“Fish & Chips on a lazy afternoon”
Review of Bondi Beach

$109.87*
Small-Group Blue Mountains Day Trip from Sydney with River Cruise
$487.49*
and up
Private Best of Bondi Tour Including Surf Lesson and Lunch at Icebergs Dining...
Ranked #27 of 494 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Bondi Beach is famous for its glistening ocean, pristine sands, reliable surf and seaside spirit. It's laid back coastal lifestyle, cafe culture, boutique shops and thriving, eclectic community is equally enticing.Come and enjoy the quintessential Australian culture and surf lifestyle of this vibrant seaside community!
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Lil cafe on the beach side of Bondi sells amazing fish & chips - the calamari is also excellent. Best way to enjoy an afternoon on the beach admiring the waves, people and shooing the gulls.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,348)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Maybe I'm used to the 28 degree waters of Antalya, Turkey and Vara Dero, Cuba but seriously, we were there when they said the sea temperatures were the warmest and it was freezing! I couldn't swim at all. But the beach is so beautiful and of course hot Australian men with their surf gear make other men look obsolete.

1  Thank BobLoblawsLawBlog
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Bondi beach was unlike anything I expected. Most of the time, the actual beach you see when you go there is rather disappointing compared to the pictures you see online. But for Bondi beach, it was as perfect as the pictures! White, fine sand that sinks under your feet, you'll be amazed that you'll have trouble walking on it! :) The crowd was friendly and everyone was happy under the sun. There were many surfers too. An advice would be to bring shades though! :) you'll need them. All in all, my only regret is that I should've spent more time there :) cheers!

1  Thank Grace H
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Unless you're a blondie with hot bods, or the cameraman for Bondi Rescue show, the lifeguards are truly slackers!

This were on mid Jan 2013.

We were there with 3 young children and a baby. All 3 kids and myself were stung by a blue bottle jellyfish.
But my 6yo daughter was grabbed in both legs by the jellyfish and she instantly cried out loud in pain. A lifeguard who were 5 meters away from us was chatting with a girl next to his vehicle and didnt care a bit.

I ran to him explaining that my daughter had many2 stings on both her legs, and he said he had to attend another site and will come back. Which then he drove to back to his tower and never came back for us.

I dragged my daughter all the way from near the water to the tower. THEY WOULD HAVE SEEN US WAVING FOR HELP FROM THEIR WATCH WINDOWS!
And they did nothing! Everyone around us were looking at us as my daughter cried in pain.
Her legs got swollen scratches from the jellyfish.

As we reached the tower, a lifeguard walked down the stairs and ignorantly just pointed at the tower directing us to go in there.
Inside, we were only told to get to the nearest shower and thats it!

Anyone who'd ever got stung by a jellyfish would know how bad the pain is! And my 6yo girl was not offered any help at all!!
I knocked the back door of the tower and the same lifeguard opened the door. I asked him if he could help my daughter with anything, as she was still sobbing in pain on the floor, cant walk.
He told me to hold the door and left to get ice.
HOLD THE DAMN DOOR????? There was a clinic bed right next to the door and we were the only ones needing help in that tower. 3 (three) lifeguards were in the tower, attending no one, with one on binoculars watching the window.

So what were we there? Rubbish in pain??

I pulled my daughter in and lay her on the clinic bed and checked on her swelling. The guy came back with a plastic bag of ice and said, it'll be ok soon. Thats it. He didnt even give a good look or spent 30seconds looking at her, comforting or whatever.

I stayed there for a few minutes, waiting till the painkiller I gave her to start working. Good thing I carried Panadeine in my bag and shoved one to her mouth the second I realised she had a jellyfish sticked on her legs. I was worried that someone will ask us to leave, as that lifeguard boy didnt even let us in. I was ready to really yell at him if he ever ask me to get my sick child out.

So the Panadeine worked, and we walked back to our bags and towels.

But that was the only time in my life, that I was forced to watch my child screaming in pain, while the people who were paid to help her did nothing when they can obviously do something.

What a BONDI RESCUE... Or shall I call it, swimsuit ads..

8  Thank Leisabelle B
andy-atbondi, Director atbondi.com at Bondi Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Hi Leisabelle,

I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience. I have been stung by a bluebottle and my young son was also stung at Bondi and screaming in endless pain. It's really awful.

I have to defend the Bondi Rescue lifeguards on this occasion though. Believe me when I say they have seen thousands of bluebottle stings in their working career and they know that your daughter was not in danger for her life.

I don't know their full medical scope but I understand the lifeguards would never administer strong drugs to a 6 year old, they would call the Paramedics if need be. In fact they told you the most effective treatment for bluebottle stings - running the area under hot water, which immediately deactivates the toxins.

The lifeguards are there to save people whose lives are in danger. If they were attending to your daughter they can't keep their eyes fully on the surf and be ready at a second's notice. If you watch the show, you will know every second can count. If your daughter was stung then soon many others would probably be stung and if they were helping your daughter then they would have to help everyone and that's when real mayhem can start at the tower. I'm sure you understand.

Having said all that, however, even though the lifeguards have seen thousands of bluebottle stings, it sounds like they should have explained things more clearly to you and perhaps had a much better 'bedside manner'. It's so distressing when your child is screaming in pain and they could have perhaps been more sympathetic to that.

Waverley Council (who employ the lifeguards) offer to handle all complaints promptly under full investigation so I encourage you to write to them at info@waverley.nsw.gov.au.

I'm sure you know the lifeguards really do an incredible job and are actually not 'slackers' at all - thousands of people who have been saved will attest to that.

Thanks for voicing your concerns. I hope you will return to Bondi Beach and enjoy a much better experience next time.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

What a disappointment after all the hype it's just a beach and a rather small one at that ! having grown up in Southern California and all the beaches in and around LA I found Bondi to be a let down