“Suggest that you stay elsewhere”

PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney
Ranked #25 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I had recently stayed at the Parkroyal hotel due in part to the fantastic service received at the Melbourne Airport Parkroyal.
When we arrived we had found that the hotel was undergoing reservations (we were not told about this when I made the booking and if we were told I would have stayed elsewhere).
We were told that we shouldn't be disturbed by the renovations and presented with a letter that noise would be kept to a minimum. Oh how wrong that was.
We were awoken at 8am by the sound of constant drilling into the wall adjacent to our bed which was relentless.
We went down to the reception and asked to have our room changed. We were advised that "new contractors had only started work yesterday" and that the noise had only started then. We were then offered a room on a higher level away from the racket. From their our stay was perfectly fine.
I would recommend that Parkroyal be more honest and open about their renovations. I have read others on TripAdvisor have had the same experience as Parkroyal was expecting that the renovations to have concluded by September.
Parts of the facilities of the hotel (eg. business centre) were not available due to renovations to customers and no compensation or discounts were offered.
Parkroyal should not be locating customers in rooms next to where the renovations are occurring.
When the hotel is finished, I am sure that it will be a good place to stay. The hotel is reasonably well located and not far from Darling Harbour.
Until the renovations are concluded, I would suggest that you stay well away from the hotel. I would have given the hotel a 2 star rating, but the fact we were moved quite painlessly to another room moved the hotel to 3 stars.

Room Tip: Stay well away from the renovations
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank needs2escape
Harbour150, Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear needs2escape,

Thank you for your post on your recent stay at the hotel.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced from our renovation program on arrival and I was pleased to read we were able to swiftly address your concerns to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

We are nearing the end of our multi-million dollar refurbishment, enhancing our guest rooms, restaurant, bar, event spaces, lobby as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge. We are very excited about the finished product and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to be able to share it with you.

There are newer reviews for PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney

Reviewed November 21, 2012

While I was happy to get a place near to where my conference was being held, I did find this place a bit of a disappointment. I did raise it with the staff on checkout, but I must say the ambience is not 'up there' with many of the other places I have stayed over the years.
I found the valet on arriving excellent/prompt, and check in was quite efficient and helpful. After that, I thought the place went down hill a bit... everything seemed dated - and incredibly obvious that the renovations were everywhere (or future renovation requireements???)
Room was 'ok' - as an Executive King room goes I guess. Wasn't worth what I paid for it tho.
Place was a bit 'old' feeling, dated furniture, desk was chipped and had been abused over the many years of service. AC was noisy, so turned it off at night.
Bathroom was quite nice - probably a good up-tick there...

Breakfast on my day of departure was a disappointment, it was 'okay' for the most part, no condiments/spreads or butter/margarine with the toast ordered off menu - no option on menu at time either. (hm?)

Had some person obnoxiously knock on the door at 7:30 or so, asking when I was planning to check out. Let me say that this put a SERIOUS bad dint on my feeling on the place - like I will go back to a place that does that.
Contacted concierge to get my car brought up - before going downstairs, no luck = was left waiting out front wondering, until someone came up and asked if I was waiting - then my car was brought up. (???)

I do not think this place was worth what they charge - I have paid less at the Hilton and gotten more, (on a per-night basis) along with the Melbourne Grand Hyatt. I have also paid more at other places and 'gotten' the service I expect if I pay that much.

Next time, I will just shell out for the Novotel if I want same/better service I guess. A bit of a waste.

Room Tip: I had a corner room that looked over the front of the hotel, and part of the Western Distributor - r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RaTTyRaTT

Dear RaTTyRaTT,

We appreciate you taking the time to pass on your experiences and feedback from your recent stay at the hotel.

I was disappointed to learn of your experience with our concierge services and our sincere apologies also for the inconvenience on the day of your departure. Rest assured these points have been raised within the respective departments to ensure shortfalls are addressed.

Apologies also for the inconvenience caused as a result of the hotels renovation program, we are nearing the completion of works and are very proud of our new room product.

I trust we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel to affirm your confidence in our service and establish the value for money that the new product represents.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We booked an 'Executive King Room with Harbour View'. What we actually got was a view of the Commonwealth Bank Building and Motorway, with a small harbour view if you stood at the window and looked right. I made one request when booking the room (as I dont sleep too well), a quiet room please, away from the lifts. We were put in a room directly opposite the service room and service lift, with people coming and going all night - they have 24 hour room service and the maid service starting early! Was someone having a laugh? Why didnt we ask for a room change? Because we didnt notice the service room until we had unpacked and went out for dinner. As we were only in Sydney for 4 nights we did not want to waste time. Bad decision! The room was not overly clean in as much as the edges and corners of the carpet were very dusty and the bathroom floor only got vacuumed on one occasion during our 4 night stay. The bottom sheet on our bed had a rip in it and the duvet cover a small hole. We joined the Park Royal Privilege programme, which included free water, newspaper and internet, but had to remind the check in clerk of this. One would have thought it would have shown up without us having to tell him. We also felt that the hotel's website had not been totally honest as to the timeline of the renovations. The foyer looked very temporary and if you wanted to use the bar/restaurant, then you had to go outside and back in a side door. The breakfast buffet was really good, but...there is a 'but'.....this was advertised as being from, say 6.30am (not sure about start time), until 10.00am (on the days we were there). Now, where I come from that would mean that the last customers can come in at 10.00am. At 9.45am the waitress came around to tell us the buffet was being cleared away at 10.00am. Personally we thought the dinner menu was very limited. We did eat dinner there once and the meal was very average. I see others liked the hotel, but it was obviously not for us. We normally stay at the Marriott, Hilton or Sheraton chains and have got used to certain standards. We thought this hotel would offer similar, but obviously not - my mistake as I did the booking and one I wont make again. Having said the above, it was very handily placed for the harbour with all its restaurants, but then so are other hotels.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room away from lifts and service rooms and ensure that is the case when you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KateVB

Dear Kate VB

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments from your recent stay at the hotel.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the hotels renovation - we are close to completing the program of works and are proud of the finished product in our guest rooms and public areas.

It was disappointing to hear of the service shortfalls during your stay - and rest assured your comments have been addressed with our Housekeeping, Front Office and Food & Beverage teams to rectify the areas you have identified to ensure our high standards are maintained now and into the future.

We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to re-affirm your confidence in the hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact myself direct if I can be of any assistance with a future reservation

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the hotel in late July of this year.

The staff at the counter were friendly and helpful it didn't take us long to check in. It was my first time in Sydney and I had come to compete in a national event. We had enjoyed our adventures of exploring through Sydney and for the first night we enjoyed being at the hotel. They had just started the construction. So we were being woken up every morning by the sound of machinery downstairs, we were on a high level but we could still hear it. It didn't bother us though we decided it'd be best if we didn't sleep through our experience in Sydney.

On our last night we choose to take advantage of staying in at the hotel, we were just lying in bed with the television on low talking about how good it would be to live in Sydney.
Everything was so perfect and we were about to get into it, when we got a knock at the door.

I choose to put our special moment on pause and etiquettely answer the door. It was a security guard, I was surprised I was welcoming I said "Hey, what's going on?" I could only imagine he had come on the accord that there had been a sense of danger going around. He was dark seemed to be of Indian or Mediterranean decent which gave me a calm familiar impression, although he wasn't as friendly as what I'd thought he responded to me "You are being too loud, we have had complaints from guests from nearby complaining about your noise level." I was shocked, I tried asking him why he'd think it was us but he cut me off. "If I have to come up here again, we will have to EVICT you from the hotel."

He seemed to have made up his mind as soon as he spoke. We were keeping it really low already so that made me question how thin the walls must be if it was even us (the TV was on and we were talking over it without having to change our pitch.) it really disturbed the feeling I had for the hotel. I felt really betrayed by the hotel that they would be exercising their right to evict us after we paid good money. Not to mention that I couldn't feel the romance of the night, we ended up just sleeping trying not to make a noise like we were hiding out from the Nazi's in an attic.

First of all, HOW THE HELL do these guests know that it was OUR room making this apparent noise?? We were situated in the corner, it could've been ANY of the rooms near us. AND SECOND OF ALL, YOU WILL EVICT US? AFTER telling us ONCE that we were being loud. I would understand if we were "loud" TWICE and this guy had come up to warn us and he told us on the second time that he would have to evict us. BUT ONCE!? When we didn't even know that we were being loud!?! THAT'S JUST RUDE!!! It was just ridiculous, it's common COURTESY. No matter how polite I was he'd cut me off like I was a naughty child. Urrrghh!!

I felt like our trip in Sydney had been ruined, I felt like not going back.
I've been holding back on this review because I know how business are affected by them, but after a few months I felt that because it was still in my mind I should express it.
I will be returning to Sydney but I'm going to choose more wisely the hotel I'll be staying at.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matthew C

Dear Matthew C,

We appreciate the feedback from your stay at the hotel earlier this year.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we apologise for any inconvenience due to our refurbishment - we are close to finalising works and are very proud of the completed product.

Our sincere apologies also for any misunderstanding and inconvenience caused on the final night of your stay, rest assured it is was not the intent of our hotel support staff and your comments will be used to ensure we improve the manner in which these situations are handled.

It would be our pleasure to be able to welcome you back to the hotel and please do not hesitate to contact myself direct should I be able to assist with a future reservation.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed 2 nights with friends on level 8 scattered between a few rooms, very nicely appointed rooms with a lovely view over Darling Harbour. The Harbour itself only a short stroll away ,& has everything to offer a traveller/tourist ,the fireworks on Saturday were brilliant & topped off a great meal. The breakfast buffet was a great way to start each day downstairs & had a fair variety. Concierge were helpful when required. All in all a nice hotel to stay at.
The only downside was the overzealous, over built security monkey who was a tad aggressive Saturday night, he really did think he was judge & executioner if he didn't get his way. Hopefully he's kept on a short chain in the future.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Steve T

Dear Steve T,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback from your recent stay.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the location close to all the Darling Harbour has to offer. Thank you for your positive comments on our breakfast offering, newly refurbished rooms and our concierge services.

Our support staff at the hotel are present to maintain a comfortable environment for all our guests, and while I'm certain we had the best interests of all in mind please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for two nights. I chose this hotel because of its close proximity to The Sydney Entertainment Centre. We were there to see Elton John (Sidebar - he was amazing) I booked a late checkout package, 3:00 pm. This also included a full buffet breakfast each morning and a room upgrade. We had separate rooms and were upgraded from a Superior City View Queen to a Harbour View King room. The other choice was a bottle of wine but we opted for the room upgrade. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment but the construction going on behind the scenes was fairly unobtrusive. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and I have stayed at many around the world . All of the staff here are amongst the most friendly and helpful I have come across in all my years of travelling . The rooms are spotless, modern and comfortable. Best hair dryers. I bought one when I returned home. Buffet breakfast was amazing. We ate dinner in the restaurant one evening because we couldn't be bothered moving after a day of retail therapy. Prices were very reasonable and the food was good. Kudos to the management and team. I'll certainly return .

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Libster1953
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Good location and quality of room. Did feel that to pay almost ten dollars for an hours internet connection was excessive. Every other hotel I have stayed in in Australia gave free internet access regardless of the star rating. Why is it that the more expensive a hotel is to stay in, the less they give you. Not even a complimentary bottle of water! Rather mean I feel!

Room Tip: Don't ever expect a good room if you are travelling alone!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo