 for the night and such a great location we couldn't be happier.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank JazzyEC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

We picked this place due to it's vicinity to Darling Harbour and Sydney Convention Centre as we were attending a conference there (Group of 8. Booked 2 4 bed rooms with no bathroom). The rooms we got were simple and just like the photos on their site.

If you're only at your accommodation to sleep then this place was perfect. We had the fridge chocablock because it's quite little, and we were disappointed that we couldn't get a toster (we knew people staying in other rooms and they had a toster in their room) to make breakfast. When I asked the staff about it they weren't all that polite when telling me that some rooms had them and others didn't and that we can just go with what we have.

All 8 of us were sharing the only toilet and shower on our floor with another two rooms, that did become a bit difficult sometimes and it looks as though the bathroom needs a little revamp soon - though nothing unbarable!

Although a little rough around the edges, we enjoyed ourselves and will definitely happily return next year... maybe we'll bring our own toaster.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank louisebrooke
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

I can't praise the stay I had enough. When you find a place so close to Darling Harbour & it's cheap you think there's got to be a catch... there wasn't any with the Woolbrokers Hotel. It was perfect. The staff were really welcoming & the rooms were great. We had a twin share, ensuit room which was worth the small extra price. The courtyard was cute, the breakfast was yummy, the rooms clean & quiet. Thank you to everyone for making our stay so comfortable.

• Liked — Friendly staff & great room
  • Disliked — The internet was down on there computer
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Art162
ManagerJohn, Manager at Woolbrokers Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2009
As always it is a pleasure to receive nice reviews and for that I thank you. We try our best and whilst many people say nice things on the way out it is even nicer when people are prepared to put their views in public. Apologies for the internet being down, it is supplied by a third party so at times their "Mr Fix-It" can be a little delayed in getting around to checking our terminal. There are three internet cafes within a five minute walk so no-one is ever totally without access though it may not be as convenient as having on-site access. We are in the process of wiring all the rooms but it is a work in progress and I cannot promise when that facility will be operating. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Sydney.
canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

Brilliant little hotel, very inexpensive and a perfect location (2 minute walk to the light rail station which can take you to central station), and just a minute further on to the convention centre.
Rooms were very clean, shared bathrooms were also suprisingly clean. Staff were excellent and will definately stay at Woolbrokers in the future.

One small negative, my room was on the side near the road and I was not used to traffic noise, but overall great

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank travellers03
ManagerJohn, Manager at Woolbrokers Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2008
Thank you for the kind words and I am sorry that your room was a little noisy. I realise that being close to a major road can be both a blessing and a burden. If guests complain we do endeavour to find a quieter room though that can depend on availability as regular guests and those knowing they are light sleepers try to request the quieter rooms first. We have double-glazed the ground floor rooms, but not the upper levels as then we would lose the capacity to be able to open the windows and let in fresh air. My recommendation is that next time you book you ask whether you could have a quiet room and we shall do our best to meet that request. We value feedback as only then can we determine whether we are meeting or failing guest expectations, so your contribution is much appreciated. - John
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

Recently had the good fortune to stay at the Woolbrokers for the third time in six years as host of an international football team.
The experience hasn't changed in all this time despite many staff changes, nothing is ever too much of a problem in this place.
Our young footballers have huge appetites and high protein dietary requirements, so the hotel brought in a chef from our region to fulfil all tastes and needs, the food was excellent and the continental buffet breakfast most substantial.
The place is very clean and homely, the shared bathrooms even adding to that homely experience.
It was once again a delight to stay at the Woolbrokers, we will all be back again to enjoy the excellent location and value this hotel offers it's clientele.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — stairs, no lift
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerJohn, Manager at Woolbrokers Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2008
As the new Manager I am gratified that the minor changes I have instituted with regard to meals have met with such a positive response so early in my time. I believe that just because we operate at the "budget" end of the market we don't have to just offer budget-type service. I do hope flashpierre and his team members return and leave feedback as it is only with feedback that we can judge how well we are meeting the demands of the marketplace. - John
canberra
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2008

I found this hotel on the Wotif website and because it is like right at Darling Harbour I decided to book for a couple of nights because it is resonable priced and well located
Big Mistake..... I found the hotel very old and dirty looking. The rooms are in major need off a refrubishment.. Reminds me off a Backpackers hotel. The T.V sitson the sink so when you turn the tap on the water splashed up on it. Major OH&S Issue..
The Staff are unfriendly and quite rude and I woke up to a bad rash of some sort on my back in the morning.
Breakfast was cold and not worth the price and it is shared bathrooms which I totally hate and No Air/Conditioners in the room only cheap fans which do nothing.

I DO NOT recommend this hotel. It should either be closed down or a Cheap Backpackers for $10.00 a night..

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank mick00048
mick will be pleased to know that we have repainted those old and dirty looking walls and the televisions are now off the sinks and on the walls or on their own units in some rooms. We advertise as being shared bathrooms and they all have locks so are not communal (though do have three ensuites for those who prefer that). If anyone feels that they have been misled by any of our advertising they are welcome to contact me direct. We welcome constructive feedback as it tells us what we could be doing better - John

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

South Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Woolbrokers with my boyfriend and his cousin. It was in a good location near darling harbour. Price was good for this location I thought.
Staff good. Also good that you could put your bags in a safe room on your leaving day.
Shared bathroom not to bad.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008