“I don't think I'll stay there again”
Review of The Russell Hotel

The Russell Hotel
Ranked #49 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Yes, every room was decorated differently and our room was like a dungeon! We stayed in standard room with shared bathroom. The bathroom wasn't a problem for me, it was big and near by but the room was awful! It was wallpapered in brown, there were only 3 table lamps in whole room, no proper lighting at all and it was very dark. A mirror was position behind the wardrobe in the darkest corner of the room, I couldn't put make up there at all and I was there for the wedding. After the first night I wanted to change the room but my husband thought it was too much bother. Nobody mentioned that there were no TV in standard rooms, so what do you do on rainy night or morning? Yes, read.. we've done a lot of it. To top it off one of the lamps stopped working. I reported it to the reception, nobody bothered to replace it or even check it. Than the cattle stopped working... We didn't enjoy our 4 nights in there. I had to agree with previous comments that it is very noisy location. The hotel is very old and not sound proof, so be prepared to be kept awake with all commotion on the street at night and to wake up with early traffic noise. On Saturday night the second floor was shaking from vibration created by speakers that are installed in bar ceiling. We tried to watch TV in a sitting room above and couldn't even hear TV there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nqueenslander

Reviewed October 3, 2011

We booked via the internet for one night in September 2011 based on the website info and other guest's ratings. Everything we were expecting was exceeded!! From the ease of entry into the Hotel, to the greeting from Elizabeth and the subsequent showing of our room for the night..... to the 20% off discount voucher for the winebar downstairs.... to the extreme comfort of the bed and the room..... everything was there!!! Quite literally, we were amazed!! We peeped into other rooms while we were exploring and it is incredible that every room is decorated differently!! Even when leaving the following day we were amazed by the service delivered by Elizabeth!! She minded our suitcases while we went exploring and then called us a taxi to the wharf when we needed it. Service at its best!! We were so happy, that we have re-booked to return to The Russell next February, 2012, for our pre-cruise night ..... and we are so looking forward to repeating our experience!!!! Thankyou to Elizabeth and staff for making our stay in Sydney an experience that we want to repeat!!! Warwick and Lea (the lady with 2 broken wrists!!)... can't wait to see you again!!!!

Room Tip: Just book!! We were in a lovely corner suite on Nurses Walk and it was just lovely!!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lea H
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have to stay at least one night each June when I come to Sydney! This hotel is so unique that I picture little London hotels around World War II when I enter The Russell, especially the Reception area and rooms. No two rooms are the same - different furniture, different furnishings, all adding to an antique-y ambience. And so many things are within walking distance - huge slices of cake, Guylian chocolates, cosy restaurants, the laneway button shop, the bead shop, the bookshop with Haigh's choccies, the Rocks Market, the Opera House, a railway station and ferries, ghost tours, years of history - everything one expects at The Rocks. Want modern and boring - stay in an apartment, but quaint and always interesting - The Russell's the place to be! Can hardly wait till June next year!!! And which room shall I have this time . . . ?

Room Tip: Be clear about your needs - some rooms share bathrooms - and there can be noise on weekends from Syd...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Susicam
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Just one night to stay in Sydney and we, my friend and I, spent it staying at this amazing, quaint boutique hotel that also served a great breakfast in the morning. The decor, the staff, the rooms, the atmosphere, the shared spaces and courtyards, the views; we could not fault it for the price which was very reasonable. And in addition to all this was the location, location, location. Less than 5 minutes walk from Circular Quay train station and ferry terminals. Very easy access to the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge and the historic Rocks areas. The Rocks Sunday Market was great fun with amazing stalls of crafts, food, souvenirs, etc.
We would certainly consider staying here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: We were on the back of the building possibly a little quieter as it does front onto George Street. O...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed for just one night at the Russell in Sydney in July. Location was perfect walking distance to the opera house and also the week-end market, the bus stop was right there.
My room was tiny but cozy. Clean place too.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed at the Russell in Sydeny for three days last month, and was delighted at the accommodation. As a young woman travelling alone, you always hope to feel safe and secure in a clean, friendly and atmospheric hotel. This is what I got.
The location is spot on! Literally next door to the major train station, over the road from the Bay and the Opera House, and a super wine bar and restaurant on the lower levels. What more could a girl ask for?
A special mention must be made of Elizabeth, who was a wonderful and friendly host during my stay. She is a gem!

Room Tip: The bathrooms are super!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank LaurieSA
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Hotel located at The Rocks within walking distance of the Opera House. Rooms spacious and decorated beautifully; breakfast provided. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends