“Quaint hotel with good old fashioned attention to service”

Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel
Ranked #17 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I stayed here for three nights in early September, and booked this hotel based on other reviews here on TripAdvisor. I wasn't disappointed. I guess I am over the 'big chain' hotels where you are one guest in a thousand. Here at Simpsons, you are always greeted by name, and Keith & Ree were always really pleasant and helpful without being too intrusive.

Being from the other end of Australia, whenever I fly into Sydney, I arrive at around 6am. Previous trips, I have had to wait until mid afternoon to check in, which means a lot of time wandering around Sydney town with my luggage in tow. When I arrived at Simpsons at 0630, I rang the phone by the door, and Ree let me and allowed me to get to my room and have a morning catch up nap. Even though their stated check in time is 3pm. It is these sort of little details that really make a difference.

Likewise, my flight leaving Sydney was late, and Keith let me check out at mid day, and gave me access to their wonderful reading lounge for the afternoon to while away the hours until I caught my taxi out. This is more like a private club than a hotel!

Previous commenters here have mentioned the single computer in the lounge. Yes, that is true, but the hotel also has wireless internet, and I had no problems connecting to it with my Macbook in my room during my stay (however my iPhone refused to connect to it at all for some reason?!?!)

My only real wish was for a working style desk in the room, but I ended up working on the little coffee table which was fine. I was too busy out catching up with friends etc. anyhow. Every room in the hotel is different, so I expect that some of the others may have a desk. Perhaps I should have asked about this when I booked.

Location wise, it is in a beautiful spot. Yes it's true you can walk into the city centre in 20 to 30 minutes or so, but be warned that you have lots of stairs and hills to contend with, so make sure you are reasonably fit. Not for the faint hearted or the infirm!

I always use the trains in Sydney, and Kings Cross station is only a 5 minute walk down the road (past lots of beautiful cafes and shops). I was thinking of bringing the whole family down next year, but just be aware that if you catch the train back on a Saturday night, you will have to walk through all of Kings Cross and it's 'interesting' inhabitants with your family! :)

All in all, a great stay, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel

Reviewed August 25, 2009

We have stayed at Simpsons on and off over the past five years. It's more like being in your own luxurious home, rather than a hotel. You book a room, which will be on one of just three floors (ground, first and second) and have breakfast in the large sunroom at the back of the house. Over the years the breakfast has remained the same; that's one of the attractions, I do love the rhubarb compote! There's a choice of food available which will set you up nicely for the day.

There's a huge comfy loungeroom on the groundfloor with internet provided. In winter, which is when we tend to go, there's a lovely warm fire in the lounge, masses of books to read and lovely music playing.

This isn't like your typical hotel with masses of staff. Keith and Marie run Simpsons with the assistance of a few other excellent staff. If you have any questions about how to get somewhere or where to go then Keith and the others are a mine of information. We had no hesitation in recommending Simpsons to friends coming from Britain (who were going to arrive jetlagged in Sydney) and had only four days there.

The location is absolutely the best; if we lived in Sydney we'd choose Potts Point. We always walk throught the Botanic Gardens to the Opera House (40 mins or more) but you can catch a bus (?$) or a taxi ($8 -1$12) to the city or catch the train from Kings Cross which is just a short walk away. We have often walked back to Simpsons from the station at Kings Cross (ten minutes at max) late at night and, despite its reputation, the area feels very safe.

I should add that Points Pott feels a world away from Kings Cross. It's quiet at night and you'd never think you were in the middle of a big city.

The local deli's are fantastic. I don't think you'd need to cook if you lived there. Check out "Fratelli Fresh", "Yellow" and our favourite "Bottega del Vino" - their Nepalese Lentil Soup is out of this world. There's even a Woolworths which is open from 7am to 12 midnight seven days a week.There's are numerous restaurants but book ahead if you want to go to one of the popular ones.

But what I like most of all about Simpsons are the Ellis Rowan flower prints. Google Ellis Rowan if you've never heard of her. These flower paintings are utterly amazing and the whole house/hotel is full of them.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in July. We were looking for a small, charming bed and breakfast from where we could explore Sydney. The building is beautiful and is located in a quiet area. We stayed in a dormer room on the 3rd floor. It was very spacious, clean, and first class. Keith met with us each day to help us plan out our day. He has maps and tourist booklets. He also gave us great suggestions. If you do not know Sydney then his guidance is invaluable. We purchased public transportation travel cards at the Sydney airport train station. These gave us unlimited use of trains, ferries, and buses. We paid a little more to get round trip train transportation from the airport to Potts Point (Kings Cross station). We were able to walk from the train station to the bed and breakfast (about half a mile, rolling our suitcases). The location of this B&B is perfect. It is in a quiet area close to restaurants, but it is also very close to the botanical gardens, opera house, Harbour Bridge, and circular quay where you catch the ferry boats to Manly Beach or Darling Harbour. We also walked to museums. It is expensive to stay here, but definitely worth it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2009

As I live in Hong Kong, when I travel I try to find unique small hotels of character rather than the usual international chain hotels. Simpsons is one such place. It's like a grand private home with hospitality to match. On the edge of the city, it is located in one of the smartest areas for shopping, restaurants and galleries. It will be my home away from home when I next visit Sydney.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Simpsons Hotel in Sydney was a great place to stay while my husband and I had a weekend in Sydney. The hotel itself is a lovely looking heritage building with all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies. We had the use of the Cloud Suite which was lovely and very comfortable. We were able to explore Sydney CBD which is within easy walking distance. The staff were most helpful and we would most certainly recommend this hotel to others. We will stay there again when we go to Sydney. Great place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2009

After living in Sydney for many years we were keen to stay some where a bit different... we'd read previous reviews about Simpson's and were pleased to find this hotel lived up to our expectations. From the accomodations to the staff, it was an all round great experience! Whether it was returning back from our nights out and relaxing in front of the fire in the sitting room or enjoying a leisurely breakfast in the morning - this was like nothing else we have found in Sydney and was a wonderful way to spend a couple of winter's days!

We stayed in one of the best rooms and with the king bed, high ceilings and lots of natural light, we were in heaven. Sure there were a couple of minor things that could be (and I'm sure will be) fixed - like the cracked sink in the bathroom - but all in all, it was a joy to stay somewhere that exuded charm and character and most of all, wasn't part of a chain!

We will certainly be recommending this hotel to friends and family and will be return visitors during our next visit to Sydney!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Sydney was our first stop on a monthlong tour of Australia and Simpson's was an ideal setting for our family of five, including three small children. From the outset, Rhee was an outstanding ambassador for neighborhood, city, and nation. We found the Potts Point neighborhood to be an island of reality in a sea of tourists. A short stroll to the harbor, center city, or King's Cross, yet a place where one could retreat when the desire to act more like a local kicked in.

And what a fine retreat. The house is spectacular; our room was spacious enough for five; the breakfast was plentiful and fresh. If I could change one thing about the hotel, I'd put it a block away from a train station or ferry dock to enable further exploration of the surrounds. There are hotels in locations that meet this description, but they can't match the quality of service or value. There's no question that we would choose this hotel on a return trip to Sydney.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family