“Cental Location”
Review of Arts Hotel

Arts Hotel
Ranked #102 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed over the NRL Grand Final Weekend, Service at reception good , the rooms are not large but ok, the price is good and value for money, good area to be in and plenty of restaurants around to try .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Headchef57

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed at this property several times over the years when it was known as Sullivan's. Back then it was always a pleasant, quirky and affordable choice.

On my recent visit to Sydney I opted to stay here again under it's new name of Arts Hotel which in my mind eluded to a possible revamp with an artistic vibe. Wrong. Same place, simply new and misleading name.

The property is still quite basic and I do not have a problem with this, however the rooms have not had an update since I started staying there many years ago. It really is time for an upgrade.

My real problem lies with house keeping. The room did not look as clean as it should and this was confirmed when I went to use the toilet and noted a brown stain. Yuk. The ironing board kept collapsing. I think time to invest in some new ones and lastly daylight savings kicked in during my stay. You would think the digital clock would have been amended. No.

Another note. Why is the restaurant only open for breakfast. It has the most fabulous position on Oxford Street and they are not maximising the passing trade that would most certainly patronise it if they removed the clunky furniture and funked it up.

On a more positive note, the front desk staff are pleasant and helpful.

Sadly I think this was my last stay here until they give it some much needed attention.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Melbourneguy
ArtsHotel, General Manager at Arts Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for adding a review of our hotel.

We are extremely sorry about the housekeeping issue. It is important to bring these things to our attention at the time so we can take appropriate action. The same applies to the issue with the ironing board.

Our rooms undergo constant maintenance but we have not made any major changes to our Standard rooms. While they have all of our usual appointments – new flat screen televisions, free Foxtel, room safe, ironing board, etc., they are as the name suggests, our basic rooms and are priced accordingly. Recently we started upgrading a number of our Garden rooms to a higher standard of finish. These “Art Rooms” feature bespoke wall treatments, ergonomic and hypoallergenic beds, rainshowers, new furniture, new plush pile carpeting, original artworks and a number of personal touches. Currently they are being offered as a free upgrade to long stay guests who book a garden room.

Kind regards
Mark Foster

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Normally, I stay at the Holiday Inn Potts Point, but my work this time put me into the Arts Hotel. I was leery at first, as it's not much to look at, but was pleasantly surprised. The Garden Room I had overlooked the inner courtyard and pool, and was very quiet and well equipped. The rooms are smallish, but have a desk, a couple chairs, fridge, brew gear, and TV with lost of channels (including movies). The best was fine, though I'd prefer a softer pillow option.
You can't beat the location on Oxford Street, Paddington and the CBD is easily accessible, and there are some great pubs/restaurants very close.
The underground parking is VERY cramped, with not too many spaces, so if travelling by car (especially a SUV etc), you may want to think about a back-up plan for parking.
The staff were very friendly and efficient, and they serve a basic continental breakfast with hardboiled eggs, cereal and so forth for $16.00.
The only real complaint I had was the aircon was quite noisy, even on low. I slept through it, but it was distracting when watching TV or reading.
Overall, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Darryl D
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Clean, cheap, great location close to St Vincents hospital- but noisy, and very basic. Great if like us, you just needed a bed. Free undercover parking a bonus. We got there very late and left very early, so didn't get to really speak to the staff or check out the facilities.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2013

As I did not pay top dollar I was not expecting something so good. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were updated, clean and tidy. Had a fabulous nights sleep, the bed was comfortable and it was quiet. Public transport nearby and not far from the CBD. A great corner pub next door also offered great service, fabulous meals and a nice spot to relax. Would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms that face oxford street might be noisy but I can't be sure. The others are really qui...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gwomit
Reviewed September 1, 2013

As someone who travels at least 300 days a year for business and pleasure, I think it is important to note that I can tell a great deal when I see one. The Arts Hotel was perfect for me in every way. Clean, convenient, friendly and comfortable are all important factors when I travel for pleasure. Many thanks to the front desk staff, especially Fredrick, Madeline, Florence and the hotel manager also, they were all so kind, helpful and went the extra mile to help make my stay the success I hoped for. A few words of advice to assist in making your visit the best it can be....this hotels is not fancy, but it has a lovely garden and swimming pool, a quiet and relaxing spot to take a break from the usual 9am to 9pm day of a busy tourist. Everything in Sydney seems to be expensive, so take advantage of the tasty and plentiful breakfast that you can pre purchase at the Arts, it is a great value. For someone who enjoys walking, this location in Paddington is perfect. I walked to wonderful boutique shopping, to the Opera house and to the day boat cruising docks. If you are there on Saturday, be sure to walk to the Saturday Market, it is THE place to really mingle with the locals and pick up some great gifts for friends at home. I had a wonderful trip to Sydney, many thanks to the staff and management at The Arts Hotel..

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sparkboy
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Arts Hotel was our first stop in Australia. We stayed for three nights. The front desk staff was amazing, proving us with more than enough info and suggestions for navigating Sydney. Our room wasn't 5-star accommodations, but was clean, spacious, and had more than enough closet and drawer space for all of our belongings. The hotel is located in Paddington, which is within walkable distance to the City Center. We're definitely walkers, so we made it to the Opera House and other sites with ease. It was maybe a 30 minute walk. There are also bus stops located very nearby, which made getting to Bondi Beach a breeze.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to any saavy traveler looking for clean and convenient digs!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends