“Like staying with the friends you always wished you had!”

Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel
Ranked #14 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This was our fourth stay at Simpsons in the past four years so either we are in a rut, or they are doing something right. Of course it is the latter. Staying at Simpsons is like staying with old friends, except none of our old friends have such a wonderful house! As on the last trip, we had the Ellis Rowan suite which is a large room in the front with a balcony on the street. The street noise is minimal. The hotel has wi-fi which worked on my iPhone in the room after Ree gave me the password. Ree and Keith were as friendly and helpful as always with Ree advising us on a Sunday ferry ride. We went to Manly where we lunched at the wonderful new Manly Pavilion restaurant. For dinners we did not stray far from Simpsons as we ate at Lotus, Fratelli Paradiso, and Fratelli Fresh, all of which were excellent.

We find only two problems with Simpsons. We Americans can never get used to the hot and cold mixing valves in the bath (thought there was a water shortage). And there is never enough time to sit in the beautiful downstairs library by the fire and read the numerous interesting books!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 13, 2010

Very nice hosts with a plenty of ideas what to do. Great atmosphere, very large and lovely rooms.
We come back, be sure. Not only 3 days but a whole week.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2010

this is a small hotel by any standards - extremely friendly,comfortable and classy.
The rooms are large and comfortable- complementary internet access. Position for tourists a convenient and pleasant 15 mins walk to the Opera House- in winter anyway the botanical gardens close at 5pm to make it a longer return trip. Good local restaurants on hte same road. The value issue is really a function of the British pound at A$1.6 to £1- so nothing was good value in Oz this year.
Keith very kindly allowed us use of the lounge and bathroom until the evening of our departure which gave us a very calm start to long haul back to UK. He also gave us very practical tourist advise- very highly recommended all round- many thanks!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I travel 100 days + annually for over 15 years, and have regular good & consistent experiences in the international 4 & 5 star chain hotels but look out for somewhere different if I can. Sydney is a city by weather and topography that offers the opportunity to enjoy morning and evening walks, and Simpsons of Potts Point facilitates that with a 15 to 25 minute run to most places in the Central Business District. Spacious rooms, a home away from home, owners and staff that care, coupled with a decent breakfast and inclusive internet access if you must. All the restaurants / cafes and a little shopping around the corner in Potts Point, and local convenience stores for personal items or snacks. The House is a gem to boot.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I took my wife for a surprise night away at Simpsons. My wife is particularly fastidious about where she will stay and is a light sleeper. I was somewhat concerned about how our night away might go!
I need not have worried as our stay at Simpsons was perfect. Beautiful clean room, great location - an island of solitude close to everything. As my wife said to me after our stay if I had told her before we stayed, that Potts Point was the place to stay she wouldn't have believed me. At Simpsons it is all there, close to the city, the gardens and the nightlife in Kings Cross. So much to do or so little to do - sipping the complimentary port in front of the roaring log fire in the sitting room come library at Simpsons.

Even though my wife and I generally sample a different 5 star hotel each year we will be going back to Simpsons again, it is so close to everything but just so relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Simpsons of Potts Point is a gorgeous heritage B&B right in the heart of Sydney. Reasonably priced for what it offers, it offer individualised comfort more like staying with friends that a big chain experience - even if the chain is high class it cant match the warmth of a stay at Simpsons. From the genorous lounge at the front of the house , with a lovely fire burning and decanters of sherry and port and the complimentary water and juice in the mini fridge to the beautiful original art works around all the walls and antique furniture - it is a very homey experience - the sort of home that one woudl love to own in te heart of Sydney if one were a millionaire. Thanks for a lovely stay and return visit - it is still just as good as it was when I used to stay years ago.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I booked for the night of our wedding. We are both 34 and found that this was a warm and friendly place to spend the first night of our marriage.
We had gone and looked at the different rooms before booking, Ree was very warm, funny and helpful. The rooms are all decorated differently and we booked the room next to the Cloud room. It had a balcony that looked over the front of the property which is tree lined and has some lovely buildings.
The front 'drawing' room is filled with very tasteful art books, palnts and leather couches. Internet is available for guests as to is a bathroom to shower in if your room is not ready.
We didn't have breakfast yet I did see the backroom where they served and it was bright and from the selections of cereals and jams I could see sure it would be as great as the rest of the facilties.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple