“Love the Lord Nelson” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel
Ranked #3 of 63 Sydney B&B and Inns
Kwajalein Atoll
“Love the Lord Nelson”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Love the location, just across the street from a major bus stop. From our 4th floor room we could see Australian Maritime Musem. The food was great and the beer award winning.
Stayed 5 nights over New Years Eve. We were a little worried that the pub would be loud, but it's not heard on the upper floors. This is a very old building, one, if not the olderst, Pub in Sydney. For this reason the building doesn't have a lift.

Would love to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bill W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

It is exceptional for my wife and I to return to the same restaurant twice when we are on vacation. The pub's lamb burger is heaven, the beer divine, its claim to being the oldest pub in Sydney unverifiable--2 others make the same claim--but the claim to best beer, I have no doubt!

You can't make reservations that I know of but perhaps if you're a guest at the hotel you may. We were there only for the food and beer. You walk in and hope to find a seat or, stand and drink if you're not having food.

We ran into a couple English expats living in Sydney who said this bar is their favorite English style pub. I can see why.

Stouffville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at The Lord Nelson for two nights while waiting for a cruise which was leaving from Circular Quay. The hotel is only a very short trip uphill from the port. We had a 3rd floor room with ensuite bath and kingsize bed. The room was very clean and overlooked the road. We ate at the pub downstairs the first night and had a great meal. When we arrived we were too early to check in so the office looked after our luggage while we walked around The Rocks, enjoying a drink at a roadside cafe. My only complaint about the hotel is that the pub guests were quite noisy at the outside patio tables (which was just below our window) but all quieted down when the pub closed for the night. Perhaps a room that doesn't overlook the roadway would be quieter.

1 Thank GrammapatStouffville
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I booked here 8 months in advance for a honeymoon. Although we had requested a specific 3rd floor room -- or any 3rd floor room -- we didn't get one. I confess to being a bit surprised given the outstanding nature of the request and the nature of our stay, so please be aware that if you make a special request, they'll need to be reminded on more than one occasion.

There are good things: namely the location, the comparative value for money, and the bath products are nice. And oh yes, the beer. Victory Bitter and Old Admiral were the favorites amongst the 5 we sampled.

That having been said, the negative outweighed the positive. When we arrived, there were mosquitos that my husband ended up killing. He reminded me that it could have come from anywhere and it didn't repeat later during our stay, but it was not a good start. We arrived on a Friday night after 24+ hours of travel, and we were slightly shocked, when we arrived to be exposed to such loud noise that we couldn't sleep until after things quieted down around 10:45pm. This repeated itself on Saturday. This was largely because of the pub traffic on the weekend (and hopefully perhaps unusual as its the time of year for Christmas parties). Sunday, however, was much better and I can imagine that during the week it's a fabulous place to stay. So, while we booked the hotel largely because of the pub (i.e. we like a drink and a night out), I was surprised by how truly loud it was and would not recommend staying here on the weekend if you are jetlagged and in need of sleep. If, however, you've already been in Australia for a while, irrespective of the day of the week, I can see how it would have a particular appeal -- but please be aware of this. I'm not sure that we would have picked the Lord Nelson had we appreciated in advance how truly noisy it was going to be during a sensitive time.

A couple of other important things: the thermostat in Room 202 didn't work properly. When we turned it on, we were utterly freezing. It didn't seem to regulate itself despite our best efforts (not something I would have accepted from a 4*, let alone a 2* hotel). Then, when we turned it off, the room got a bit warm (but it is summer). Also, as I am a bit of an internet junkie, I was surprised at how poorly the WiFi worked in the room. It basically didn't. We did, however, have better luck in the dining room. The other thing that bothered me a bit was the water pressure in the shower -- it was quite sporadic and was sometimes strong and sometimes not. It honestly some of the oddest showers I've ever had in a hotel bathroom. But maybe, looking on the bright side, you can tell yourself it's a special massage? But not what I would call 4* quality.

That having been said: I think the staff are lovely people. Everyone that we dealt with (breakfasts, check-in, phone calls, the bar, etc) was very nice and professional. They were the kind of people with whom you want to be dealing.

Overall, it's a 3* hotel with some nice people who work there, good value for the money (considering how expensive Sydney hotels can be) and the beer is excellent. Just keep your expectations low and you'll be happy. And, if you're on honeymoon, don't expect any special treatment. You're just another customer.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sd_in_switzerland
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We loved this hotel! It was small, charming, quiet and had the best pub in town! Being a pub hotel, there is no typical reception. You show up at the bar, they bring you to an office and you're assigned your room. We had a standard small room and it was just fine. The price was fabulous compared to other hotels in Sydney. We had to share a bathroom, but no issues at all. Towels and toiletries were provided, coffee maker, TV and ample storage space for 2 people. The bed was comfortable! We had a view of the street, and while there was some noise, it wasn't too bad and didn't keep us awake at night.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Right in the heart of the Rocks district, but just far enough out to be nice and quiet. You could be at Circular Quay in just 10 minutes to catch a ferry to Manly, Watson's Bay etc. etc. It's also very close to the Sydney Harbour Bridge and I loved catching a glimpse every time I stepped outside. There are markets in the Rocks on weekends, and has a wonderful vibe.

The included breakfast was ample and tasty. Toast, yogurt, fruits, cereal and juice made to order. It included only one cup of coffee, but if you asked they gave you another depending on who was serving. You could also order eggs etc. at extra cost. The staff were helpful and friendly and answered any questions we had.

Now, on to the pub... the pub is stellar! We ended up here every single night to have beers and chat with locals. It's not just tourists who come here, it's Sydneysiders themselves after work to mingle and catch up. We love pubs, but this one was special. It had a great atmosphere. We ate there a few times and the food is fantastic - meat pie with mushy peas, chorizo and shrimp pizza, chickpea fritter, the ploughman's lunch etc. - all great. The beer is brewed on site and while I tried them all, my favourite was Three Sheets. Even with the pub downstairs full of people, you never really heard any of the noise from your room.

The wifi was a little spotty while we were there. It was slightly annoying, but at times we managed to connect. The connection is not good enough to Skype or anything, it's pretty weak. Just something I wanted to point out.

I loved Sydney, and the hotel definitely had an impact on why I loved it so much. It's a wonderful, old stone building with a ton of character, set in a great part of town. Do give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it too.

Room Tip: No elevator, get a low floor if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jolliette
Richmond, NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

People in Sydney who say, "They don't make beer like they used to" have not been here.

Whether it's for a quiet drink, a convivial lunch, a visit to the restaurant, or an economical place to stay, this place is pretty near perfect. By no means 5 star, Michelin guide etc. but that's for those pretentious morons who buy over priced beer in overpriced clubs and pubs.

The Lord Nelson is easy to get to if you walk out of the Kent Street exit of Wynyard Station and turn right. It's a half a mile level walk. After your drinks etc. it's a mile back along the same route or a roll down the hill to The Rocks.

The beer is brewed on the premises and living up to the it's name The Lord Nelson does not take prisoners! 3 pints of Quayles Ale (named after a visit by VP Quayle) and I'm anybody's.

The ploughman's lunch is authentic and the snacks and meals are reasonably priced.

A friend of ours stayed at the hotel and reported that it was a bit on the basic side but very highly recommended and for him that was his top rating as he normally stays in 5 star hotels: he was "slumming it" on this visit because he was paying the bill!

The building itself is worth looking at because it was originally built by convicts and you'll see the stone chisel marks on many of the stones. Walking up or down Argyle Street you'll pass one of the oldest churches in Sydney and under one of the oldest bridges.

I visit this place at least once a year and often use it as the place to have drinks with friends. Just remember that the beer is very strong and you'll need to have decent plans for getting home. Far better to organise a room for the night.

Room Tip: Booking in advance essential for busy periods.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Norman H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Love this place it has so much character, history and the beer brewed on premises is the best we tasted in Sydney, my favourite was Nelson's Blood rich dark and to easy to drink :-) (UK Camera member) The menu is simple in a good way and the quality of food is excellent.

Room Tip: Not tested