“Noise noise noise”

Ranked #24 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Noise noise noise”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The rooms have no internal sound insulation. I could hear conversations in the next room last night. I was woken at about 5.30 by the noise from setting up the restaurant: jingling cutlery, plates and cups being placed down on glass tables. All morning, this din. And because the rooms all open onto gangways that overlook this restaurant atrium, it is going to be a problem for all the rooms. It is like being on a prison wing. The room is large enough and has good amenities with free wifi if you sign up to their frequent visitor programme, but the view I have is straight into an apartment window across the narrow alley outside. If my window opened (which it doesn't) I could have a chat with my "neighbour" in the apartment block as she's hanging towels out to dry on her balcony. We could almost shake hands.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Quelian,

Thank you for taking the time to write an online review from your most recent stay at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour. These reviews are an invaluable source of information and allow us to improve our standards and service.

I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our facilities. We completed a multi-million dollar refurbishment in February, which saw enhancements to our guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby.

Staying in a CBD-based hotel, you will find that there will be buildings around you, but at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour, you have the choice of staying in a room with a view of the city or with an outlook of Darling Harbour. Also, I would like to share with you that the hotel is an atrium hotel, so occasionally noise may travel throughout the building, but our staff do their utmost in preparing the restaurant with minimum noise.

I do apologise for any inconvenience that you encountered during your stay, and should you decide to stay at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour in the future, you can request a room away from the atrium.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write an online review.

Craig Bond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
BRISBANE
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel, more than three times. I remembered the first time was during Christmas, special cheap price on Christmas Day, big room, biggest double bed room. Water front view, just a bit hard for parking, no good for road trip.

Then a few time with friends, recommend to my family, they love it, even compare with other hotel in Australia, great location, decent beds.

Stayed November 2013
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear YINGJIE F,

Thank you so much for highlighting our excellent location - PARKROYAL Darling Harbour is close to some of Sydney's premier attractions, bars and restaurants.

We have an ongoing commitment to Creating Memorable Hotel Experiences for all of our guests and I was pleased to note that you found our facilities and services excellent.

I would like to share with you that we offer valet parking at the hotel and also have the option of self-parking.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward in welcoming you back to the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour in the near future.

Albany, Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband & I stayed 4 nights in August and from the minute we arrived we greeted by friendly staff and this continued throughout our stay including the restaurant staff. Our room was clean and beautifully presented and although we did not have a view of the harbour it was only a short walk away, and I imagine harbour views would be out of our price range. Room was quiet, bed extremely comfortable, all in all we would recommend this hotel to friends and family and if we ever return to Sydney we would stay here.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a room with harbour views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear aussiejane44,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Sydney. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour. Positive reviews such as yours only encourage us to further improve our services and facilities.

We would be delighted to welcome you back at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour on any of your future travels to Sydney.

Ormeau, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

First time we have stayed in Sydney and we had a wonderful time at the Park Royal Darling Harbour.
From the minute we arrived in the taxi we were greeted with outstanding customer service.
Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and went above and beyond for us.
Check in was a breeze also. As we arrived early we left our bags with the concierge and went for a walk, to be called very shortly after advising us our room was ready.
We had a club package which gave us use of the club lounge which was a wonderful experience and enjoyed the canapes and cocktails very much.
Our room had everything we required a very comfy bed, fantastic view of Darling Harbour,wide screen TV, delightful amenities which were heaven to use.
Buffet Breakfast didn't disappoint either, everything you would expect on a buffet and more.
We will certainly be back to stay at this hotel again as the experience was a happy one, we personally could not fault it and I have stayed in many hotels around the world. This hotel gets a rating 5 from me because of the way we were treated from start to finish and also because it was a very nice hotel which had everything we needed and more:)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights and was generally underwhelmed. My booking described the hotel as refurbished, but on checking in I was offered a room on the 10th floor. I knew from Trip advisor that these rooms were not refurbished. I was then given a room on the 4th floor that looked straight out onto a noisy and visually distracting freeway. I persevered and was then given a room facing out the back of the hotel which was reasonably free of street noise. The drawback was that this all took about 40 minutes to sort out from my initial check-in.

The room was a good size, but with windows that do not open I had to constantly switch the aircon off and on to attempt to get a comfortable temperature on a very hot day. A reasonably sized desk and an ok bed but only furnished with pillows and no cushions. With only one rather hard armchair this left the room feeling a little spartan. The bar fridge was fairly quiet which I appreciated. The bathroom was adequate but the toiletries and bath towels were on the economy side with few frills. The hairdryer was good and thankfully not one of the built-in, underpowered models often found in hotels.

I ordered room service on one night and there was a good selection, the food wasn't bad and reasonably priced. There are lots of dining choices close by and a supermarket at Town Hall Station so your options are quite broad.

The main drawback was the noise from the other rooms, the soundproofing is really inadequate. I could hear music, televisions, conversations and coughing! If I had not been so tired from long days at work I don't think I would have slept at all.

Overall I thought the hotel was a little plain and spartan and certainly overpriced for what you get. I doubt I would stay again, as I said there are much better options in Sydney at this price range.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear nina99Sydney,

I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our facilities. We completed a multi-million dollar refurbishment in February this year. The refurbishment included enhancements to our guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby. Also as part of our product upgrade, we have implemented new linen and new state-of-the-art televisions and will be rolling out new beds, a new television provider and installing sound proofing in 2014, ensuring extra comfort for our guests.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write an online review. I sincerely hope that we can accommodate you in the future here PARKROYAL Darling Harbour.

Launceston, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent being a short stroll from the CBD and Darling Harbour. Staff were professional and friendly. We had room 1021 on the top floor. The view from the room although incorporating a main road (hard to avoid in the city) was excellent looking directly over Darling Harbour. The room was spacious with a comfortable king bed, a work desk and space to store your luggage. The blockout curtains worked well and sound proofing was good. The bathroom however was dated and worn with cheap fixtures with exposed screws and stains of years of use. It was quite a let down.
Breakfast was very good with a wide selection and a chef ready to cook your eggs to your liking. However some of the kitchen staff took shortcuts when cleaning up the tables. If cutlery looked like it had not been used they left it there for the next guest. We found this off putting.
Overall a quality hotel but given the exorbitant price despite booking two months in advance we expected a faultless and high quality stay. It did reinforce however that for whatever reason Sydney has made itself a very expensive city.

Room Tip: Room 1021 is located at the end of the hall so minimises corridor noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear TassieTravellers99,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the comments and feedback from your most recent stay at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour. The responses our guests provide us with are an invaluable source of information and allow us to improve our standards and service.

As part of our ongoing commitment to Creating Memorable Hotel Experiences we completed a multi-million dollar refurbishment in February. The refurbishment included enhancements to the majority of our guestrooms, restaurant, bars, event spaces, gymnasium as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby. I would like to share with you that we will be undergoing a refurbishment to the remainder of our guest rooms in early 2014 to bring them inline with the rest of the hotel.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and I do hope that you will return to the hotel to see the final refurbished product.

Kind Regards

horsens
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Booked refurbished king room with dazzling views over Darling Harbour - got a "worn out - have seen better days" non-refurbished room on the 10th floor that have NOT been refurbished yet and the view was mainly a lot of roads. Checked in reception - they said we got the room that was booked for us????? I actually feel a bit, no not a bit a lot ripped off - of good points I can say that the refurbished parts looks nice and would assume the rooms are nice as well. The hotel is in handy walking distance to Darling Harbour.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a refurbished room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dk-rasmus
Dear dk-rasmus,

I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our facilities. The majority of the hotel underwent a multi-million dollar refurbishment in February which included enhancements to a large number of guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby.

I would like to share with you that our guest rooms on Level 1 and 10, which are yet to be refurbished will be undergoing a transformation in early 2014 to bring them inline with the rest of the hotel.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write an online review. I sincerely hope that we can accommodate you in the future here at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour in one of our refurbished rooms.