“the bridge climb a must”
Review of BridgeClimb

Ranked #1 of 347 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: See Sydney at its best - take the Climb of Your Life with BridgeClimb Sydney! With our Climb Leaders as your guide, you will suit-up in our specially designed outdoor gear and ascend the arches of the coathanger. From dawn until dusk, the view from the top is always different. Climbs are available at dawn (limited departures), during the day, twilight or night. Did you know there's more than one way to the top? choose between the original BridgeClimb, a 3.5h experience travelling on the upper arch, The BridgeClimb Express, which travels on the inner arch and bursts through to the summit from below in 2h 15min, or the BridgeClimb Sampler, a 90 minute experience that reaches a vantage point half way to the top. The BridgeClimb and BridgeClimb express are also offered in Mandarin. We also offer Special Event Climbs for some of Sydney's Festivals, such as Vivid Sydney or Australia day. Don’t miss out on this unforgettable, and uniquely “Sydney” experience!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed December 7, 2007

altough pricey at $179 (about £78) this is an absolute must do, it was the most fantastic thing we did in Australia. The whole experience is superb, and the views from the top unbeatable (surpasses the AMP Centrep Tower any day by a mile, dont' waste your money going up there !).

Tip - if not going in summer when sunshine is virtually guaranteed, book the climb when in Sydney. We went in Spring ( 27 Nov) when the weather in Sydney is quite changeable. We followed the weather forecaste and booked on Tuesday (when it was raining) for the wednesday, which was a perfect sunny day !

4  Thank Essex123

Reviewed December 4, 2007

I'm sure I can't add much more to what the other reviewers have written! Yes, it does seem expensive, but the whole activity is very well organised. They take a lot of time to make sure that you have all your kit on correctly, you know how to work it and you feel happy with the practice ladder climb. We had a fantastic day for the climb and the guide never once rushed us - it felt like we had plenty of time to enjoy the breathtaking views over Sydney!

3  Thank hufri
Reviewed November 23, 2007

Wonderful experience!
It seems not cheap but if you think about the organization, the staff to be paid, the facilities provided and the preparation the price is fair and reasonable. Everything is arranged at its best and the experience is something you cannot forget!
Climbing the bridge is not an hard job: everyone can do it, even young children.

4  Thank FB0172
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I’ll keep it short, I’m afraid of heights and had a ball!. The climb leader really puts you at your ease, nothing scary about this climb and the views are breathtaking. Witty commentary and a great laugh, how do they remember everyones names?

Photos are great and surprisingly not over-priced. Another must-do in Sydney and you will never forgive yourself if you don’t do it.

8  Thank TravelBoo2
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Finally climbed the bridge a couple of weeks ago with my two 10 year olds.
We climbed at midday on a wonderful sunny day. There was hardly any haze and the views were wonderful all the way from the Heads to the Blue Mountains, The sights, sounds, smells and colours of Sydney harbour were so bright and alive that it really almost made me shed a pride-filled thankful tear that this is the place I call home.
The climb itself was not at all strenuous and both the views and the sense of adventure dulled whatever fear of heights I had previously felt. The climb leader was knowledgeable, witty and made everyone feel at ease.

And yet.......to play the devil's advocate......despite all the above I feel there's some justification in saying, "It's simply not worth it."
A combination of the Pylon Lookout (for which you get free tickets good for a week if you climb the bridge, by the way), a visit to Sydney Tower, and a couple of carefully considered walks/ferry rides along the harbour, can provide just as spectacular a Sydney experience and views which are just as captivating for a fraction of the price.

Don't get me wrong; I loved the experience of the bridge climb. But I simply don't understand how they can justify charging such exhorbitant prices (starting at $A179adult/$A109child) for the priviledge of climbing a pre-existing public structure. And with the full support of the city council and state government, no less!

This is a shame because more reasonable prices would give more visitors the opportunity to participate in both daytime climbs AND a dawn, twilight, or night climb.

The worst of it though, in my opinion, are the steep prices charged for photographs taken by the climb leader during the climb. About 6 photos are taken including the complimentary group pic at the top of the bridge. And though there is absolutely no hard-sell trying to get you to purchase any of the additional photographs once you've completed your climb, the people running Bridgeclimb know full well that the vast majority of climbers will indeed purchase additional photographs of their climb since no personal cameras are allowed up on the bridge.
The exact prices elude me ($A24.00 per print?; less for a small montage of 4 photos?) but I recall that they raised an embarrassed wince even from the people selling them at Bridgeclimb. I do remember that even photos burned to disc were charged by the photo and that 4 photos on a disc would have cost us approx. $A64.00!! Indeed, the pricing structure was so ridiculous that the embarrassed fellow who printed out 5 of the 6 photos we had decided to purchase also printed out the 6th print and quietly handed it to us with a mumbled apology about their pricing policy.

The Bridgeclimb is a nice thing to do if you can afford it. But it's hardly a 'must do' in Sydney unless you're more concerned with bragging rights than actually experiencing and seeing Sydney.

Just my opinion, of course............

33  Thank CheeseburgerParadise