“Clean, spacious, comfortable, good location”

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills
Ranked #56 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Dublin, Ireland
“Clean, spacious, comfortable, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

These apartments were excellent, and the area is good for food and bars; it's less than 10 minutes walk to the trains at Central Station, and local bus services take you quickly into the city centre and Circular Quay.
The apartments appeared reasonably clean, however, the poor state of the toilet brushes suggest the cleaning is superficial only.
Our 2-bedroom unit was large and spacious, great for hanging out, eating take-aways and watching movies.
What appeared to be a well-stocked "Welcome Pack" on the worktop, which included a bottle of wine, was in fact an extension of the minibar; luckily we realised that before tucking into some of the goodies!
While the Reception staff were very pleasant, they seemed to have no information on the local bus services or on local restaurants. Crown Street has many good restaurants within a 10 minute stroll from the apartments (Tabou was superb, Pizza e Birra also very good, Bill's - next door - do a HUGE and tasty breakfast, while the Dolphin hotel was not so good).
Internet access at Adina is very, very expensive, about 13 dollars per hour, and what we did was use one of 2 PCs in Reception where the charges were 6 dollars per hour, but with a minimum of 10 mins @ 1 dollar we could keep the cost of checking emails, etc., down. Most European hotels view wireless internet access in the same category as hot water, electricity, pillows - essential and free! Why do Ozzie hotels charge so much for what is now an important part of the overall package?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank PaulTheMajor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before when it was Medina on Crown and I was pleased to see that it had only got better.

I stay here because of the great location. It is surrounded by great cafes, resturants, wine bars and pubs and its an easy walk into paddington, if you like a good walk!

The apartments have beee tastefully refurbished, they are spacious, well equipped and are great value when you consider the options in the area.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and this has generally been my experience there before. I think its a gem!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JethroCanberra
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

I've stayed at the Adina Apartments (formerly Medina Executive) on Crown St on a number of occasions for work and it's usually the same level of service: poor. And this is my biggest complaint about the hotel. It's clean, comfortable, and modern... but the service lets it down big time!

I often have to check in late at night, and I've walked into the hotel and no one has been on the front desk. When someone does finally turn up, there's no apology, and check in procedes, not as a welcome, rather as a chore.

If you need a morning shower to wake you up... forget about it. There's no water pressure at all in the shower, and you're better off washing your face at the basin.

The hotel's proximity to the city of Sydney is fine, the problem is Crown St. There is a nightclub/bar across the road, and the noise of drunks leaving the club at 2am is not uncommon.

If you like/need your sleep, enjoy a friendly smile and like a high pressured hot shower in the morning... star elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

The family and I stayed at the Adina Apartments for 4 days in late June. The apartment was much better than the Sydney weather and we were thankful to have the use of the washing machine and the tumble dryer to dry our clothes on 2 occasions. We faced onto a small side street (looking towards Redfern) and although the view wasn't great we didn't experience any noise issues that had been described in other reviews, however I had requested a quiet room when I did the online booking.

I really liked the size of the apartment which was very spacious, especially the bedrooms and central living area. The master bedroom lacked a TV which was not a problem. There were 2 bathrooms, one with a bath/shower, the other with a shower. The bathrooms showed some signs of wear and tear, but the general condition of the apartment was very good.

The apartment was excellent value at the price of a hotel room closer to the city. Once we figured out how to walk to the central station (about 10 minutes walk) we could explore Sydney easily. The Sydney daily transport passes was great value for the family at $20/adult, $10/child with the other child traveling for free.

The kitchen crockery and cutlery was limited and I certainly wouldn't try and cooking anything more complicated than pancakes (which we did on 2 occasions). I am sure the staff would have reacted well to any request for additional kitchen utensils if needed. When we needed to have the hair dryer replaced (after it started smoking!) the staff reacted very positively and promptly to our request.

Surry Hills (particularly along Oxford Street) had a redlight district feel which I hadn't expected and I felt uncomfortable, yet safe, when we took the family down along Oxford Street on our first evening. After that we avoided the area by using the Central Station.

If I had one complaint it was that the Internet was a rip-off at $25/day. I was able to use free internet at the Surry Hills library which was a block away, but could not get my VPN to work, so I forked out the $25 on one day.

All in all a great apartment, but a little bit out of the “action” area of Sydney.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

I stayed here with a few friends and it was perfect. Great location, nice amenities and it was cheap as I booked it on booking.com. There were a few little glitches, like them forgetting to clean our rooms and re-stocking things but that is pretty minor. It is right in the midst of all the nice cafes and shops in Surry Hills. BUT I booked this place online as I mentioned and they authorised my debit card about 24 hours before. Then they took a $100 bond by 'holding' the fund again on my debit card. So it works out they freeze the intial authorisation amiunt and they charged me again for the 3 nights accomodation ($620). I had $1200 missing from my account because they refund the authorisation amunt which can take up to 5 working days. They didnt tell me about this and I wonder if it is illegal or not. So in other words BEWARE. Maybe its different if you book directly with them im not sure. The staff are a little difficult to deal with as only one person seems to know what they are doing.
Other than that the 2 bedroom weekend away was nice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

Want a spacious apartment close to some of Sydney's finest dining experiences - well you've come to the right place. Comfortable bed - check, ultra reasonable rates through their website - check - absolutely no hassles - check. All in all a comfortable night's stay. Did get a bit of noise during the night, but to be expected in such a midcity locale - certainly nothing unbearable. The furnishings are beginning to show a little sign of wear and tear but that's to be expected and everything was certainly functioning, smart and clean.
The kitchen was larger than you would expect in a lot of modern apartments which would have been fantastic for a longer stay. Didn't have time to check out the leisure facilities so not sure what they were like.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Medina on Crown. The two bedroom setup worked very well for our family with 2 small children - we like to be able to stay up and do things like prepare for the next days' sightseeing after the children are asleep. The neighborhood was great. Very convenient to grocery stores, the train station, and restaurants. The Bills 2 restaurant located on the ground floor was excellent - I wish we could have eaten there more often! They were very accomodating to the kids and for takeaway. We also enjoyed easy access to the city's excellent bus system as we did not have a rental car for most of our stay. I wish there were just a few more amenities in the kitchen such as extra paper towels - i think there was just one dishtowel and once it got wet we were out of luck.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour
Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills? Share your experiences!